mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Linux

Old 2020-03-29, 19:07   #1
brannondorsey

Mar 2020

12 Posts
Default Running mprime in a Kubernetes cluster

Hi folks,

Just wanted to share a little project I've been working on recently. I've packaged mprime as a Helm chart, so that it can be easily deployed in a Kubernetes cluster and run as a low priority workload to donate idle compute.

You can find the package on the new-ish Helm Hub distributed package search: https://hub.helm.sh/charts/brannon/mprime

And the source code is available here: https://github.com/brannondorsey/helm-charts/

I've been running it on a hobby cluster for a few weeks and had great results. Its great for shorter tasks, like trial factoring, as mprime containers can be configured to be preempted when higher priority workloads are required in the cluster.

I'd be curious if anyone else is running K8s clusters or uses Helm.

P.S. First post here, so please go easy on me . Not sure if this is the right subforum for this post. Happy to move it or continue the conversation elsewhere if that's preferred.
brannondorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-30, 00:17   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

23·439 Posts

Not sure how you have it all configure, but there is at least 1 important factor to consider with clusters.
For the best total throughput, don't run a single test on more than a sing;e chip. Once you start using more than one there is a great drop off. If you are only trying to test one number as fast as possible, more than one chip can be used. But if you want to do as many tests as possible in a given period, keep each test on a single chip.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-22, 21:10   #3
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

171516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannondorsey View Post
I've been running it on a hobby cluster for a few weeks and had great results. Its great for shorter tasks, like trial factoring, as mprime containers can be configured to be preempted when higher priority workloads are required in the cluster.
Just a sort of FYI, mprime implies cpu use, not gpu use, and TF is better done on gpus, with P-1 and primality testing on cpus. P-1 is quicker than primality testing, but takes more memory.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote