mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-11-30, 20:34   #1
ConstipatedNinj
 
ConstipatedNinj's Avatar
 
Nov 2015

32 Posts
Default Auto-add Computers?

Howdy!

I work in HPC and I would really love to donate some extra cycles from our systems, but the setup for it seems a bit... involved. I'd rather not manually run the setup for each and every one of our ~4000 hosts to make sure it all reports correctly. Is there anyone who has successfully set up GIMPS as a PBS job who might be able to help me out?

I have a couple of ideas on how to do it automatically (largely through abuse of expect commands), but I wanted to know if there was a more elegant option.

Thanks for your time!
ConstipatedNinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 22:58   #2
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

22×13×157 Posts
Default

Please make sure you have permission first! (The electrical and cooling cost increase will not be trivial!)

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-01, 01:08   #3
ConstipatedNinj
 
ConstipatedNinj's Avatar
 
Nov 2015

32 Posts
Default

I do indeed! I already do something similar for folding@home.

In fact, it's generally appreciated when we submit a bunch of super-low-priority jobs, because it bumps up our cluster utilization percentages and gets our CIO more interested in putting down money for another cluster.
ConstipatedNinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-01, 05:47   #4
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstipatedNinj View Post
I do indeed! I already do something similar for folding@home.

In fact, it's generally appreciated when we submit a bunch of super-low-priority jobs, because it bumps up our cluster utilization percentages and gets our CIO more interested in putting down money for another cluster.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-01, 20:33   #5
ConstipatedNinj
 
ConstipatedNinj's Avatar
 
Nov 2015

10012 Posts
Default

I know it's dumb, but boy, if the difference between say 83% utilization and 92% utilization is another 200 nodes to next year's cluster and the extra utilization is actually going to a good cause, I don't lose any sleep

But I take it that there's nobody who has done it in this format?
ConstipatedNinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-01, 20:44   #6
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

225468 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstipatedNinj View Post
But I take it that there's nobody who has done it in this format?
Let's run a thought experiment...

If you have this much compute available then you will want to be identified.

Hmmmm....
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-01, 21:09   #7
ConstipatedNinj
 
ConstipatedNinj's Avatar
 
Nov 2015

32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Let's run a thought experiment...

If you have this much compute available then you will want to be identified.

Hmmmm....
I'm really sorry, but I don't think I quite understand what you're saying.

Are you saying that I'm making myself a target, are you saying that others wouldn't talk because they don't want to become a target, are you saying that anyone who would have done this would have talked about it before, or did you mean something entirely else?
ConstipatedNinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-01, 21:33   #8
blip
 
blip's Avatar
 
Jan 2014

100100102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstipatedNinj View Post
Howdy!

I work in HPC and I would really love to donate some extra cycles from our systems, but the setup for it seems a bit... involved. I'd rather not manually run the setup for each and every one of our ~4000 hosts to make sure it all reports correctly. Is there anyone who has successfully set up GIMPS as a PBS job who might be able to help me out?

I have a couple of ideas on how to do it automatically (largely through abuse of expect commands), but I wanted to know if there was a more elegant option.

Thanks for your time!
The setup is quite simple and can be fully automated. What OS are you running on those hosts?
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-01, 21:48   #9
ConstipatedNinj
 
ConstipatedNinj's Avatar
 
Nov 2015

32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
The setup is quite simple and can be fully automated. What OS are you running on those hosts?
I agree with your statement. After doing it manually once, I immediately had a few ideas of how to automate it. I was just reaching out because why reinvent the wheel.

The majority of our systems are RHEL, but we do have a wide variety of different flavors of linux for special use cases.
ConstipatedNinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-01, 22:50   #10
blip
 
blip's Avatar
 
Jan 2014

2×73 Posts
Default

See this thread for init file and logging on linux flavours. I assume you have something like cfengine or puppet to distribute software and configs. prime.txt and local.txt are host-specific, but I do not know what would a minimum set-up here, or how to create a batch of IDs beforehand. Also, you would need to insert some system info (CPU freq, memory) there as well. Mprime generates some of this info on first start.

Last fiddled with by blip on 2015-12-01 at 22:54
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-01, 22:57   #11
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstipatedNinj View Post
I know it's dumb, but boy, if the difference between say 83% utilization and 92% utilization is another 200 nodes to next year's cluster and the extra utilization is actually going to a good cause, I don't lose any sleep

But I take it that there's nobody who has done it in this format?
I was only amused, not making fun. It's just the reference to budget battles that tickled me.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto-XYYXF tool fivemack NFS@Home 3 2016-07-06 04:01
auto off/on machines wildrabbitt Hardware 3 2016-05-14 16:31
Auto scroll and auto maximize worker windows ? wyattwong Software 3 2011-02-25 20:20
Spammer auto-ban system? 10metreh Forum Feedback 6 2009-08-24 17:35
Auto updates from mprime rgiltrap Linux 1 2007-01-08 22:33

All times are UTC. The time now is 08:39.

Thu May 13 08:39:08 UTC 2021 up 35 days, 3:20, 1 user, load averages: 1.63, 1.81, 1.75

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.