henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Liverpool (GMT/BST)

603110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGKIII View Post
I'd like to modify the new base script to handle not-quite-new bases, since it seems to do a bunch of nice things already.

Is it as simple as adding "DIM min_n, xxxx" to the section where all the variables are declared, and then change "SET n, 0" to "SET n, min_n"

Testing it myself might be the way to go, but I'll be out of town this weekend and won't have time to troubleshoot.

I want to get more granular with my sieving (rather than optimizing sr2sieve removal rates for a large range, chunk it better and optimize within those smaller chunks), but I don't currently have a good way to use PFGW to test from A to B, where A != 0.
It wouldn't know for which ks primes had already been found for. It would be nice to write a script that would read in what ks are remaining, test them for a range of n(possibly just 1 n) and write the remaining ks to file. We would need a way of generating the starting ks. PFGW unfortunately seems reasonably slow at doing this for large cks. I am not sure whether this is because it is a large job or because it is a scripting language. I suspect the latter.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 12:47   #123
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×592 Posts

What are you trying to accomplish? IMO, skipping sieving will cost you a significant amount of time.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 17:53   #124
gd_barnes

"Gary"
May 2007
Overland Park, KS

5×17×139 Posts

Quote:
I'd like to modify the new base script to handle not-quite-new bases, since it seems to do a bunch of nice things already.

Is it as simple as adding "DIM min_n, xxxx" to the section where all the variables are declared, and then change "SET n, 0" to "SET n, min_n"

Testing it myself might be the way to go, but I'll be out of town this weekend and won't have time to troubleshoot.

I want to get more granular with my sieving (rather than optimizing sr2sieve removal rates for a large range, chunk it better and optimize within those smaller chunks), but I don't currently have a good way to use PFGW to test from A to B, where A != 0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
It wouldn't know for which ks primes had already been found for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
IMO, skipping sieving will cost you a significant amount of time.

I have to agree with David (henryzz) and Mark here. I do not suggest running the script for anything other than n=1 to 2500 or whatever depth you determine is best to start a new base. 2 reasons:

1. The script is not designed to handle specific k's remaining. It would need significant redesign to accomplish that.

2. Sieving the k's remaining at n=2500 and testing the resultant sieve file with LLR/PFGW/PRPnet with the stop-on-prime option set on is much more efficient.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2012-09-21 at 17:54
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 18:24   #125
CGKIII

Aug 2012

2510 Posts

I don't want to skip sieving, I want to chunk it.

Run the new base script to n = 1500. Sieve with srsieve to n = 3000. Sieve with sr2sieve to optimal depth for n = 3000. Test the resultant candidates.

For those that remain, sieve with srsieve to n = 6250. Sieve with sr2sieve to optimal depth for n = 6250. Test the resultant candidates.

For those that remain, sieve to n = 12500...For those that remain, sieve to n = 25000.

I think by writing it out that way, I figured out what I missed (didn't sleep last night). I can just run srsieve on the remaining candidates like normal (haven't yet had to do this). Take the old set of remaining bases (pl_remain output from the script), remove all which were primed, and then use that as the input to the next round with srsieve.

Depending on the ck and total time, I might not use that many chunks, but even two seems better than my current method, where one of my machines is running sr2sieve from n = 1000 to n = 25000. Sorry for the confusion.
CGKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 19:27   #126
Puzzle-Peter

Jun 2009

22·52·7 Posts

As far as i know (and have experienced) the most effective way is to sieve as many k's and as large an n-range as you are going to test (except for really huge numbers of k's).

So I (and probably everybody else) would recommend using one big sieve file for n=1000 to 25000. If you have many k's, sieve to the optimal depth for, say, n=5000, test to n=5000, remove all primed k's from the sieve file (quick and easy with srfile -d), continue sieving to the optimal depth for n=10000, test to n=10000, remove k's and so on...

EDIT: I just realized that's probably what you meant. But I'm not sure if you were planning to start new sieve files each time, i.e. have only n=1000 to 5000 in the first sieve file, n=5000 to 10000 in the second and so on. It's more efficient to start with the whole range and take out k's that are primed.

Last fiddled with by Puzzle-Peter on 2012-09-21 at 19:31
Puzzle-Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 19:38   #127
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·592 Posts

I understand now.

This is what you should consider doing.

