mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2010-05-05, 21:49   #1
Oddball

May 2010

499 Posts
Default Battle of the sexes: who wins?

So me and some friends were eating out last night, and this conversation* comes up:

"You know that humanities class we had to take this semester?" says one guy
"Yeah, what about it?" says another

"Well, that part about feminists in the 70s and how a few of them tried to act and be like men..."
"Go on"

"Well I think that's kind of stupid, because there's no way the sexes are equal. Women should have the right to vote and earn the same wages as men for white-collar jobs, but the physical differences between men and women are really big"
"How big?"

"Uh, like, super big! A lot of high school basketball teams could beat the best WNBA team"
"ORLY?"

"YA RLY"
"NO WA..."

"Tell you what - we may not be able to get a boys vs. women basketball matchup, but there's another way to test this. Train a random, young guy who's not part of the track team, if he breaks the women's mile record before the London Olympics, my theory is right. Deal?" (throws some bills on the table)
"Is that a sucker's bet or what?" (throws more bills on the table, along with a gift card and some change) "I'll give you even better odds - your guy doesn't have to break the women's mile record, he'll just have to break the record for high school girls. And even then, I'm confident that you'll lose." (everyone else at our table is eagerly paying attention now)

"Looks like I'll just need a volunteer. Anyone want to try this?" (everyone looks around at each other for a few seconds)
"I guess I'll give it a shot", I say. "I don't have much to do this summer anyway"

"Sounds good. Oddball**, if your side wins the bet, you can have my desktop. I'm planning to buy a new one soon, and I figure you'd be more interested in it than the local charity would."

*The conversation went something like this; I don't remember every word that was said.
**Not my real name, but I'll use it since I want to remain anonymous for now.

Thoughts? Do I have a reasonable chance of winning this? A quick google search reveals that the time I have to beat is 4:35, set by Polly Plumer in 1982. The last time I've been on the track was several months ago, when I was curious in knowing whether I could pass a fitness test that was given to some cops. My time for a half mile was 2:58.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 22:12   #2
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

100001000000112 Posts

See table one:

http://www.moorestownxc.org/Training/JackDaniels.html

Find a distance you have run, and your time, and the table tells you your approximate ability at other distances, if trained properly.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 23:10   #3
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×11×13×41 Posts

We may not be able to get a HS-vs-WNBA matchup, but we can easily do a paper matchup of the boys' HS mile record [3:53, by Alan Webb] against the women's world record [4:12, by Svetlana Masterkova.]

But subjectively, I'd fancy the top WNBA team against any boys' HS team - women would have huge advantages in experience, tactics and coordinated team play, would be at least as good in shooting, and the size advantage wouldn't be as great as vs the NBA.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 00:19   #4
Oddball

May 2010

499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
See table one:

http://www.moorestownxc.org/Training/JackDaniels.html

Find a distance you have run, and your time, and the table tells you your approximate ability at other distances, if trained properly.
That table doesn't have any info for the half mile, which is the only distance I've run in the past year.

Quote:
We may not be able to get a HS-vs-WNBA matchup, but we can easily do a paper matchup of the boys' HS mile record [3:53, by Alan Webb] against the women's world record [4:12, by Svetlana Masterkova.]
I think the claim was that an average guy, if trained, would be able to beat the top female athletes in almost any sport. Comparing the top high school boy and the top woman wouldn't be that relevant in this case.
Old 2010-05-06, 00:26   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·11·13·41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
I think the claim was that an average guy, if trained, would be able to beat the top female athletes in almost any sport. Comparing the top high school boy and the top woman wouldn't be that relevant in this case.
So, you think you can run a 4:12 mile after sufficient training?
Old 2010-05-06, 00:38   #6
Oddball

May 2010

1F316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
So, you think you can run a 4:12 mile after sufficient training?
Maybe not. But a 4:35 mile (girls high school record) seems possible.

But I admit, I've never played a sport competitively, so I have no idea how much someone can improve through sufficient training.

I'm still pretty sure that the claim was an average guy beating the best women, not the top high school boys beating the best women. How else would you explain:

Quote:
"A lot of high school basketball teams could beat the best WNBA team"

Last fiddled with by Oddball on 2010-05-06 at 00:39
Old 2010-05-06, 06:25   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

244248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
But subjectively, I'd fancy the top WNBA team against any boys' HS team - women would have huge advantages in experience, tactics and coordinated team play, would be at least as good in shooting, and the size advantage wouldn't be as great as vs the NBA.
More high school boys have dunked a basketball than WNBA women. I'll go with the boys.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 10:53   #8
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2×3×5×109 Posts

Finding out how much you can improve at a timed distance through training is an excellent idea, Oddball. You are seriously likely to improve your quality of life if you go for this, at least in terms of discovering a rewarding new hobby and very likely also in terms of improving your health and general feeling of well-being.

Two tips though:

- Do not set yourself unreasonable targets. It will lead to frustration and demotivation. Compete against your own previous bests and set your standards.

- If you still haven't done so, put your running shoes on and get out there to that track now.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 18:17   #9
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

267168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
Maybe not. But a 4:35 mile (girls high school record) seems possible.
Agree - I was never a competitive runner (just a serious fitness buff) in college but used to run a sub-5:00 mile without terrible difficulty. 4:30 and below, you're getting into elite-high-school-athlete range. A college buddy of mine was one of the top HS milers in the country and said his PB for the mile was 4:08.

Definitely worthwhile to make the attempt while ya still youngish legs and lungs, in any event. Let us know how the training goes.
Old 2010-05-06, 20:50   #10
Oddball

May 2010

499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
- If you still haven't done so, put your running shoes on and get out there to that track now.
Quote:
Let us know how the training goes.
Quote:
a 4:35 mile (girls high school record) seems possible.
I just went out to the track to see whether I could even run a lap at that pace. The answer was no! A full effort left me tired and out of breath, and my time was only 1:12. That's only a 4:48/mile pace

Some things to try over the next few days and weeks:

- Endurance run, to see how far I can run without walking or dropping below 9:10/mile pace (twice as slow as the girls high school record)
- A few sprints. Can I even sprint a hundred meters at the women's mile record pace?
- A one mile time trial

Sometime near the end of the month, I'll post my training log to keep you guys updated.
Old 2010-05-07, 04:25   #11
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

33·313 Posts

http://www.humankinetics.com/product...la-2nd-edition
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote