mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Old 2016-07-04, 17:37   #1
magox

Jul 2016

116 Posts
Default Hello, who could be able to endorse me so that I can publish on arxiv about Riemann Hypothesis?

I actually demonstrate that Riemann hypothesis is false.

Does anybody is interested? I'll send you the paper by mail befor you may endorse me.

Please!

And have a nice day/night.

Tom
magox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 17:44   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

28·41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magox View Post
I actually demonstrate that Riemann hypothesis is false.

Does anybody is interested? I'll send you the paper by mail befor you may endorse me.

Please!

And have a nice day/night.

Tom
Post a link to your paper here. There are several members who could take a quick look and then decide whether it's worth endorsing you.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 18:15   #3
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·3·13·79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Post a link to your paper here. There are several members who could take a quick look and then decide whether it's worth endorsing you.
At first I thought you wrote "educating" instead of "endorsing" so I had to read that again. I can only imagine what RDS would write.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 18:24   #4
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I can only imagine what RDS would write.
Probably would depend on mood. If in a bad mood already the fact that the OP has typographical errors in his post here might be enough to set RDS off on a rampage. someone who hasn't mastered the english language in type is going to solve a mathematical hypothesis that hasn't been solved in hundreds of years since it's posing ?
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 18:43   #5
danaj

"Dana Jacobsen"
Feb 2011
Bangkok, TH

90610 Posts

I hear vixra is nice this time of year...
danaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 23:49   #6
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

135118 Posts

Just to ensure communication: the above posters don't believe that your paper demonstrates the falsity of the Riemann Hypothesis. viXra is a place where cranks post their papers, although admittedly there have been some respectable mathematicians who have for some reason left papers there as well. It was a good idea but circumstances are such that few would read anything posted there.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 23:59   #7
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

174916 Posts

As an example of its level of quality, here is a non-exhaustive list of some of the proof which have appeared on viXra this year claiming to prove or disprove the Riemann Hypothesis (giving only viXra identifiers here):
1602.0096/1602.0100
Old 2016-07-05, 00:47   #8
danaj

"Dana Jacobsen"
Feb 2011
Bangkok, TH

2·3·151 Posts

In concept, viXra is sort of like arXiv, but with no endorsement requirement or other filters.

The reality is as Charles says: it is mostly full of crank papers, and papers put there will likely have a bad reputation just because the quality is so low. It would accomplish the purpose of getting the work published, and a few people will see it, but not much else. You'd probably be better off publishing it yourself first, or at least giving some idea of how you proceed.

Mostly the problem is that there are *lots* of people that think they can prove or disprove the Riemann Hypothesis, as witnessed by Charles' list. At this point just the act of saying "I have a proof" makes it an almost certainty that you do not. That you believe you have, without any others having given feedback, just adds weight to this.
danaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 01:06   #9
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

160658 Posts

I would argue that it's a well known fact that there are tons of crank papers on viXra (and even the author freely admits to such), but that there are a number of valid papers as well. The crank papers may be merely ignored, utterly so, by design.

As such, "level of quality" isn't a very good measure since by design there is no moderation of quality.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 02:33   #10
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

10111010010012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
I would argue that it's a well known fact that there are tons of crank papers on viXra (and even the author freely admits to such), but that there are a number of valid papers as well.
True -- R. J. Mathar has a few papers there, and they're totally legit. Probably a few others as well. But the problem is, as Dana puts it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaj View Post
The reality is as Charles says: it is mostly full of crank papers, and papers put there will likely have a bad reputation just because the quality is so low.
At this point it's not really a useful place to find or leave papers.

Last fiddled with by CRGreathouse on 2016-07-05 at 02:34
Old 2016-07-06, 02:58   #11
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

11100001101012 Posts

I argue it's a chicken and egg problem -- it has a bad reputation because people give it a bad reputation. It has tons of bad papers, and by some arbitrary metric of "average paper quality" it has a low score, and because of that, people assign *every* paper there a bad rap.

It may not be a good place to find papers objectively speaking and I agree, but it's not a good place to leave papers merely because of outside perception (i.e. that's a subjective statement independent of the "average quality metric"). If I put a paper there and asked people here to read it, would I immediately be labeled a crank merely because of my choice of hosting? I surely could not put a paper on arXiv even if I wanted to (short of making a post here identical to OP's, upon which I might be judged differently only because of my history here, not because of the content of my OP).

[Another point to make is that I surely haven't displayed any signs of being able to write a paper to either arXiv or viXra, but hopefully the thought experiment gets my point across.]
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote