mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-05-11, 16:00   #1
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

1011011100102 Posts
Default There are Bad and Good news for Seventeen-Or-Bust... Which do you want to hear first?

So the server has been down for a while now, and it looks like all is lost:

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...83-Server-down
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-11, 16:19   #2
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

1001010110002 Posts
Default

That's bad. And you'd think data centers would be smart to back up their servers, especially in 2016.

I wonder if any other websites on the server were affected. If so, the hosting company could be looking at a rather big lawsuit.

Edit: Here's another thread on the same subject: http://primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=6780

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2016-05-11 at 16:40
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-11, 17:53   #3
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

11101011010012 Posts
Default

I cannot post at primegrid foruum. The wayback machine may have some of the lost data.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-11, 18:05   #4
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

1100010101012 Posts
Default

Uhh that is scary!

Maybe we should do a backup of primenet every 6 months and post a torrent file here for those of us who wants to keep a copy?

or at least upload it to some cloud storage or just another physical site away from the primenet server.

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2016-05-11 at 18:07
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-11, 18:16   #5
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

261116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
That's bad. And you'd think data centers would be smart to back up their servers, especially in 2016.
From what I read they did do backups, but kept the backups at the same site which was taken out by a fire.

What part of "off-site backups" is a Good Thing(TM) isn't clear? Heck, "cloud" storage is amazingly cheap now-a-days.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-11, 18:27   #6
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

23·13·23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
From what I read they did do backups, but kept the backups at the same site which was taken out by a fire.
Where did you get that information?

WHOIS information suggests the server (9.9.160.186) was hosted in Durham, NC. However, I could find no references about a fire there.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-11, 18:32   #7
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

5·1,949 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Where did you get that information?

WHOIS information suggests the server (9.9.160.186) was hosted in Durham, NC. However, I could find no references about a fire there.
Inference from "We just heard from Louie and the news is not good. It looks like the old server, and everything on it, is toast. From what I understand the software that runs the server was lost too. There were backups, but unfortunately the entire datacenter was lost, taking the backups with it.", post number 10 from the thread Mark linked to.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-11, 18:32   #8
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

22·2,371 Posts
Default

When I first received an email spam message from SoB and it turned out that it was not hacked (it was from the owner, who apparently thought that it was a good idea?!), I knew that something was terribly off there.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-11, 19:38   #9
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

B7216 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I cannot post at primegrid foruum. The wayback machine may have some of the lost data.
It has does have the lower bounds for the ranges checked: https://web.archive.org/web/20160304...eStatsEx.mhtml
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-12, 00:02   #10
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

23·13·23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Inference from "We just heard from Louie and the news is not good. It looks like the old server, and everything on it, is toast. From what I understand the software that runs the server was lost too. There were backups, but unfortunately the entire datacenter was lost, taking the backups with it.", post number 10 from the thread Mark linked to.
The fact that the entire data center was lost does suggest a fire occurred. There aren't many other things that can wipe out an entire data center except maybe a hacker or logic bomb. However, the loss of many websites would no doubt be a big deal, and I don't see any news reports of such. I guess we'll know more in a few days.

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2016-05-12 at 00:03
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-12, 01:11   #11
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

18CF16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
The fact that the entire data center was lost does suggest a fire occurred. There aren't many other things that can wipe out an entire data center except maybe a hacker or logic bomb. However, the loss of many websites would no doubt be a big deal, and I don't see any news reports of such. I guess we'll know more in a few days.
But data centers have fire protection, so that seems odd, unless the fire started outside of the data center and the fire suppression system stopped working.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seventeen or Bust drive philmoore Lounge 6 2014-05-26 23:10
Good News Flatlander Lounge 5 2011-04-28 20:47
Seventeen or Bust finds a missed prime! VJS Lounge 3 2005-10-20 05:55
Seventeen or Bust found a prime! Mystwalker Math 5 2005-01-04 17:00
Seventeen or Bust finds Sixth Prime! wblipp Lounge 4 2003-12-16 21:08

All times are UTC. The time now is 07:06.


Sat Jul 24 07:06:50 UTC 2021 up 1 day, 1:35, 1 user, load averages: 1.20, 1.55, 1.61

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.