mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > Cloud Computing

Old 2021-09-27, 22:23   #1178
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

5,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Not any longer.
I just added another, using my sole phone # to receive the 6-digit confirmation code. (Maybe there are regional differences?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gmail4.png
Views:	43
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	25781  

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-09-27 at 22:24
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-27, 22:45   #1179
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

132×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
I just added another, using my sole phone # to receive the 6-digit confirmation code. (Maybe there are regional differences?)
Thanks for running the test. Be aware there will be "signals" based on your usage. I dare you to bring eight (8#) GMail accounts running Colab using the same NPA (I didn't dare try this, but little Bimshire is a "developing country").

No one knows what is actually acceptable. Google's T&C is a "black box". It is worth running experiments, just to see (empirically) what can be done...

Empirically, no one actually knows for sure. In multiple jurisdictions.

That might be unsettling for regulators (assuming, of course, the regulators are actually on the side of the consumers; not always the case).
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-28, 04:15   #1180
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

22·3·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Thanks for running the test. Be aware there will be "signals" based on your usage. I dare you to bring eight (8#) GMail accounts running Colab using the same NPA (I didn't dare try this, but little Bimshire is a "developing country").

No one knows what is actually acceptable. Google's T&C is a "black box". It is worth running experiments, just to see (empirically) what can be done...

Empirically, no one actually knows for sure. In multiple jurisdictions.

That might be unsettling for regulators (assuming, of course, the regulators are actually on the side of the consumers; not always the case).
8 of my free google accounts running colab instances all use the same phone number, and same backup email address (which of course is a gmail address). They run from separate tabs on the same browser on the same computer at the same time. I have different names on the accounts, but there's absolutely no verification of that. Of course I'm in the US of A, but there's been no issue. I seem to be able to create as many google accounts as I want, each with their own separate google drive allocation. At some point if I added dozens of accounts maybe Google would notice. When Google randomly decides that one of my accounts can't get a GPU for a week or two, it doesn't affect any of my other accounts.
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-21, 09:42   #1181
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

34·112 Posts

During my colab "frenzy" (described somewhere here, in Wayne's thread) I tried to use my phone numbers (yep, I have more phone numbers; I have two sim cards in my phone, and I work with ublox/sara modules at job, writing firmware for devices in which these toys are included, so the company provided two additional sim cards that I use for testing our firmware) for free colab accounts. I mean, the numbers were given for paid (Pro) account, but I tried to create free accounts in parallel for each number, maybe they could get some cores sometime and add on top of what paid accounts were crunching. The free accounts which had the same phone number as the Pro accounts NEVER got any resource. Nor GPU, neither CPU. I gave up after a while.

Edit: also, this part about getting two sessions running for the same account, and getting more GPU time with the trick, never worked for me. I could open how many sessions I wanted, but the performance will degrade, i.e. if one session made a hundred iterations per time unit, then two sessions will make each 45 or 48 iterations for the same time unit (numbers only for example of proportion, not real values).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2021-10-21 at 09:47
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote