mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2009-09-18, 07:58   #1
amandahugnkiss

19·503 Posts
Default prime95 on apache webserver?

Hello, I was wondering whether or not I can run prime95 on my very own webserver. I am not too familiar with the unix environment, but I think it is a shame, that my server is running 24/7 without actually using its memory and CPU too much. Therefore I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I just install the linux version on my apache?
2. Where would I be installing it to?
3. Is there some kind of PHP interface, I could use?

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 2009-09-18, 18:30   #2
lfm

Jul 2006
Calgary

52×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandahugnkiss View Post
Hello, I was wondering whether or not I can run prime95 on my very own webserver. I am not too familiar with the unix environment, but I think it is a shame, that my server is running 24/7 without actually using its memory and CPU too much. Therefore I have a couple of questions:

1. GIMPS has nothing to do with apache. They are separate and independent programs.

2. Apache runs on both MS Windows and Linux operating systems (and some others too). Which OS are you using?

3. Many webservers these days are running on virtual machines. Its probably not a good idea to run GIMPS's prime95 or mprime on a webserver on a virtual machine. Preferably run GIMPS on the native machine.

4. prime95/mprime should not effect the operation of other programs on the machine. It will run in the background at the lowest priority and so long as everything is working as designed you should hardly even notice it is there other than some extra heat generated and some extra power consumed.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 07:19   #3
lfm

Jul 2006
Calgary

1A916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandahugnkiss View Post

ok, please let me take another shot at this one and maybe actualy answer what you asked.

1. you should be able to install the linux version on your linux system. not on apache tho.

2. you would generally make a new directory in your home directory to install it. You wouldn't want to install it in a directory that is already in use for something else like apache.

3 nope. The linux interface is command line with character mode menus.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote