mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2022-05-23, 13:54   #23
Brownfox

Dec 2017

2·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldesnogu View Post
My view about economy is more to the centre, close to Hidalgo.
I suspect this quiz is based on the US centre so most Europeans would appear left of centre.
Brownfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-23, 14:33   #24
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

11001101000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownfox View Post
I suspect this quiz is based on the US centre so most Europeans would appear left of centre.
Take a good look midpage at https://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2020, where they have nearly all the 2020 US presidential candidates jammed into the blue (conservative authoritarian) quadrant, and mostly the right half of the blue at that, and absurdly, Sanders as a "centrist" very close to Gabbard.
Just 6 of 33 below the graph origin; 4 of 33 left of origin. Cg of the field looks to be about (+4,+3).

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-05-23 at 14:38
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-23, 14:49   #25
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

101001010111012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
of the field looks to be about (+4,+3).
Where are you when you take the test for yourself?
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-23, 14:57   #26
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·3,319 Posts

I find it interesting that Republicans in the US are all about "personal rights" which implies they should be libertarian, but the political compass shows that most of them would prefer an authoritarian for the simple reason that they think that they will be exempt from the authoritarian practices of the person they are voting for.

It does not surprise me that Biden is that far to the right. Democrats are heavily intertwined with Wall Street.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-23, 15:20   #27
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

1,823 Posts

Quote:
Take a good look midpage at https://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2020, where they have nearly all the 2020 US presidential candidates jammed into the blue (conservative authoritarian) quadrant, and mostly the right half of the blue at that, and absurdly, Sanders as a "centrist" very close to Gabbard.
Just 6 of 33 below the graph origin; 4 of 33 left of origin. Cg of the field looks to be about (+4,+3).
Indeed : as explained in the text below the graph in the link you cite, the USA is a wee bit of centre as viewed from a global perspective.
I suppose that since the USA represents less than 5 % of world population but about 25% of the world's GDP (whatever that measures), it should be seen as the mainstream opinion and Sanders is indeed a person with dangerous extremist ideas.
When one uses the New Testament to answer, the result in the anti-authoritarian left quadrant, leads to the conclusion is that it is a dangerous liberal leftist book that should be banned, the first amendment of the USA constitution part about free speech notwithstanding. Of course if one carefully chooses excerpts from the Old Testament one can condone many things.

Last fiddled with by S485122 on 2022-05-23 at 15:56 Reason: Added line about NT and OT of the Bible
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-23, 16:35   #28
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

146418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Where are you when you take the test for yourself?
Answering the questions straight up sincerely, I appear to be possibly the lone centrist in the thread so far (since rudy235's response is not very quantitative), falling at +1.75,-1.38, which is within a radius of 2.25 of the graph origin. Given the mid-green-quadrant average of the rest of the responses, it could explain why some of my posts on the forum provoke such strong reactions, as if I was perceived as +8,+8 or so, from the viewpoints of those clustered around roughly -5,-5.
Attempting the retina experiment in one quadrant, I couldn't bear some of the answers it would take, so deliberately throwing it upward rightward, managed a fake result of only +7.63,+6.77. It was also straightforward to fake ~ -9,-7. I assume, without confirmation or basis, that the full graph range +-10 on either axis should be possible.
Another experiment that could be tried is to retake it sincerely on successive days and note magnitude of variation.

And you, Uncwilly, where do you land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I find it interesting that Republicans in the US are all about "personal rights" which implies they should be libertarian, but the political compass shows that most of them would prefer an authoritarian for the simple reason that they think that they will be exempt from the authoritarian practices of the person they are voting for.
My impression is US conservatives tend to favor enforcing existing laws that allow for safe practice of free speech, free commerce, and other freedoms. It's hard to live free or be productive when violent left rioters loot and burn, hospitalizing even their own political allies or sending them to the morgue, and the police are ordered to merely observe from a safe distance, or violent criminals are released from well earned prison sentences early by the thousands, and subsequently documented to reoffend, violently, which is no surprise.
I do not see a contradiction in conservative libertarianism; apprehend and prosecute the criminal, especially the criminally violent, and otherwise get out of the way of people living their best lives, letting the creative energy of the population including the businesses they own make things better for all, without being strangled by destructive overregulation and oppressive ruinous confiscatory levels of taxation. But maybe that's the optimistic engineering mindset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	real.png
Views:	10
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	26918  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf forum political grid.pdf (17.0 KB, 9 views)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-05-23 at 17:01
Old 2022-05-23, 17:34   #29
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

147568 Posts

Quote:
I do not see a contradiction in conservative libertarianism; apprehend and prosecute the criminal, especially the criminally violent, and otherwise get out of the way of people living their best lives, letting the creative energy of the population including the businesses they own make things better for all, without being strangled by destructive overregulation and oppressive ruinous confiscatory levels of taxation. But maybe that's the optimistic engineering mindset.
Although I agree the over-regulation can be destructive, but the "degree" by which it is destructive can be questioned. We know that businesses cannot regulate themselves and that only so much pressure can be put onto businesses (by consumers) to change their practices. Regulations have a function, whether it is to protect the employees, the local community, the environment, or the consumer. As for "oppressive ruinous confiscatory levels of taxation", do you have concrete examples of that in the US? I can argue that I don't see many businesses or wealthy people hurt by high taxes. I see an increasing gap between the wealthy and the poor. I see businesses making record profits while passing costs on to the consumers to protect a ridiculous profit margin.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-23, 18:39   #30
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

11,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
We know that businesses cannot regulate themselves and that only so much pressure can be put onto businesses (by consumers) to change their practices.
Although you are very probably correct in general, there are well known historical counter-examples. For instance: Rowntree and Lever in the UK. Quite a few such companies were founded by Quakers.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2022-05-23 at 18:39
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-23, 18:57   #31
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

100010100112 Posts

Quote:
(since rudy235's response is not very quantitative), .

I am -3.28, -2.72. Is that quantitative enough? https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...83&postcount=3

By the way of the 62 questions I did only answer about 3 as strongly agree or strongly disagree. Sometimes I wish there should be a fifth option like (donโ€™t know/dont care or even โ€œit is a BS questionโ€ quoting the inimitable Marisa Tomeiโ€™s character in โ€œMy cousin Vinnyโ€.

Case in point โ€œSome people are naturally unluckyโ€; โ€œMaking peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity.โ€; โ€œFirst-generation immigrants can never be fully integrated within their new countryโ€; and the best one...โ€People are ultimately divided more by class than by nationality.โ€, also the most clueless question is: โ€œControlling inflation is more important than controlling unemploymentโ€. Sounds like asserting โ€œthe right leg is more relevant to walking than the left legโ€

Last fiddled with by rudy235 on 2022-05-23 at 19:31
rudy235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-23, 19:45   #32
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy235 View Post
I am -3.28, -2.72. Is that quantitative enough? https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...83&postcount=3

โ€œControlling inflation is more important than controlling unemploymentโ€. Sounds like asserting โ€œthe right leg is more relevant to walking than the left legโ€
Sorry, I missed that I had you entered twice. Not quantitative enough was about your post #11.

Inflation vs employment priority can be influenced strongly by age. A young adult supporting himself or a family needs an income and may not yet have much assets or investments. A retiree's income and assets can be wiped out over time by inflation, and not personally have a dog in the fight re employment levels.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-05-23 at 19:45
Old 2022-05-23, 20:14   #33
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2C6916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
-4.5, -5.03

I'm waiting for some conservatives here to take the test. :-)
I am frequently described as conservative by British standards. Look like I am a raving commie by US standards.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote