mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2019-09-13, 14:05   #12
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·1,901 Posts

Prague to remove monument to WWII Soviet commander

I was especially amused by Russia's culture minister calling the Prague official who made the decision a "Nazi." Reminded me of the cries of "culture nazis" surrounding the removal of Confederate monuments in the good ol' USA.

I'm not old enough to remember WWII, but I am old enough to remember the "Prague Spring" and the invasion by the Soviet Union Warsaw pact ("Operation Danube") that crushed it. We just passed the 51st anniversary of that invasion. The Russians had their own version of the "domino theory" -- if the Czechs got away with humanizing their regime, Poland and East Germany might be next. What? A free press, without government censorship? Oh, no, can't have that...

There was a comedy sketch show running at the time called Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in. One of its devices was, between sketches, to put up sentences involving plays on words. One of these, after the invasion, was "Siberia is where Russia sends canceled Czechs."
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-13, 19:49   #13
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

983210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I'm not old enough to remember WWII, but I am old enough to remember the "Prague Spring" and the invasion by the Soviet Union Warsaw pact ("Operation Danube") that crushed it. We just passed the 51st anniversary of that invasion. The Russians had their own version of the "domino theory" -- if the Czechs got away with humanizing their regime, Poland and East Germany might be next. What? A free press, without government censorship? Oh, no, can't have that...
Interestingly, the Soviets also occupied my birth country, Austria, for a decade post-WW2, but left voluntarily in 1955, following a formal agreement known there as the Staatsvertrag. (I was very keen on this bit of history after learning about it in school because said treaty was signed on my birthday, May 15.) Sure, they got some goodies in return, but it always interested me that they pulled out voluntarily and peacefully, contrasted with the quite different treatment afforded neighboring Hungary and Czechoslovakia.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-13, 22:32   #14
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

111478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
His parents' reaction was, "It would not be fair to keep his younger brother from playing football just because our older son died." That's Texas High School football fanaticism at its finest.
This leaves me wondering how many concussive hits the parents took.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-14, 00:06   #15
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

26×157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
This leaves me wondering how many concussive hits the parents took.
Good question. It could well have been goodly number for the father, at least.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-14, 10:21   #16
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Interestingly, the Soviets also occupied my birth country, Austria, for a decade post-WW2, but left voluntarily in 1955, following a formal agreement known there as the Staatsvertrag. (I was very keen on this bit of history after learning about it in school because said treaty was signed on my birthday, May 15.) Sure, they got some goodies in return, but it always interested me that they pulled out voluntarily and peacefully, contrasted with the quite different treatment afforded neighboring Hungary and Czechoslovakia.
The SU realised that they had made serious strategic cock-ups with Austria and Finland. They were careful never to make that mistake again.

I suspect that a good part of their reasoning went as follows. We need an extensive buffer zone to keep France and, especially, Germany out of Russia. No-one ever invaded us via Scandinavia. Austria is beyond the necessary buffer zone. We're having enough trouble keeping the DDR, Poland, Bulgaria, etc, under control, so why waste military, economic and political resources? Negotiate for the establishment of non-aggressive regimes in each of those two countries and be prepared to review if the situation becomes nasty.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-14, 11:31   #17
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×1,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
The Moscow Declarations of 1943 might have something to do with it. The joint declaration has the following about Austria:
Quote:
DECLARATION ON AUSTRIA

The governments of the United Kingdom, the Soviet Union and the United States of America are agreed that Austria, the first free country to fall a victim to Hitlerite aggression, shall be liberated from German domination.

They regard the annexation imposed on Austria by Germany on March 15, 1938, as null and void. They consider themselves as in no way bound by any charges effected in Austria since that date. They declare that they wish to see re-established a free and independent Austria and thereby to open the way for the Austrian people themselves, as well as those neighboring States which will be face with similar problems, to find that political and economic security which is the only basis for lasting peace.

Austria is reminded, however that she has a responsibility, which she cannot evade, for participation in the war at the side of Hitlerite Germany, and that in the final settlement account will inevitably be taken of her own contribution to her liberation.
If Austria had been targeted for takeover, Lavrentiy Beria would have overseen it.

Curiously, it was Marshal Konev (the guy whose monument in Prague is to be removed) who presided over the kangaroo court that sentenced Beria to death on December 23, 1953, the sentence being carried out the same day.
Old 2019-10-14, 13:00   #18
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1110110110102 Posts
Default This probably would be moved here if I posted it to RIP...

Atatiana Jefferson, 28

Quote:
At a brief news conference at police headquarters, O’Neil confirmed that the officer did not announce he was police before he fired the fatal shot and that his failure to do so is part of the department’s investigation.

O’Neil also confirmed that Jefferson’s 8-year-old nephew was in the room with Jefferson when she was shot. He said representatives of the police department have spoken with the woman’s family and “shared our serious and heartfelt concern for this unspeakable loss.” Her family has said she was watching her nephew at the time.

O’Neil declined to answer reporters’ questions and said Fort Worth Police Chief Ed Kraus plans to conduct a more in-depth news conference on Monday.

James Smith, who called a police non-emergency number about the open door, told reporters he was just trying to be a good neighbor.

“I’m shaken. I’m mad. I’m upset. And I feel it’s partly my fault,” Smith said. “If I had never dialed the police department, she’d still be alive.”

Smith said Jefferson and her nephew typically lived with an older woman, who’s been in the hospital.

“It makes you not want to call the police department,” he said.
Old 2019-10-21, 21:02   #19
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

380210 Posts
Default Electile dysfunction, Israeli-style

Israel’s Netanyahu gives up on forming new coalition
Old 2019-10-23, 12:02   #20
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1110110110102 Posts

(See discussion beginning here and continued here)

Another episode in the continuing story of the late Harry Dunn's parents' quest for some justice in the tragic death of their son:

UK police to travel to US in car crash probe
Quote:
Northamptonshire Police Chief Nick Adderley said Tuesday that officers will travel as soon as their visas are arranged.
Good luck with that!
Quote:
"Lawyers have clearly stated that the suspect wants to be personally interviewed by officers from Northamptonshire Police in order for them to see her and the devastation this has caused her and her family," Adderley told a press conference.
So, the perpetrator suspect is the victim here...
Old 2019-10-23, 14:10   #21
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22B216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
So, the perpetrator suspect is the victim here...
If it wasn't a wanton act done with impunity, rather an accident (even by negligence), it can be a real issue for the person who did it. To suggest that they may not suffer already from the consequence of their act is to deny that they have true emotions. Fear is an emotion that they obviously suffer.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-23, 15:27   #22
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1110110110102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
If it wasn't a wanton act done with impunity, rather an accident (even by negligence), it can be a real issue for the person who did it. To suggest that they may not suffer already from the consequence of their act is to deny that they have true emotions. Fear is an emotion that they obviously suffer.
Yes, it is certainly possible that the woman responsible is suffering emotionally. She did not leave the scene of the crash, which is certainly a point in her favor. And I'm sure her kids, who were in her car at the time, are suffering emotionally from the experience.

Still, I don't think their distress can compare to that of Harry Dunn's parents, who lost their son.

And in my experience, the best way to mitigate emotional distress over a situation, is to deal with the situation. She fled the jurisdiction after telling authorities she had no travel plans. IMO, that's avoiding the situation, not dealing with it.