mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22·33·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
How old was Mally, I wonder?

And didn't he mention a paper he'd submitted that he claimed proved a conjecture(sorry for being vague, I don't remember the details) that would win him some money if correct? If the paper is deemed correct, how do you award money when the winner is dead?

Hi

Sorry, I forgot to answer your second question.

My Father worked very hard on the paper and he submitted it to a Hungarian organisation and also to a US organisation. Sadly, the Hungarians rejected his theory but the Americans have so far acknowledged receipt of his theory.

Thanks

Warren
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 17:18   #46
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

80416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
Unless Mally was ashamed of visiting this forum, I assume his
computer remembered the details as mine does.
Hi

Thanks for your reply and well wishes. My dad had basic computer skills and so he was not aware of saving his user names and passwords. It is fortunate that he had actully written down all his usernames and passwords on a piece of paper and had told a friend about it. Once we located the UN and Passwords, we managed to get on the forum and his email accounts and inform all his friends

Thanks Again

Warren
Old 2007-09-25, 17:20   #47
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22×33×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
He told me 69

Dave

He was actually 68.......going on 69

Thanks

Warren
Old 2007-09-25, 17:35   #48
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

205210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Malcolm is here, now. Among us who have had the luck to know him.

His passion, his verve in maths was topped only by his faith. He made us discover, and often re-discover, the power of the Indians' math thoughts, as well as lateral thinking. Ideas that pervaded this forum always leaving a track behind.

He taught us to always let some space to our certainties, to see a "bit" beyond reality. To believe in us as men, not as gods, not as mathematicians.

It is now our mission (and surely my will) to make his name and his ideas to survive him with us.

My one regret was a letter from him that I never had time to answer, a letter dealing with humanity, family, music, love and faaith: I thought I had time to write it with calm and care; now I learnt that I must not postpone a talking to a friend. This has been his last lesson to me.

I miss you Malcolm, from the deep of my heart. I hope you will forgive my laziness.

Luigi
Luigi

Thank you for your reply. I am in the process of organising a rememberance card which will be in the form of a bookmark and will have some words about him and also a picture of him.

I will be posting a new post when I have got the remeberance cards ready and will leave my email address for anyone to email me their address, so I can post them a bookmark.

I will also post general Thank You post to all his well wishers very shortly

I have many Gurus in my life, but my Dad was my first and so he will always be my 'Maha-Guru'

Thank You once again

Warren
Old 2007-09-25, 17:39   #49
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

40048 Posts

Thank You very much.............I will be reading the poem to my mum

Warren Goode
Old 2007-09-26, 11:43   #50
T.Rex

Feb 2004
France

11100100102 Posts
Default Sad

I'm sad to hear this bad news.

My condolences, Warren & Bruce.

We discussed together and with many other people about God and Life after Death. As atheist, I was against his religious points of view.
Now, he lives in our memory.

Please post his photograph on this thread.
And let us have news about his theory.

I'm 20 years after him. Lost my father when 15.

Buddhists say "impermanency".

Regards,

Tony
T.Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 07:41   #51
jinydu

Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

110110111102 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about this. mfgoode would often comment on my own work and congratulate me for my achievements.

jinydu

Last fiddled with by jinydu on 2007-09-27 at 07:41
jinydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 14:36   #52
David John Hill Jr

Jun 2003
Pa.,U.S.A.

22×72 Posts
Default Condolances

I was trying to use our local library to unsuccessfully post a paint to the forum, when I noticed the untimely death of M.F.Goode.
Although my involvement with him on the forum is relatively recent, his sincerety in wishing to help others along was totally evident.His insight to many problems was crystal clear and invaluable.

So far as the conjecture he was attempting to have published, I had myself worked on that some time before entering this forum, and before I even knew what an email number was, and I had come to a conclusion there was a schism between the math publishers and the given conjecture. Further,evidently he sent his manuscript to a math association publisher: however , except in special cases, their publication schedule is more than a year ahead, and unless a person has been notified of inclusion, the submission in itself does not quarantee publication.It might be wise to check on its status before drawing any further conclusions.
I am sure I would be interested in his approach to the conjecture, of which I have a problem of spelling correctly , but knowing a pronunciation
of B-eel- s.
David John Hill Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 03:29   #53
devarajkandadai

May 2004

22×79 Posts
Default obituary

Regret to inform members of sad demise of Malciolm Goode.He passed away on 18th Sep( Funeral was on 22nd sep).I had known him for the last ten t=years.He had retired as cabin Supervisor in Air India and had a fairly large collection of books, specially maths books.Treasure his gift to me-"Fermat's Last Theorem" by Singh.
A.K.Devaraj
devarajkandadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 11:59   #54
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

I know. It's the top sticky in this subforum.
http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=9327

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2007-10-01 at 18:19 Reason: Mod note: merged the thread started by Mr. Devaraj in with main
Mini-Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 18:31   #55
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarajkandadai View Post
Regret to inform members of sad demise of Malciolm Goode.He passed away on 18th Sep( Funeral was on 22nd sep).I had known him for the last ten t=years.He had retired as cabin Supervisor in Air India and had a fairly large collection of books, specially maths books.Treasure his gift to me-"Fermat's Last Theorem" by Singh.
A.K.Devaraj
As Mini-Geek pointed out, his sons were thoughtful enough to have
informed us promptly of the sad news.
Mally frequently regaled us with tales of his exploits at 35,000 ft.
I certainly enjoyed Simon Singh's book, as well as some lower-maths-level
sparring with Mally on this forum, to which he was a notable contributor.

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote