mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Computer Science & Computational Number Theory

Old 2018-02-03, 07:43   #56
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
It's nice to see that ECPP-DJ is still being developed. I hope it will eventually replace Primo as the de facto standard of ECPP software.
Why? Certainly a LAN/WAN version would be ultra-cool.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-04, 11:18   #57
mikeb

"Mike Bell"
Jan 2018

2 Posts

Thanks for the pointer to the script to create the standalone ecpp, I've taken the latest and merged it with my modifications so far. (Apologies anyone who cloned the repo aleady, I did a force push to sort out the history to make this easier in future.)

Taking a hint from a previous post in this thread, I've integrated with http://www.multiprecision.org/cm/ to generate polynomials. The generation is pretty naive at the moment, but it shows potential. If you want to use that you'll need to apply the patch that's in the git repo to CM before you build it, to avoid CM occasionally failing due to insufficient precision. I'll look at getting that contributed back.

I see there's no Ramanujan polynomials in the data right now, but I tried manually adding a couple and they are working fine. I see the paper describes how to generate them but I haven't been through that in any detail yet.

As for becoming competitive with Primo, I don't think that's in reach (for me at least!), but I hope we can get to the point where it is reasonable to use ecpp-dj for numbers in the 2000 digits range.
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 05:48   #58
danaj

"Dana Jacobsen"
Feb 2011
Bangkok, TH

90610 Posts

Supplanting Primo for practical use is really unlikely. It's nice to have a decent open source version though, and now we have another one with Pari/GP. I admit I rather hoped for more immediate feedback when I first posted this :). While I'm still working on the larger project, I haven't really made any changes in ECPP proper in a while.

WraithX did a nice job of making APR-CL into a plug-and-play GMP file. ECPP is more complicated and uses more utilities (e.g. factoring) but it would still be nice to see it packaged up in a way that was easier for others to plug in to their projects. E.g. yafu and Python/gmpy2 among others.

A converter to Primo v4 certificates would be good -- Jared solved this for Pari, and Marcel gave an outline of how to do it earlier in the thread.

I added all the Ramanujan polynomials from the papers to the tiny class_poly_data.h file. I have not updated the other files, as it isn't really worth it at those sizes unless we have more.

Using CM should make it unnecessary anyway once past whatever degree we want to keep static.

Last fiddled with by danaj on 2018-02-06 at 05:50
danaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 21:52   #59
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

91116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaj View Post
Supplanting Primo for practical use is really unlikely. It's nice to have a decent open source version though, and now we have another one with Pari/GP. I admit I rather hoped for more immediate feedback when I first posted this :). While I'm still working on the larger project, I haven't really made any changes in ECPP proper in a while.
Did you ever talk to Marcel about looking at your code and offering suggestions?

I know that he doesn't want to - or can't - make Primo open source, but that doesn't mean he won't share ideas for improving ECPP-DJ.

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2018-02-06 at 21:54
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 04:57   #60
SethTro

"Seth"
Apr 2019

2×103 Posts

Is there a tool that verifies the certificates generated by ecpp-dj?

I'm trying to deterministically verify ~5,000 endpoints for prime-gaps (<1,000 digits). This is easy enough with ecpp-dj but ideally I would double check (really a quadruple check after gmp/pfgw) the result with an independent tool to verify the certificates.
SethTro is offline   Reply With Quote