mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing > GpuOwl

Old 2021-02-12, 21:55   #23
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

19×613 Posts

I run 2 instances per card on each of my Radeon VIIs for 2 reasons:

1. Gives an total throughput boost in the 7-10% range;

2. If one job hangs or crashes - infrequent, but it does happen - one minimizes the total throughput hit.

Even if one has a GPU model where 2-instances is slightly slower in total-throughput terms - say no more that 5% - [2] makes it worth doing, IMO.

On the R7 I found negative benefit from > 2 instances.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-13, 07:35   #24
ZFR

Feb 2008
Bray, Ireland

5·31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
OK, gotcha. Guess I'll test it out and if the throughput is same or slightly lower, I'll go with 2.

Last fiddled with by ZFR on 2021-02-13 at 07:36 Reason: Spelling mistake
ZFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-19, 15:02   #25
ZFR

Feb 2008
Bray, Ireland

5·31 Posts

Quote:
Even if one has a GPU model where 2-instances is slightly slower in total-throughput terms - say no more that 5% - [2] makes it worth doing, IMO.
On GeForce GTX 970 getting worse results. 12.3 ms/iter when running one instance. When running 2 I get 28.6 average. That's about 16% worse throughput.

Last fiddled with by ZFR on 2021-02-19 at 15:10
Old 2021-02-20, 09:16   #26
ZFR

Feb 2008
Bray, Ireland

5×31 Posts

Actually, never mind. That was when I tested by putting the assigned exponent into worktodo, which does a P-1 on it simultaneously?

When I simply test with the -prp <exp> arguments, the throughput on running two instances is only 2% worse. I'll just use 2 instances for the in-case-it-hangs-or-crashes reason.
Old 2021-05-25, 20:53   #27
jas

"Simon Josefsson"
Jan 2020
Stockholm

2710 Posts
Default Success report

Hi! I did a clean install of Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS on a Gigabyte Aorus X570 I Pro Wifi with a AMD Ryzen 5950x CPU and a Radeon VII card. The instructions worked fine, except for diff below, and it is now churning its first PRP's (both gpuowl and mprime).

Quote:
o sudo apt install -y gcc gdb python libgmp-dev git ssh openssh-server clinfo libncurses5 libnuma-dev
Please add 'make' here -- as it is not installed by default or anything else.

Quote:
o Add yourself to the video group. There are 2 options for doing this:
1. The AMD rocm installation guide suggests using the command 'sudo usermod -a -G video $LOGNAME'
Option 1 worked fine, after logout/login (or reboot).

However, after following all those instructions above, and building gpuowl fine, 'clinfo' would not find the GPU. I read some instructions here:

https://rocmdocs.amd.com/en/latest/I...de.html#ubuntu

And indeed after doing the following, everything worked:

Quote:
sudo apt install rocm-dkms
reboot

I'm using -maxAlloc 16GB since I'm only using one runner, is this pushing anything or is this fine?

Thanks,
Simon

Last fiddled with by jas on 2021-05-25 at 20:54
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-25, 21:46   #28
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2D7F16 Posts

@Simon - done, thanks - I put the clinfo-issue fix in the Troubleshooting section of the OP.

16GB should be OK with just 1 instance running, but suggest watching progress through at least one p-1 stage 2 ('P2' in the progress-line just right of the exponent): If that takes more than a few hours, maybe ratchet things back to 14-15GB. (I always run 2 instances per R7, but perhaps other 1-instance runners can comment on whether maxAlloc of 16GB works for their p-1 stage 2s).

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2021-05-25 at 21:47
Old 2021-05-26, 09:25   #29
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

11001110112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Please add 'make' here -- as it is not installed by default or anything else.
Might be best to replace gcc with build-essential instead, it's a meta package that installs gcc/g++/make and probably a few other parts commonly used in a standard libc toolchain.

BTW make not installed by default is criminal, should be punishable by a week of having to exclusively use Hannah Montana Linux :P
M344587487 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-26, 21:11   #30
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

19·613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
Might be best to replace gcc with build-essential instead, it's a meta package that installs gcc/g++/make and probably a few other parts commonly used in a standard libc toolchain.
Good suggestion - done.
Old 2021-05-27, 03:57   #31
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100101101111112 Posts

[offtopic]

Or, not really off topic, more like a praise to your tutorial, but from a different angle...

I have a couple of Radeon VII cards that I wanted to use for mining, but they got a ridiculously low hash rate under win7, i.e. half of what I read on the dedicated forums they should achieve. Struggled with windoze drivers for a while, went as much back as installing drivers from 2015, and wasted a week for it (in the evenings, after working time, come home, eat, take a shower, 4-5 hours in front of the computer every evening!, even one or two sleepless nights), but to no result. With this or that (old) driver I got more or less hash rate, but no cigar. As I didn't like the "dedicated for mining" operating systems (like HiveOS or so, you never know where your profit goes...) I decided to run Ubuntu from a stick.

I disconnected all my disks (afraid of bugs in the mining software, I won't install that on a computer where I do the banking and internet shopping stuff), ran the 'buntu, from a stick, got some courage after dealing with colab and puting my nose into other people's scripts (Teal, Dan, Chris, DanaJ, etc, thank you all!), then I put Ubuntu on a 64G external SSD (thing costs $8 on Lazada and it is bloody fast!), then wasted few more days (!) - no joke - dealing with installing AMD drivers and trying to convince OpenCL to run on my mini-buntu.

That is a f'king laborious stuff, did you see the tutorials on the web? (rhetoric question, no need answer). Grrr... I learned more Linux with this task than I learned in the last 35 years. I mean, we had a 2 or 3 semesters Linux course in the last years of the uni, but that was in the very incipient phase of it, we (collective we) were thinking more how to convince the female colleagues to go on dates with us than to write bash files, that was 35 years ago, and I never used it seriously ever since, except for small stuff now and then. In conclusion, I suck at Linux.

However.

I was almost ready to give up with making OpenCL run on it, I followed different tutorials, etc., I even got to the stage that I was running the clinfo from a directory and all cards were properly identified, but when I was running the same clinfo from another folder there was no graphic card installed. Which pissed me off terrible.

But then I said, ok, if I am in this stage already, let's see if I can make gpuOwl running, to see at least if the Linux version is faster than the Windows version. Hint: it is not. They are the same. More or less. But to get to that stage, I had to follow the tutorial from this thread. Which is mostly similar with other tutorials I already followed, from other forums or youtube. After some more adventures owned to my stupidity, it got me running OpenCL and gpuOwl eventually.

After seeing that the Linux version is not faster at doing PRP and P-1, i said, ok, back to windows, and I was ready to plug the SSD and the stick, and put back the windoze HDDs. But, you know the drill, if we are here, let's see if the miner runs, before demolishing the house....

IT DID!

I don't know what went wrong, and then, what went right, but we are mining ETH with ~90 Mhashes per second per card after we followed your tutorial on installing OpenCL. . No "speed patch" applied (there is a collection of them on the web, but they don't "smell good", we still need the cards in the future!, so we don't want the magic smoke out yet, therefore no undervoltage and no overclocking for now! - albeit people say such unorthodox tricks can bring you about 20-25% more hash rate).

Edit: the million dollars question is if such unorthodox tricks can bring you 25% more GHzdays when crunching primes too... We may study that latter... :huh_don_t_we_have_a_smiley_turning_pages_?:

[/offtopic]

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2021-05-27 at 05:01
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote