Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2021-10-15, 05:31   #23
JWNoctis

"J. W."
Aug 2021

2·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piforbreakfast View Post
I didn't see a setting to underclock the CPU, but I disabled the setting that allows overclocking. I'm just hoping that tinkering around with any of these settings won't void my warranty. I'd hate to have a $1500 paperweight.
Underclocking is usually pretty safe if done via Windows' own power settings, or if your BIOS allowed you to touch PL1 and PL2 settings for your Intel processor, in my experience. I'm not familiar with other methods these days.

And as of voiding your computer's warranty, it's lawyers and fine-prints territory though I'm not myself aware of anything by changing bios settings without warning beforehand, as those are supposed to be smarter now - it was certainly easier to outright destroy them together with the computer itself a couple decades ago by, say, grossly misconfiguring FSB frequency or something similar.

Either way, shaving wattage and heat this way is certainly safer than shaving your cat, which may well do enough injury to you to void your warranty.

Last fiddled with by JWNoctis on 2021-10-15 at 05:31
JWNoctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-15, 08:05   #24
piforbreakfast

Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

25×3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
Wait- you think *disabling* overclocking would void a warranty? Think about that.
I'm messing with the BIOS. The issue isn't that I'm disabling overclocking per se, the issue is that I'm changing the BIOS settings. But I also increased the fan speed to pretty much full blast, so maybe that will fix the overheating problem. I'll keep y'all posted.

Last fiddled with by piforbreakfast on 2021-10-15 at 08:19
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-15, 08:09   #25
piforbreakfast

Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

25·3 Posts

Also, maybe this shows I've totally been drinking the GIMPS Kool-Aid, but I ordered a third gaming computer to use for GIMPS and it just arrived yesterday. This third computer has liquid cooling like the first one.
Old 2021-10-15, 15:28   #26
chris2be8

Sep 2009

23·52·11 Posts

Or configure prime95 to use fewer cores. That should cut power use in proportion to the number of cores.
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-16, 12:12   #27
Dobri

"刀-比-日"
May 2018

2·7·17 Posts

Sometimes, missing (or non-uniformly applied) thermal paste between the CPU and the cooling unit is the reason for overheating the cores.
Also, the operation of liquid coolers might suffer from improper installation. Note that the radiator has to be slightly higher than the pump.
In the presence of air bubbles, one could tilt the computer several times (forwards and backwards) for the bubbles to move through the cooler. Then set the pump mode to "Extreme" and run it for at least an hour to get rid of said bubbles.
Dobri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-16, 20:37   #28
piforbreakfast

Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

25×3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2be8 View Post
Or configure prime95 to use fewer cores. That should cut power use in proportion to the number of cores.
I think the problem was probably the fan speed. I changed the fan speed to high so that will hopefully do the trick.
Old 2021-10-16, 20:57   #29
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

2·1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobri View Post
Sometimes, missing (or non-uniformly applied) thermal paste between the CPU and the cooling unit is the reason for overheating the cores.
Also, the operation of liquid coolers might suffer from improper installation. Note that the radiator has to be slightly higher than the pump.
In the presence of air bubbles, one could tilt the computer several times (forwards and backwards) for the bubbles to move through the cooler. Then set the pump mode to "Extreme" and run it for at least an hour to get rid of said bubbles.

I should try that with my computer. It used to reach an equilibrium of 58° C. Now it seems to have moved up to about 61° C.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-18, 19:48   #30
piforbreakfast

Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

25·3 Posts

Quote:
Also, maybe this shows I've totally been drinking the GIMPS Kool-Aid, but I ordered a third gaming computer to use for GIMPS and it just arrived yesterday. This third computer has liquid cooling like the first one.
And now I'm having problems with computer #3 just a few days after I started running GIMPS on it. I can't get past the startup screen (it's running Windows 10) and trying to run startup repair keeps failing. Does this sound like a hardware failure? This is the new liquid-cooled computer I just bought, not the one with the fan that I mentioned earlier.
Old 2021-10-18, 20:19   #31
moebius

"CharlesgubOB"
Jul 2009
Germany

2×313 Posts

Quote:
And now I'm having problems with computer #3 just a few days after I started running GIMPS on it. I can't get past the startup screen (it's running Windows 10) and trying to run startup repair keeps failing. Does this sound like a hardware failure? This is the new liquid-cooled computer I just bought, not the one with the fan that I mentioned earlier.
Windows 10 No Login Screen on Startup 2021 – Fix (3 Methods)
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-19, 00:34   #32
moebius

"CharlesgubOB"
Jul 2009
Germany

2·313 Posts

If the 3 methods not work for you, you could try to boot with a (UEFI) capable Linux Live USB-Stick (f.e. Knoppix, Ubuntu) and may try to repair the NTFS/FAT-filesystem with the system tools. This worked for me several times in the past.

Last fiddled with by moebius on 2021-10-19 at 00:46
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-19, 06:23   #33
piforbreakfast

Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

6016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
If the 3 methods not work for you, you could try to boot with a (UEFI) capable Linux Live USB-Stick (f.e. Knoppix, Ubuntu) and may try to repair the NTFS/FAT-filesystem with the system tools. This worked for me several times in the past.
Where do I get one of these sticks?