mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2016-07-20, 20:04   #1
TObject

Feb 2012

40510 Posts
Cool If you liquid cooler fails remove it right away

So, a closed loop liquid CPU cooler failed in one of my PCs, the pump stopped pumping. No problem, I ordered a replacement cooler, and let the PC sit off overnight.

One thing I did not notice is that not only the pump failed, but that it started leaking; so when I opened the computer up to put the replacement cooler in the next morning, I was presented with one heck of a mess to clean up. The video card took the most of the assault, and did not survive. Everything else seems to be functioning.

The cooler failed after four years of use.

So, if your liquid cooler fails, take it out right away.
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 11:49   #2
0PolarBearsHere

Oct 2015

4128 Posts

Did you take any photos?
0PolarBearsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-25, 18:20   #3
TObject

Feb 2012

34·5 Posts

I took some photos with my phone, but luck would have it, on Saturday, my phone reset itself to factory settings in my pocket, and I lost everything. I have not backed up photos from the last two weeks.

My phone is encrypted, and it takes a good password to unlock. But all it takes to reset is to factory settings is holding two buttons while powering on, and then pushing one more button. Whoever thought of that is a passive aggressive person that hates the whole world. LOL

Entering the password wrong ten times would also reset my phone to factory settings. This can be disabled for the lock screen, but not for cold boot.
Old 2016-07-26, 04:04   #4
0PolarBearsHere

Oct 2015

2×7×19 Posts

You're having a really bad run with technology aren't you. You'd better sweet talk your whitegoods before they pack it in as well :)
0PolarBearsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-26, 07:53   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

223408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
a passive aggressive person that hates the whole world.
That's me, haha. You know, I had this "protection" for an e-reader some time ago, if you input the password wrong a number of times, it will erase all the books (wipe the flash) and reset to factory defaults. That was most probably done so somebody else would not access your books (seriously?). The "feral teenagers" in our house set a password and forgot it. We had an important file there, and we want it recovered. After few trials to "crack" the password without success (read: typing almost-random passwords), we decided to open the toy to see what is inside. This toy had 4GB of memory, from which 2GB was taken by the "system" (in fact a linux machine!) and 2GB were available for books. We always complained that the space for books is too low. Fortunately it had a micro-SD slot where we always kept a 32GB card, special for this reason. No, the toy won't read books directly from this card, any book you open is saved into internal flash, just in case you remove the card. Which is a bit of silly, because the internal flash need purging from time to time, etc.

Our interesting file was in internal flash. Of course!

We were making plans how to read the internal flash (our work place has a lot of toys which could be used, like programming adapters, etc, we produce electronics here).

Then guess what we found when we opened? [edit: don't look to the picture, that is cheating!]

There is no flash on board. The manufacturer was so clever to mount another micro-SD card socket there, into which a 4GB card was plugged (no irony here! internal flash would be cheaper and faster, but it would limit your liberties, especially during development process. To add a micro-SD was clever, and the socket adds to the price, even if a very cheap one was used [edit: now you can look to the picture and compare the two sockets - if this device would be designed for industrial use, the plastic socket would be forbidden, as is not shock proofed, the card can fall out due to vibrations). We took it out, read our files into the computer, copied it with diskdupe (dd) into an 8 GB card which was laying around unused and unhappy, and then we used linux partition editing tools (gparted) to extend the second partition to fill the whole card.

Then we had a device with 6GB storage space for books and we were happy for weeks about our "cleverness", hehe. We could even format it with the reader itself, after we copied our naughty file from there.

We should have a photo somewhere... (found it! Let's add some text and a watermark to it... we were just in process of doing those shameful things to other pictures...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	reader.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	14694

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2016-07-26 at 08:05
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-26, 07:58   #6
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

5,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
That's me, haha. You know, I had this "protection" for an e-reader some time ago, if you input the password wrong a number of times, it will erase all the books (wipe the flash) and reset to factory defaults. That was most probably done so somebody else would not access your books (seriously?). The "feral teenagers" in our house set a password and forgot it. We had an important file there, and we want it recovered. After few trials to "crack" the password without success (read: typing almost-random passwords), we decided to open the toy to see what is inside. This toy had 4GB of memory, from which 2GB was taken by the "system" (in fact a linux machine!) and 2GB were available for books. We always complained that the space for books is too low. Fortunately it had a micro-SD slot where we always kept a 32GB card, special for this reason. No, the toy won't read books directly from this card, any book you open is saved into internal flash, just in case you remove the card. Which is a bit of silly, because the internal flash need purging from time to time, etc.

Our interesting file was in internal flash. Of course!

We were making plans how to read the internal flash (our work place has a lot of toys which could be used, like programming adapters, etc, we produce electronics here).

Then guess what we found when we opened? There is no flash on board. The manufacturer was so clever to mount another micro-SD card socket there, into which a 4GB card was plugged. We took it out, read our files in the computer, copied it with diskdupe into a 8GB card which was laying around unused and unhappy, and then we used linux partition editing tools (gparted) to extend the second partition to fill the whole card.

Then we had a device with 6GB storage space for books and we were happy for weeks about our "cleverness", hehe. We could even format it with the reader itself, after we copied our naughty file from there.

We should have a photo somewhere... (found it! Let's add some text and a watermark to it... we were just in process of doing those shameful things to other pictures...)

Attachment 14694
Some phones claim to have internal micro-SDs. Usually this isn't socketed though. Why stop at 8GB?
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-26, 08:07   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

25×5×59 Posts

Hate you when you quote the last post in full!
Especially if it is my post, and you do it before I finish all the editing...

Edit: stopped at 8 because that is what we had. It was "top line" once, you know? Right now is the cheapest you can buy, which means almost free (not the smallest, you can buy smaller cards but they are more expensive due to low availability!). But once, it was "woowww, you have an 8GB card??!?!?!". And we have many laying around, from former projects. And 6GB was enough for all our Asimov and John Brunner, Frank Herbert, (and few others) books collection.. (and few technical PDFs, but the device was terrible for reading PDFs). We re-read all those classics at old age, in original language (we were reading them in our native languages when it was our turn to be "feral teenagers" in our parent's house, but we rightly suspected that some meaning was "lost in translation". We were quite surprised to find, for some books, endings which were different than we remember them. It seems that the communist authorities didn't like the mot-a-mot translated versions here and there... Ashamed to say, we liked few "changed" versions better than the originals, but more often, touching the plot was bad for the book).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2016-07-26 at 08:24
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-26, 19:25   #8
TObject

Feb 2012

34×5 Posts
Thumbs up

Great stories. My phone actually has a removable microSD card, and that is where I save the pictures.

But, the microSD card is encrypted with keys that are erased when the phone is factory reset. So, even though I know the password, all I can see is file names. The files' contents are encrypted with the erased key.

I dump any new pictures to network attached storage (NAS) every few weeks. I keep the NAS box off most of the time, and turn it on manually to do various backups. That is why the last couple of weeks worth of pictures are lost.

Yes, I had a bit of a black stripe with technology lately. But this is where I would choose to have problems, as I can much rather deal with technology problems than any other kinds. Thank you.