mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous Math

Old 2015-05-09, 19:25   #1
Stan

Dec 2011

1001002 Posts
Thumbs up MM127

I believe I have a hard and fast proof that MM127 is prime.
How can I get it verified without broadcasting the method on the web?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-09, 20:13   #2
legendarymudkip

Jun 2014

23×3×5 Posts

You probably wanted the miscellaneous math forum. If you really do have a proof, which I doubt you do, a lot of people (especially on this forum) would be very interested to see it, so don't hide it. What if someone comes across it and publishes it, but you didn't want to? You get no credit for the "proof".
legendarymudkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-09, 21:01   #3
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Why would you want to hide the method? Existing methods are inadequate.
If you have a new method, then publish it. You'll be famous.

Where did you get you math degree?

Would a moderator move this to misc. math please?

Last fiddled with by R.D. Silverman on 2015-05-09 at 21:02
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-09, 21:22   #4
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Stan, the fact that you have made this public, time-stamped post on the Internet is enough to prove your ownership of the proof, should you indeed (which is quite unlikely) have one.

You may therefore feel free to outline and discuss your research, safe in the knowledge that (1) you are protected against plagiarism by your very own original post, and (2) you are among some of the best and most interested minds that you shall ever meet outside of a formal academic setting - both lay and professional - in mathematics and computer science.

If your result is indeed correct, there would be cause for great celebration in mathematics. We would therefore be most interested in seeing your work, and assure you that your ownership of it is fully secure.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-09, 22:09   #5
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

1D2416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
Stan, the fact that you have made this public, time-stamped post on the Internet is enough to prove your ownership of the proof, should you indeed (which is quite unlikely) have one.

You may therefore feel free to outline and discuss your research, safe in the knowledge that (1) you are protected against plagiarism by your very own original post, and (2) you are among some of the best and most interested minds that you shall ever meet outside of a formal academic setting - both lay and professional - in mathematics and computer science.

If your result is indeed correct, there would be cause for great celebration in mathematics. We would therefore be most interested in seeing your work, and assure you that your ownership of it is fully secure.
One major hallmark of a crank is that they believe others will "steal" their ideas if they post them.
They make extremely bold claims then fail to back them up.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-09, 22:19   #6
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

19·499 Posts

Don't forget that there is an award available. You want to be the first to claim it, before anyone else does. GIMPS has over a thousand outstanding assignments above the 100M threshold, so we might get it first if you don't hurry up and publish your method.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-10, 00:13   #7
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

If you are able to prove that MM127 is prime without using the LL test, you'll have accomplished something which hasn't been done in years. The largest prime number at a given time has "belonged" to GIMPS for a very long time.

TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-10, 00:44   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5×1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
If you are able to prove that MM127 is prime without using the LL test, you'll have accomplished something which hasn't been done in years. The largest prime number at a given time has "belonged" to GIMPS for a very long time.

Well no one has found a factor yet so it must be prime.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-10, 01:26   #9
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

838410 Posts

though I know I'll make no progress as usual it's still getting me to think of applying the multinomial theorem to the thought about s_{p-2}=a*x where a or x is a mersenne number and knowing a modular result on a power of that mersenne number I'm thinking of how I can apply it to the whole multinomial theorem and the values it gives when all x values are the same but as usual I'm painfully stupid.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-10, 03:48   #10
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Well no one has found a factor yet so it must be prime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
And then there's a proof by challenge, where you challenge everyone and anyone to explain (briefly) why they believe, and when the result is nothing additional, one concludes there is no dog.
Yes, I have seen this proof before. You apply the same sort of reasoning as in the proof of no dogs and voilà!

My cats give a slightly smaller number of shits about the MM127 proof, however..
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-10, 05:11   #11
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5×1,223 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I have seen this proof before.
Plenty of people have come up with this "proof" so it must be right by sheer popularity.
Quote:
You apply the same sort of reasoning as in the proof of no dogs and voilà!
There is no spoon.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote