mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Linux

Old 2007-01-31, 12:36   #1
Cruelty

May 2005

2·809 Posts
Default ?b00n xuniL etelpmoc rof xuniL hcihW

I am planning to migrate my C2Q platform from Windows XP Pro to Linux. Which Linux distribution would you recommend from the user-frendliness perspective?

Apart from running LLR and sr(x)sieve this box has an NTFS partition that is shared over LAN with other computers so it has to be easily configurable.
Cruelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 13:01   #2
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

23×19×23 Posts

I recommend Ubuntu Linux for ease of use, although I have had difficulties running OpenPFGW on a Pentium4.

Gentoo Linux will give a very lean and fast system, but needs some trickery to install it.

"Parted" allows you to build a dual boot system on one disk without destroying an existing Windoze system by resizing the NTFS partition (given there is enough free space). (Parted is used during the Ubuntu install -- but it wise to back up your Windoze stuff first.)

NTFS can be problematic -- it is easy to read but I am not sure of the status of writing to it.

Debian, Fedoro and Mandriva are other easy-to-use systems.

Linux is very flexible; For instance you could run a live CD and use a USB stick for file space.

The choice is yours.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 13:49   #3
Cruelty

May 2005

31228 Posts

Are there any performance differences between different distributions? Or is it safe to assume, that distributions based on the same kernel version will perform alike?
Old 2007-01-31, 14:19   #4
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

25·7·11 Posts

I'd say the performance will be pretty much the same. Maybe some distros will use different window managers which can be a resouce hog to different extents, but usually all of them let you switch to a WM you like. Different distros may also run a different number of daemons in the background which will eat some cpu cycles, though usually not too much so, and you can always disable the ones you don't need.

If you use arithmetic libraries like GMP, please don't use the packaged one that comes with the distro. It's usually configured for the least common denominator, i.e. a plain Pentium, and will perform horribly on a modern machine.

Alex
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 14:31   #5
Cruelty

May 2005

2×809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akruppa View Post
If you use arithmetic libraries like GMP, please don't use the packaged one that comes with the distro. It's usually configured for the least common denominator, i.e. a plain Pentium, and will perform horribly on a modern machine.
It makes me think then if I need to do something special to run LLR and srsieve under Linux @ "full speed"?
Old 2007-01-31, 18:09   #6
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

23×19×23 Posts

Quote:
Are there any performance differences between different distributions? Or is it safe to assume, that distributions based on the same kernel version will perform alike?
With Gentoo everything is compiled from the source code, to match your machine. You can even compile the kernel, switching on what you require and switching off that which don't need. It's the same with the GMP library -- GMP will run better if compiled specifically for your processor/system.

LLR's source is available on Jean Penne's webpage, but I am not sure this source is for Linux. Is srsieve's source available?
Old 2007-01-31, 18:31   #7
Cruelty

May 2005

2·809 Posts

One more thing I would like to ask: is there any remote access software for linux inluding some client-software for Windows? I mean some GUI based software not command-line...
Old 2007-01-31, 18:55   #8
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

66508 Posts

For "remote desktop" to Linux you could use a VNC (virtual network connection) implementation such as that based on SSH (secure sheel server) called TightVNC; Fire up the VNC server on LInux and then just connect from the client on Windoze. (VNC is commonly included in distros.)
Old 2007-02-01, 23:31   #9
geoff

Mar 2003
New Zealand

13×89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruelty View Post
It makes me think then if I need to do something special to run LLR and srsieve under Linux @ "full speed"?
No, LLR and the srsieve programs don't use external libraries for anything time-critical, so nothing special needs to be installed.

The precompiled 64-bit srsieve binary is optimised for the K8, there might be some advantage in recompiling it using different CFLAGS for GCC on the Core2.

Last fiddled with by geoff on 2007-02-01 at 23:32 Reason: typ
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-15, 11:41   #10
Cruelty

May 2005

2·809 Posts

OK, over the weekend I will be experimenting with 64-bit distribution of Ubuntu on my quad-core machine.
Still I have several questions:

1. Which executable version should I use: static or dynamic (BTW: what's the difference).

2. How to compile program from existing source code.

3. What "flags" should be used when compiling for Core2 architecture to squeeze every last bit of performance
Old 2007-02-15, 13:02   #11
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

23×19×23 Posts

1. A dynamic program relies on the operating system having relevant libraries.

2. By running the author's "./configure" usually produces a "Makefile" based on what is available on your system. You then run "make" with the appropriate parameter (such as "install") -- best to read the "readme" for instructions.

3. use "man gcc"

If you are referring to "LLR" then I guess George or Jean will point you in the right directions for any switches you could try.