mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2004-02-06, 13:30   #1
Matthias C. Noc

Dec 2003

23·3 Posts
Question WUtemp directory

Hello,

is it possible that the program (prime95 23.7.1) is creating a directory WUtemp in the root directory when it is uploading the results/or downloading a new exponent or so? If yes, would it be possible to add a routine that is removing that directory automatically when the data transfer is finished. I hate to have unnecessary directories in my root directory. Thanks!

Best,

Matt
Matthias C. Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 13:46   #2
TauCeti

Mar 2003
Braunschweig, Germany

2×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias C. Noc
Hello,
is it possible that the program (prime95 23.7.1) is creating a directory WUtemp in the root directory when it is uploading the results/or downloading a new exponent or so?
WUtemp has nothing to do with prime95. It contains files if you use the windowsupdate-function (windowsupdate.microsoft.com)
TauCeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 13:59   #3
Matthias C. Noc

Dec 2003

2410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauCeti
WUtemp has nothing to do with prime95. It contains files if you use the windowsupdate-function (windowsupdate.microsoft.com)
Well, thanks, then Windows-Update must have used the chance to get itself an update while prime95 was communicating with the prime server.

I'm sorry that I have blamed prime95!!!
Matthias C. Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 20:26   #4
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2×33×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias C. Noc
Well, thanks, then Windows-Update must have used the chance to get itself an update while prime95 was communicating with the prime server.

I'm sorry that I have blamed prime95!!!
No big deal. With the latest Windoze OSes the Windows Update function comes preinstalled. Getting the updates is important, but I think that it is activated by default now. With W2K and XP it runs as a service; if you're using one of those and want to shut it off I can tell you how.
PrimeCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote