mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Wikis > Prime Wiki

Old 2018-12-10, 08:54   #1
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

23×3×7×17 Posts
Default Testing a new (Number) Wiki

I've set up a Wiki for holding data, information, project status and results of prime numbers related topics in math.

The Main Page only shows some math examples with TeX-sources so far.
There's also the ability to show pages in different languages: German and English so far, English default, language can be chosen by user.

I'm now searching for topics to show and how to put them in the Wiki. There's perhaps a chance to put a database in background to show prime pages like my on rieselprime.de.

The category-tree is just an example, other categories should be:
- projects and their status
- links to external pages, forums, data collections
- PDF documents or ASCII data files for download like results or HowTo-descriptions
- pictures

Topics like primes (Proth, Riesel, Mersenne, Fermat, Cullen/Woodall,Carol/Kynea, Williams), sequences (Aliquot, HomePrimes), factorizations (Cunningham, Homog.Cunningham, XYYX, Kamada-like), programs (Prime95, LLR, PFGW, srsieve) in use and many others can be shown there.
This forum is good to get info for current status of running projects, but it's hard to find historical results or any information about old projects.

A Wiki has some advantages:
- every (registered) user can edit pages, so perhaps update own results/searches
- the history of edits will show who and when edits were done and can be controlled by everyone
- a clear categorization of pages with links to related pages and external info keeps finding info fast

ToDo:
- high use of templates to make a user as easy as possible to edit or update pages (like inserting a search result in a table)
- clear category tree

PrimeGrid is a great project but their results are spreaded in threads or only available at Top5000. NPLB or CRUS, Aliquot seq. or HomePrimes, Carol/Kynea, all projects big by themselves but spreaded all over and it's impossible to handle all results by a few admins.
Reserving ranges could be done in the Wiki and is availabe directly by everyone after saving including history.
The Wiki can be extended by use of many available extensions (see here for currently installed ones).

You got some ideas how to set up such Wiki? Please feel free to post here.
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-10, 13:12   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
PrimeGrid is a great project but their results are spreaded in threads or only available at Top5000. NPLB or CRUS, Aliquot seq. or HomePrimes, Carol/Kynea, all projects big by themselves but spreaded all over and it's impossible to handle all results by a few admins.
https://twitter.com/primegrid may know as might matt parker from numberphile ( he runs primegrid on his computer).
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-12, 11:44   #3
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

1011001010002 Posts

I've build a page for the Williams prime base 5 (4*5^n-1) as an example.

- data put in sections: these can be queried to create tables
- reservation done by calling a template on top of the page (reservations by user can be created, too)
- history included (in my opinion a very important information)
- external links for more information
- categories set up and assigned

The same could be done for other sequences like Carol/Kynea, aliquot seq., Riesel/Proth, etc.

All the input or especially things like reservation date+name, searched range, found primes could be included by filling a form or template, but need much time for developing and testing.
A basic framework could be given, the data have to be filled in by hand.
The history of the page can be shown and page revisions can be compared

On my jigsaw-wiki it looks like this:

- on top of the picture there's the form for input
- the resulting page created by the template is on bottom, including all graphic display and the categories
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	puzzle.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	19407  
Old 2018-12-14, 14:52   #4
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

23·3·7·17 Posts

I've made some additions on the main page and further configurations and extensions added.
Old 2018-12-15, 23:01   #5
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

23×3×7×17 Posts

I've added on the Main Page an example for template usage and creating displays and tables.

The data pages for CarolKynea-primes are only holding current data, but can also supplemented by historical data like range reservations (like links to this forum) and results found.

The resulting table view of all CK-bases (here only 3) is a first example: the rows for base, limit, date and res should only appear once and the counting of found primes has to be added. This can be done by changing the table contruction in a next step but it's functioning at a first glance.

Editing any CK-base page say inserting a new found prime, the table page has not to be changed.
Old 2018-12-16, 12:45   #6
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

25·13 Posts

So much for MediaWiki being a poor container of structured data.

I'm dying to see how a Riesel prime list on this wiki would compare to the existing Riesel site, and how the data structure would compare to my development version.

Last fiddled with by Happy5214 on 2018-12-16 at 12:45
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-16, 12:59   #7
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

54508 Posts

These are only some tests to show how it <b>could</b> work, but it would be the best to include PHP-scripts and the database to hold such data and create queries from it.

My PHP skills are very small so need help there.
I also considered to use ext. Wikibase, but seems not easy to handle, too.

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2018-12-16 at 12:59
Old 2018-12-16, 13:10   #8
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

1A016 Posts

The Wikibase extension used by Wikidata? Its data model is non-relational, so I don't know if that would be a good fit anyway. Try storing each prime as a separate statement...

Did you want a similar data model to the one I have (which has been modified from the one you originally gave me) or something different? Keep in mind that I've only implemented the Riesel list and (near-)Woodall primes.
Old 2018-12-16, 13:12   #9
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

1101000002 Posts

I have no experience writing MediaWiki extensions from scratch, but I have contributed to several existing ones, so I am somewhat familiar with their structure. I'll make no promises, but if you can wait until the summer, I may be able to write something up.
Old 2018-12-17, 00:10   #10
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

B2816 Posts

No hurry, I also have to check how different data like numbers/primes a Wiki can hold and display.
There will not much data stored in the Wiki by now, first making minds how such pages and categories could look like and how to sort in numbers and related topics.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 2018-12-18, 15:18   #11
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

1A016 Posts

I don't know if anyone else is having this issue, but the formulas are not rendering for me. I see something like "[math]N \supset \mathbb P = \{ p_n \mid n \in N \}[/math]".