mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-07-02, 16:58   #1
PrimeCroat
 
Feb 2004
California

32 Posts
Default Explorer stealing cycles from Prime95

Greetings, everyone,
I searched forums to find an answer to why Explorer would be stealing 2% (leaving Prime95 with 98%) of the CPU cycles without any success. Only one of computers have this 'anomaly' and all are running WinXP. Any ideas, solutions or directions to resolution? Greatly appreciative.
PrimeCroat is offline  
Old 2004-07-03, 13:47   #2
optim
 
optim's Avatar
 
Nov 2003
European Union

11010002 Posts
Talking

use Linux! :-)
optim is offline  
Old 2004-07-04, 12:40   #3
wpollycantlogin
 

32×1,031 Posts
Default

I've been suffering these problems too.
Anybody can give an explanation of this?
 
Old 2004-07-04, 14:10   #4
dsouza123
 
dsouza123's Avatar
 
Sep 2002

2·331 Posts
Default

Maybe the settings, active desktop, some of the desktop properties will increase CPU use. (XP has options to turn off about a dozen things.)

Though it is mainly when doing something on the desktop, maybe even having a background image (has to be redrawn).
dsouza123 is offline  
Old 2004-07-04, 14:26   #5
optim
 
optim's Avatar
 
Nov 2003
European Union

1508 Posts
Default

I wonder what would happen if you terminated the EXPLORER.EXE process. Have you tried that? (I don't use win now so I cannot test it, probably it will say explorer.exe is system critical and prevent you from terminating it, but you can still try with third party process manager).

After terminating explorer.exe you will have no start menu and no taskbar. To re-start explorer.exe you could try these solutions:
1. let the default windows task manager running and use its Run feature to restart explorer.exe
2. use a third party util or write your own program if you do programming to restart explorer.exe for you after you wake up, return from job, etc. The util could be just a small window on the screen where you can click and it launches explorer.exe. pretty simple.

Another solution is to run prime95 as a service and logoff from windows.

Also try to disable automatic drive/search indexing. This feature scans your HDD from time to time and builds a small database which helps you do faster file searches.

Last fiddled with by optim on 2004-07-04 at 14:31
optim is offline  
Old 2004-07-05, 04:59   #6
ColdFury
 
ColdFury's Avatar
 
Aug 2002

26×5 Posts
Default

Explorer.exe is the "shell". Terminating it makes all the icons and start menu disappear. If you terminate explorer.exe, it will automatically restart in a couple seconds.
ColdFury is offline  
Old 2004-07-05, 08:00   #7
optim
 
optim's Avatar
 
Nov 2003
European Union

23×13 Posts
Default

from what version of windows it automatically restarts?
optim is offline  
Old 2004-07-06, 16:48   #8
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100011111111002 Posts
Default

In NT, I can quite explorer and not have it restart. Then Using tackman, I can restart explorer.
Uncwilly is online now  
Old 2004-07-07, 04:02   #9
ColdFury
 
ColdFury's Avatar
 
Aug 2002

26×5 Posts
Default

It will restart in XP. I haven't tried it on any other versions.
ColdFury is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 7 Explorer forced restarts TObject Software 2 2013-05-10 01:19
3n + 1 cycles for n = 2^57,885,161-1 Unregistered Information & Answers 7 2013-02-16 02:24
Is "piracy" stealing? jasong Soap Box 94 2012-03-20 11:33
CPU cycles Unregistered Information & Answers 0 2007-07-19 12:24
Screen saver stealing CPU with monitor off? quicky Software 5 2005-11-18 22:43

All times are UTC. The time now is 22:10.

Sun Jan 24 22:10:41 UTC 2021 up 52 days, 18:21, 0 users, load averages: 2.50, 2.07, 1.89

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.