mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Old 2015-01-01, 16:43   #12
ltd

Apr 2003

22·193 Posts

If we really have a worst case scenario I have at least some older DB exports at home.( data is stored on my NAS and on a separate PC so they should be save)
So in any case we will have all known factors for k/n pairs as there was no sieving after that backup and we will have most of the residues.

I had made some additional backups but never copied them from the server to my home machine. (The virtual server seemed to be save enough and the backups were only done in case that something would destroy the intergrity of the DB to have some fallback data).
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-02, 00:56   #13
Citrix

Jun 2003

32×52×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
They seem to come here very rarely. ltd last visited 7 weeks ago, Citrix - more than a week. You may want to try to send them PM - they will get an email notification (if they didn't disable it). Otherwise, it sounds like the proverbial voice of one calling in the wilderness. They are not here to hear it.
Sorry, I did not check my Private messages. I had visited the forum several times in the last week, but did not log in- so I did not know about the PMs.

Regarding the PRPnet server-- is there enough interest to keep it going at this point or should we move everything to PrimeGrid? Lars, can this be hosted reliably?

Happy New Year to all!

Edit:-
Not sure if this helps
http://98.139.236.92/search/srpcache...ZdohVnyqcJ5g--

Last fiddled with by Citrix on 2015-01-02 at 01:04
Citrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 21:09   #14
Coleslaw

Apr 2014
IL

1012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrix View Post
Sorry, I did not check my Private messages. I had visited the forum several times in the last week, but did not log in- so I did not know about the PMs.

Regarding the PRPnet server-- is there enough interest to keep it going at this point or should we move everything to PrimeGrid? Lars, can this be hosted reliably?

Happy New Year to all!

Edit:-
Not sure if this helps
http://98.139.236.92/search/srpcache...ZdohVnyqcJ5g--
Well if you have still only ~8 people outside of BOINC running work, it would only make sense to really hand it over. It isn't like they are making loads of money off of it or anything and the information is still going where intended. http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=19447

I'm not sure why pinhodecarlos has such an issue with PrimeGrid as it brings many more contributors than the stand alone clients have ever done. Maybe it is an anti-BOINC thing, but that just seems silly to me. If it is getting more done, why is it bad?

Last fiddled with by Coleslaw on 2015-01-14 at 21:09
Coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 21:14   #15
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

52·191 Posts

You are too young to understand PrimeGrid background of stealing projects from here.
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 21:16   #16
Coleslaw

Apr 2014
IL

5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
You are too young to understand PrimeGrid background of stealing projects from here.
And are you too old to explain?
Old 2015-01-14, 21:35   #17
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

52×191 Posts

Basically I was running sieve and LLR for rieselbase 5 with a bunch of friends and suddenly PrimeGrid stole the project without warning mersenneforum users. Also we sieved a lot for rieselsieve project leaded by Lee. Another project stolen by PrimeGrid.
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 22:55   #18
AG5BPilot

Dec 2011
New York, U.S.A.

97 Posts

Quote:
Basically I was running sieve and LLR for rieselbase 5 with a bunch of friends and suddenly PrimeGrid stole the project without warning mersenneforum users
Really? I wasn't an admin back then, but it seems to me that PrimeGrid's getting involved with Siepinski/Riesel base 5 (what we call SR5) was a collaboration between the CRUS admins and the PrimeGrid admins.

If there's any doubt about this really being a collaboration, please take a look here:

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=14591

There's no ambiguity.
AG5BPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 23:06   #19
Coleslaw

Apr 2014
IL

5 Posts

Quote:
Basically I was running sieve and LLR for rieselbase 5 with a bunch of friends and suddenly PrimeGrid stole the project without warning mersenneforum users. Also we sieved a lot for rieselsieve project leaded by Lee. Another project stolen by PrimeGrid.
Well... whether you define what they did as "stole" or not doesn't seem to be the case in this situation if they are coming here asking for additional blocks and are pretty much the only ones seriously doing it. They in this case are not doing anything without warning. So, regardless of this group you refer to feeling jaded in some way, they are at least doing what they can to make a serious effort in something that many has seen as "dead". If it weren't for PrimeGrid and DC-Vault, I would have never even heard of these projects. I have been volunteering my systems with PrimeGrid since 2008.

Last fiddled with by Coleslaw on 2015-01-14 at 23:06
Old 2015-01-19, 06:37   #20
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

22×53 Posts

Quote:
So is this an ultimate? Is PrimeGrid going to still another mersenneforum effort? PrimeGrid stoled RieselSieve and Riesel/S Base 5. I think you guys should say to your community that you come here as a thieves and grab projects. At least that would be humble. Don't you have a bunch of projects to take care off? I don't think PrimeGrid has the sufficient CPU power to hundle all projects you are involved in. PrimeGrid is biting off much more than it can chew.
Quote:
See: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13901
The Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-19, 03:23   #21
VJS

Dec 2004

4538 Posts

Basically after boink came along most of these smaller projects died.

They had an enormous number of minions who contributed unknowingly, which sort of wrecked the projects from an enthusiasts stand point.

Think of them like the Borg, another reference of the time these projects were great...

I have some background data on zip disks and CD's most everything sieved below 50M.
Not sure if this comment is still relative.

Problem is no one is really supporting the project... is primegrid?

-J
VJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-19, 04:41   #22
AG5BPilot

Dec 2011
New York, U.S.A.

97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJS View Post
Basically after boink came along most of these smaller projects died.

They had an enormous number of minions who contributed unknowingly, which sort of wrecked the projects from an enthusiasts stand point.

Think of them like the Borg, another reference of the time these projects were great...

I have some background data on zip disks and CD's most everything sieved below 50M.
Not sure if this comment is still relative.

Problem is no one is really supporting the project... is primegrid?

-J
The Borg, eh? Well, BOINC *does* come out of the box complete with assimilator.

PSP is alive and well on PrimeGrid. As I'm sure you know, for years now there's been an allegiance between PSP and PrimeGrid whereby we cooperated on attempting to prove the Prime Siepinski Problem. While PSP's own PRPNet server is no longer available, the search continues on PrimeGrid's BOINC server. We intend to continue the search on our own server until a prime is found for each of the remaining k's. In other words, yes, we're supporting the project. The leading edge of the search is now n=18,289,479
AG5BPilot is offline   Reply With Quote