1) Take all k and sieve from n to N where N = max N you intend to test as part of your overall reservation. Sieve to 1e6 or some value of p > max N.
2) Use sr2sieve to sieve to the optimal rate of k*b^m+/-1 where n < m < N.
3) Run "srfile -k factors.txt -w sr_xyz.pfgw" to remove k/n that have a factor.
4) When sieving is done, run pfgw with number_primes (or llr with its corresponding option) for the range of n to m.
5) Run "srfile -d pfgw.log" or "srfile -d pfgw-prime.log -w sr_xyx.pfgw" (again, assuming use of pfgw). This will eliminate sequences from your sieve file for which you found a prime in step 4.
6) Set n = m.
7) Repeat from step 2.

This will reduce the number of steps you need to do to complete the range. Will you sieve some k to a far higher n than you need? Yes, but increasing the size of the range of n isn't that costly.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2012-09-21 at 19:38 Reason: puzzle-peter beat me to it
Old 2012-09-21, 20:05   #128
gd_barnes

"Gary"
May 2007
Overland Park, KS

101110001001112 Posts

Adding some details to what Peter and Mark said, here is what I do:

Run the script to n=2500, sieve all remaining k's for n=2500-25K to optimal depth for the range of n=2500-10K, test to n=10K, remove k's primed and the the range of n=2500-10K in the big sieve file, sieve n=10K-25K to optimal depth, and finally test n=10K-25K.

CPU-wise, you might be able to make a case for breaking off more pieces but IMHO it's too much hassle to do so.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2012-09-21 at 20:11
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 19:12   #129
CGKIII

Aug 2012

52 Posts

Got it. Thanks everyone.

When running sr2sieve, I'm seeing removal rates oscillate quite a bit. Over some time period (scrolling up a number of pages in my terminal window), I see it oscillating from 6 seconds per factor up to 14 seconds per factor, up and down again pretty often. Optimally, I would want to stop it when the removal rate is ~10 seconds, but it seems like I don't want to stop when it first hits the optimal rate, but some time after. Is there any guidance here?
CGKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 20:10   #130
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

1B3216 Posts

Quote:
Got it. Thanks everyone.

When running sr2sieve, I'm seeing removal rates oscillate quite a bit. Over some time period (scrolling up a number of pages in my terminal window), I see it oscillating from 6 seconds per factor up to 14 seconds per factor, up and down again pretty often. Optimally, I would want to stop it when the removal rate is ~10 seconds, but it seems like I don't want to stop when it first hits the optimal rate, but some time after. Is there any guidance here?
The difficulty is that the removal rate is based upon the previous 30 factors found. If you have a compiler (MinGW or gcc), then you can change that to a higher value and continue sieving. It will flatten out the removal rate. If you are running things that are stealing cycles, that would also impact the rate. The software runs at a low/idle priority so the removal rate will be affected if other programs steal cycles from it.
Old 2012-12-29, 18:08   #131
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

2·32·313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
I'll clarify on that:

What I was quoting was more like a probability of prime closer to 70%. Honestly I don't know what percentage chance of prime is the best to sieve.
Gary
tl;dr version: Pick a sieve range that gives 60-65% chance of prime.

Assume sieve time scales with the square root of n-range; that is, sieving 100k to 500k would take sqrt(2) times as long as sieving 100k to 300k, while sieving 300k to 500k would take the same time as sieving 100k to 300k.

Let's say there is a 60% chance of prime in 100k-300k.

Compare sieving 100-500k at once, versus 100-300k followed by 300-500k:
60% of the time, we find a prime in 100-300, and the extra effort of 300-500 is wasted. This extra effort was 40% of the time taken to sieve 100-300.
40% of the time, we don't find a prime in 100-300, and having a file to 500k saves 60% of the time taken to sieve 100-300 versus starting a new sieve 300-500.

So, if we consider sieving to the point where a file has a 60% chance of prime, we are ambivalent between sieving there or sieving twice as deep.

This would seem to suggest the optimal sieve range is somewhere between those two points- that is, at a point higher than 60% chance of prime. However, it also illustrates that it hardy matters- we spend so little time sieving versus testing, and the efficiency curve is VERY broad around the optimal decisions both for n-range and p-depth.

My intuition on this is that a file that produces 1 expected prime (that is, a 63% chance of prime) is optimal. I think my logic shows 60% is on the low side of optimal, but I lack the reasoning presently to demonstrate 63% is optimal.
-Curtis

Last fiddled with by VBCurtis on 2012-12-29 at 18:12
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 19:38   #132
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

2×491 Posts

Simple question:

Is srsieve version 1.0.5 working correct with removing algebraric factors?

I'm asking because I'm currently in the process of sieving 4 k's to p=1P, but I'll have to start from scratch if too many n's has been removed. So can someone elaborate and tell me, weather or not this version of srsieve is working correct or not?

Regards

KEP
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote