Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Old 2014-02-06, 19:18   #67
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

2·17·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrix View Post
Until 6 months ago, PSP members were using PRP pick a range. ltd and I have tried to finish of these ranges when they sit for too long. We could have a PSP drive to complete everything to 15M if enough people are interested. (if some one is interested we can set up a separate PRPnet server to finish these numbers)

As the test grow longer we are generating fewer and fewer ranges... so the chances of missing a prime are low.
Well it all sounds good, however, why not just load the candidates into the already running firstpass server and ask people to join the effort and help clean the server before Primegrids PSP challenge?

I know that chances are low of a prime among those 494 tests, however the tests has grown quite big and are now taking most people 100+ hours per test, so the science isn't all that difficult, to see that it gives a lot of unnescessary testing of numbers that really isn't of any conjectural interest, if in fact a prime hides in this range.

Though I'm not sure, I feel confident that quite a few users at the CRUS project, would like to help you complete the testings if you load the 494 tests into the firstpass server and ask them kindly to help your project clear these candidates

Personally, though I doesn't have many resources, I wouldn't rule out helping you do the job
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 21:51   #68
Citrix

Jun 2003

110010010012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Well it all sounds good, however, why not just load the candidates into the already running firstpass server and ask people to join the effort and help clean the server before Primegrids PSP challenge?

I know that chances are low of a prime among those 494 tests, however the tests has grown quite big and are now taking most people 100+ hours per test, so the science isn't all that difficult, to see that it gives a lot of unnescessary testing of numbers that really isn't of any conjectural interest, if in fact a prime hides in this range.

Though I'm not sure, I feel confident that quite a few users at the CRUS project, would like to help you complete the testings if you load the 494 tests into the firstpass server and ask them kindly to help your project clear these candidates

Personally, though I doesn't have many resources, I wouldn't rule out helping you do the job

Loading them to the first pass server requires alot of work (even though it seems simple enough) on the back end with the database. We keep track of how every range is completed and who did it etc. ltd is the only one with acess and he has been little bit busy recently...

It might be easier to set up a seperate server and anyone interested can join in. I could personally crunch a few numbers to help clean the list, if we were setting up a server or manually reserve 1-2 files.

Again I do not know how to set up the server.. so some one else will have to take the lead on this.
Citrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 18:31   #69
gd_barnes

"Gary"
May 2007
Overland Park, KS

22·31·97 Posts

Quote:
Loading them to the first pass server requires alot of work (even though it seems simple enough) on the back end with the database. We keep track of how every range is completed and who did it etc. ltd is the only one with acess and he has been little bit busy recently...
Loading into a server takes a lot of work??? It takes 5-10 minutes if the server is already set up. If you give the approval and send me the candidates, I can load them into one of the public NPLB or CRUS servers and people could start crunching away on them. It's not difficult. But after that range is done, I suggest not doing any more manually reserved ranges. I think it's better if PrimeGrid fully takes it over. It's dead here.
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 19:23   #70
Citrix

Jun 2003

1,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Loading into a server takes a lot of work??? It takes 5-10 minutes if the server is already set up.
May be, but I do not have access to the server.. we will have to wait for ltd to tell us how much time it will really take.

Quote:
But after that range is done, I suggest not doing any more manually reserved ranges. I think it's better if PrimeGrid fully takes it over. It's dead here.
I think we will always have manual assignments but probably instead of generating files we might only generate them on demand (if some one needs them), similar to how it is on mersenne.org. I will have to discuss this further with ltd to see if it is possible, but I agree I do not like ranges sitting on the forum.

Quote:
If you give the approval and send me the candidates, I can load them into one of the public NPLB or CRUS servers and people could start crunching away on them.
Thank you for the offer. If you think, you and other willing people, could finish all 400+ numbers in a reasonable time then you can go ahead. If you think this will take you alot of time, I would suggest starting with loading 1-2 files at a time. An almost dead server would defeat the purpose of the cleanup.

If you are willing to wait, I would like to wait for ltd to answer the questions in this thread. If it is not too much work, like you suggested, it would be best to load everything into the first pass server.
Old 2014-02-08, 19:26   #71
Citrix

Jun 2003

1,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Primegrids PSP challenge
I did not read your post carefully enough. Yes it would be best to do the cleanup before that. I will email ltd to see if he could load everything on the first pass server in the next couple of days, otherwise we will go ahead with the CRUS/NPLB server.

Last fiddled with by Citrix on 2014-02-08 at 19:34
Old 2014-02-08, 21:38   #72
gd_barnes

"Gary"
May 2007
Overland Park, KS

22·31·97 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for the offer. If you think, you and other willing people, could finish all 400+ numbers in a reasonable time then you can go ahead. If you think this will take you alot of time, I would suggest starting with loading 1-2 files at a time. An almost dead server would defeat the purpose of the cleanup.

If you are willing to wait, I would like to wait for ltd to answer the questions in this thread. If it is not too much work, like you suggested, it would be best to load everything into the first pass server.

Yeah, definitely best to get the word from ltd. Just let me know. It's an open-ended offer. On a CRUS server, I could promote it at the project. This project is effectively a subset of the Sierp base 2 2nd conjecture so I could probably get a couple of people to help out.

I only come around here from time-to-time so if I don't respond in a timely manner to a post intended for me, PM me.
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 12:41   #73
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

2·17·29 Posts

Quote:
I did not read your post carefully enough. Yes it would be best to do the cleanup before that. I will email ltd to see if he could load everything on the first pass server in the next couple of days, otherwise we will go ahead with the CRUS/NPLB server.
No problem at all, but no matter what, I really think that it shouldn't be a problem to complete the 494 tests before the Primegrid challenge, even if only Max, Gary, Mydogbuster, Lennart and I joins the clean-up

Propably more people can/will offer some resources, if Gary promotes the clean-up run. I will before the challenge be able to do ~20 tests (and I only have 4 cores that can go online), so 20 I5-2300 computers will be sufficient enough to get the job done

Well I hope you sort something out
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-07, 22:29   #74
Citrix

Jun 2003

1,609 Posts

New Milestone: All tests under 16M are complete. Primegrid and PSP (PRPnet) are closing the gap on 17M currently.
Old 2014-07-08, 13:44   #75
Aillas

Oct 2002
France

24×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillas View Post
It seems Seventeen Or Bust (SOB) beats GIMPS

Last prime 11!33661*2^7031232+1 on 17 October 2007

The total number of days between Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 and Friday, March 22nd, 2013 is 1,983 days.

This is equal to exactly 5 years, 5 months, and 5 days. Funny.
SOB: Number of days since last prime: 2456 or 6 years, 8 months, 21 days

PSP: Number of days since last prime: 1480 or 4 years, 19 days

Quote:
Maybe 2013 will the year of PSP & SOB
I won't do any new prediction ...
Aillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-27, 23:06   #76
Aillas

Oct 2002
France

24·11 Posts

Quote: