Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous Math

Old 2010-10-16, 15:38   #1
lorgix

Sep 2010
Scandinavia

3·5·41 Posts
Default New to programming. What to do?

Moved from other thread.

I'm sort of new to programming. Not that new to math.

Where do I begin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2be8 View Post
What platform are you (windows, Linux, etc)?

If Linux start with a scripting language (eg. Shell scripts, Perl, Python). Once reasonably confident with that learn a compiled language such as C.

To do really serious work you need assembly language. But do NOT try to lean that as your first or second language!

Chris K
Thanks for responding,

I'm running Windows XP.

A few years back I used some high-level language (mostly simple Boole terms) to control machinery.

I have also occasionally written simple programs on my TI-84+ calculator.

That's it!

I have felt the need many times.
Simple example related to GIMPS(etc.); I have two simple *.txt lists of numbers that I want to produce a third *.txt list from by applying say XOR, AND, OR... very basic. I can't fix that...

Also, provided source code, I know I need an assembler, but I barely know what that is.

What to do...

Suggestion(s)?

Last fiddled with by lorgix on 2010-10-16 at 15:41
lorgix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 09:51   #2
lorgix

Sep 2010
Scandinavia

3×5×41 Posts

Seriously you guys? Nothing?

Just looking for some pointers here, not a private tutor.

Mods, please move this if it's in the wrong place. Only writing this cause I'm guessing it might..
Old 2010-10-18, 10:41   #3
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

236110 Posts

Here's a suggestion.

1. Get the free version of the MicroSoft C++ compiler and write a "Hello World" program. This is a program that outputs "Hello World." Writing this requires you to solve the infrastructure problems of creating source code, compiling, linking, etc without be burdened by the domain specific problems.

2. Write a program that will read one of your text files and write out every other line. This requires solving the problems of file opening, reading, writing and also some method of passing parameters to the program.

3. If it isn't obvious what to do next, come back for more advice.

William
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 17:30   #4
chris2be8

Sep 2009

32×227 Posts

It's a bit hard to target advice when I don't know how old you are, who you work for, which country you live in, etc (I can tell you're past being a student).

If you work for a large company the IT department may be able to offer advice. Or you may have a friend who can help. Getting to the point where you can run a program that does something is the initial barrier.

Once you've got to the point where you can do things try the Puzzles forum. Try to solve a few puzzles, they will be good exercise.

Also look for books, magazines, web sites etc about programming. They can give you ideas.

Chris K
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 18:07   #5
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

20C016 Posts

what programming language do you know ? if not how can we tell all the capabilities so that someone can help test you.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 19:00   #6
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

33×107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorgix View Post
I have two simple *.txt lists of numbers that I want to produce a third *.txt list from by applying say XOR, AND, OR... very basic. I can't fix that...

Also, provided source code, I know I need an assembler, but I barely know what that is.
If you're 'only' trying to create a file from two different text-files, the easiest way should be a text processing tool.

I'm using for a long time now a program called 'gawk' and use this to create a page in html-format from 3 or 4 text-files showing on my homepage.

For example creating the file All Riesel Primes from all html-pages in the Data-section by calling a batch/script in seconds although there're ~160k primes to collect and list!

The WIN-version of gawk is free for download and you also can easily port/use it under UNIX-derivates, too.
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 19:38   #7
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

3×5×17×37 Posts

Quote:
Seriously you guys? Nothing?

Just looking for some pointers here, not a private tutor.

Mods, please move this if it's in the wrong place. Only writing this cause I'm guessing it might..
I think no one wrote anything, because the first post already had an answer in it (a quote from Chris; it actually sounds better without the "If" part):
"start with a scripting language (eg. Shell scripts, Perl, Python)."
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://python.org/
Python runs on Windows, Linux/Unix, Mac OS X, and has been ported to the Java and .NET virtual machines.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 07:54   #8
lorgix

Sep 2010
Scandinavia

3·5·41 Posts

Thanks everybody.

I guess I'll be checking out Python, C++ and gawk, and things should begin to fall into place.
Old 2010-12-08, 21:41   #9
lorgix

Sep 2010
Scandinavia

3×5×41 Posts

I bought a book.

It has a snake on the cover.

I have a good feeling about this.
Old 2010-12-08, 22:22   #10
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
I bought a book.

It has a snake on the cover.

I have a good feeling about this.
the language you choose is up to you but it should reflect what you want to do.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote