mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous Math

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-05-13, 18:42   #1
Trejack
 

22×5×127 Posts
Post Wet dreams that the Next Mersenne Prime Is Found

I had received an email discussion the other day from a few friends of mine, claiming that M122628553 and M407363239 are primes based on where the next mersenne prime is. (Although that is not for sure). Both have no known factors up to 2^68. the smaller primes is claimed to be more likelier to be prime. I was hoping this be a thread for other predictions like this.

Last fiddled with by Trejack on 2016-05-13 at 18:46
  Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-13, 19:04   #2
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

11×19×47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trejack View Post
...from a few friends of mine, claiming ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Road to Wellville (1994)
With friends like these, who needs enemas!
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-13, 19:26   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

291C16 Posts
Default

Inb4 MM
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-13, 20:12   #4
Trejack
 

24×3×17 Posts
Post

Here are a few more suggestions for the next Mersenne Primes:

Mersenne 85,885,091
Mersenne 122,628,553
Mersenne 126,745,771
Mersenne 187,046,537
Mersenne 191,458,283
Mersenne 276,036,017
Mersenne 407,363,239
Mersenne 601,171,009
Mersenne 887,184,833

(All are based on the previous link I sent)
  Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-13, 21:31   #5
VBCurtis
 
VBCurtis's Avatar
 
"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

5,279 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trejack View Post
Here are a few more suggestions for the next Mersenne Primes:

Mersenne 85,885,091
Mersenne 122,628,553
Mersenne 126,745,771
Mersenne 187,046,537
Mersenne 191,458,283
Mersenne 276,036,017
Mersenne 407,363,239
Mersenne 601,171,009
Mersenne 887,184,833

(All are based on the previous link I sent)
I'll give you 10 to 1 odds against any of these being prime. You may choose the wager size, though I am not interested in non-trivial fractions of my net worth as a wager.

Or, perhaps you'd like to set odds yourself that any of these "predictions" are actually prime? If you think my 10-1 odds are a poor bet, why are you calling attention to these numbers at all?
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-13, 21:39   #6
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

35×43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
I'll give you 10 to 1 odds against any of these being prime.
They're all prime.

The question is if they are Mersenne Primes....
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-13, 22:16   #7
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trejack View Post
I had received an email discussion the other day from a few friends of mine, claiming that M122628553 and M407363239 are primes based on where the next mersenne prime is. (Although that is not for sure). Both have no known factors up to 2^68. the smaller primes is claimed to be more likelier to be prime. I was hoping this be a thread for other predictions like this.
There is a prediction thread already. Also another thing to note smaller number would have to have factors before a smaller number to have factors but not necessarily that small.

for the first exponent there are at very most 2^41 k values to test ( assuming you don't eliminate any due to being composite producing before more testing) and has to be proven to a lower bit level to be prime. the second has 2^39 k values at most to prove up to 68 bits but has a higher bit level to be proven prime by TF ( good luck with that though).
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-13, 23:51   #8
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

24·32·23 Posts
Default

M601171009 has a factor: 1121198039728381104943
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-14, 00:08   #9
a1call
 
a1call's Avatar
 
"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

2×19×59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
They're all prime.

The question is if they are Mersenne Primes....
How can a Mersenne number with a prime exponent (or any exponent for that matter) be a prime but not a Mersenne prime?

ETA
Quote:
In mathematics, a Mersenne prime is a prime number that is one less than a power of two.

...
More generally, numbers of the form Mn = 2n − 1 without the primality requirement are called Mersenne numbers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_prime

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2016-05-14 at 00:15
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-14, 00:37   #10
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

203008 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
How can a Mersenne number with a prime exponent (or any exponent for that matter) be a prime but not a Mersenne prime?

ETA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_prime
chalsall meant the exponents aren't known if they create a mersenne prime. or at least that's the logical meaning in this case.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-14, 00:43   #11
a1call
 
a1call's Avatar
 
"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

2×19×59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
chalsall meant the exponents aren't known if they create a mersenne prime. or at least that's the logical meaning in this case.
That does not compute in the context of the quote he was replying to:


Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
I'll give you 10 to 1 odds against any of these being prime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
They're all prime.

The question is if they are Mersenne Primes....
ETA
I think there is a more obvious explanation.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2016-05-14 at 00:47
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to know if you found a mersenne prime shaytan1986 Information & Answers 1 2015-07-26 03:38
Mersenne Prime Found? No. houding PrimeNet 4 2014-09-21 15:32
How to know if you found a mersenne prime. Sutton Shin PrimeNet 7 2012-10-02 05:57
new mersenne prime found unregistered Data 25 2005-01-07 19:26
41st Mersenne Prime found? Unregistered Data 4 2004-05-21 10:08

All times are UTC. The time now is 18:52.


Sat May 21 18:52:12 UTC 2022 up 37 days, 16:53, 0 users, load averages: 2.40, 2.03, 1.82

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