mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2009-12-20, 00:14   #1
Sve

Dec 2009

2 Posts
Default Overheating to 90C on Macbook

Hello. I downloaded mprime earlier this afternoon and ran it, typing all the default settings (the ones that were in parentheses in Terminal) except for the memory. When it asked the second time about increasing the memory I typed 10.

The fans turned on very quickly after starting the program and the temperature monitoring program showed that the temperature for 'CPU A Temperature Diode' shot up to 90C. The computer usually runs at 50C, plus or minus a few degrees.

I called Apple and was told that 90C is extremely hot. The man wondered if perhaps mprime set the processor to overclock and warned me that overclocking could void the warranty.

Does mprime cause overclocking?

Are there settings in mprime that I could change to keep the temperature from going so high?
Sve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 02:54   #2
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

9,419 Posts

Don't overinterpret what 'The man' said. If he didn't know what mprime was, then ... well, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Generally, customer reps should know better than that.

Overclocking is something that a user can do, not a program. Yes, theoretically, one can write a malicious or hackish program that will do overclocking for you. And yes, there are some programs written by motherboard manufacturers, but they don't do anything that a user would not have instructed them in advance. They are an extension of the user's hands. So what 'The man' was saying is that you should not overclock your computer.

mprime is not such a program - and it's source is public, so this is verifiable. mprime (or Prime95 on Win) is your gauge, not your gas pedal. People use it to see that they do not have a defective computer (or if they are voluntarily pushing their computers up, that they haven't pushed them too far).

If you plan to run mprime (not just stress testing), then you can use throttle parameter (note the analogy) to keep the temperature from going so high.

Also, try to find out why it is running so hot. It will be hot doing anything if it is hot running mprime. Maybe you blocked all vent openings (e.g. putting it on a bed with the bed cover; usually it is important to have hard surface under a laptop running on high). On idle, it shouldn't be 50C either, not a good sign.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 03:15   #3
spaz

Apr 2009

22×5 Posts

Complete agreement with everything Batalov said.

My one cavaet is that throttling doesn't reduce the load mprime applies in a constant matter, it changes it to a duty cycle. For example throttling at 50% will not result in mprime using 50% of avalible processor time, it will casue it to use as much as it can for ~2-3 seconds then use none for ~2-3 seconds. It applies a all on all off cycle. The reason this may matter is that you can still generate a bunch of heat in that two second time period. For example on my laptop (Dell Vostro 1320 Core 2 Duo P8700) I was reaching 95 C when running mprime all out. (Takes a bout an hour to build up that much heat) When I switched to a 50% throttle I got an average tempature of 65 C. And at idle now I have 39 C. The tempature was much better, but my processing capability was way down, and I had noise issues.

When I say noise issues I mean my fan would run all out for 80% of the cycle, then switch off for the remainder then come back at all out speeds again. This generated a ton of noise, was annoying, and casued me to wish the fan would keep going, just at a slower speed instead of rebooting. This drove me crazy as my laptop is my primary work machine so I don't have mprime running on it now, but on other computers of mine. Mprime will revisit this laptop in the future, but at that point it will be with the laptop sitting in a cold basement, just crunching away.

But you definitely should figure out why its running so hot in idle...

Good luck!
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 03:43   #4
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

3·5·499 Posts

I don't think 50C at idle is unusual with mobile Core2 chips. Also 90C is not out of spec for the chip - although my Macbook Pro runs at only 73C running mprime with fans forced to run at full speed using smcFancontrol.

My laptop did develop some kind of problem over time and the chip ran at 99C forcing the OS to underclock the chip. Thanks to AppleCare Apple fixed the problem.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 10:32   #5
diep

Sep 2006
The Netherlands

2C016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sve View Post
Hello. I downloaded mprime earlier this afternoon and ran it, typing all the default settings (the ones that were in parentheses in Terminal) except for the memory. When it asked the second time about increasing the memory I typed 10.

The fans turned on very quickly after starting the program and the temperature monitoring program showed that the temperature for 'CPU A Temperature Diode' shot up to 90C. The computer usually runs at 50C, plus or minus a few degrees.

I called Apple and was told that 90C is extremely hot. The man wondered if perhaps mprime set the processor to overclock and warned me that overclocking could void the warranty.

Does mprime cause overclocking?

Are there settings in mprime that I could change to keep the temperature from going so high?
When she stands in my office, the macbookpro 17'' has 2 very old cupper heatsinks underneath it. Especially the old swiftech heatsink upside down greatly reduces temp i get impression.The battery is out. Can't afford to replace it nor put it back. It had exploded. Battery cars huh?

With fancontrol i already have the fans at a higher speed. Not highest speed as that creates a stupid high sound that's very terrible to hear.

The thing eats too much power even when idle, so i'm not running any crunching software on her. It's just the device i use to spam the world.

Vincent

Last fiddled with by diep on 2009-12-20 at 10:35
diep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 11:25   #6
Bectkeync

Oct 2009
United States

3 Posts
Default Overheating to 90C on Macbook

A rumor doesnt make it gospel now does it. However they probably will change the build components, i just want a machine that is as hard wearing as the macbook polycarbonate shell is. If it aint broke dont fix it.
Bectkeync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 13:57   #7
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

72510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I don't think 50C at idle is unusual with mobile Core2 chips. Also 90C is not out of spec for the chip - although my Macbook Pro runs at only 73C running mprime with fans forced to run at full speed using smcFancontrol.

My laptop did develop some kind of problem over time and the chip ran at 99C forcing the OS to underclock the chip. Thanks to AppleCare Apple fixed the problem.
90C for a Core2Duo is too much. Mine is clocking down when it's over around 85C. I would suggest the crappy Apple Hardware has a defective cooler or is defective in other ways (as the cheap Apple hardware is all the time).

Better to buy real hardware next time ;).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 15:14   #8
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

255716 Posts

I have decide that TF's are a better fit for laptops than LL. They generate less heat.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 05:03   #9
spaz

Apr 2009

22×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I have decide that TF's are a better fit for laptops than LL. They generate less heat.
They do? Hm... Maybe I can force my laptop to TF then... (The noise/95C issues while P-1 and LLing were to much to take on my new and primary machine...)
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 06:41   #10
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

22·5·307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Better to buy real hardware next time ;).
And you recommend ... what?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 07:40   #11
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
And you recommend ... what?
I think it can be reasonably deduced that he means Anything But Apple.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote