Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2015-01-19, 10:41   #1
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts
Exclamation Soapbox Discussions

Welcome.

If you'd like to discuss current events, form or defy a consensus, or just unwind, or if someone is wrong on the internet and that's a problem (Duty Calls - xkcd), then you might be in the right place.

Soapbox Guidelines -- To keep things rolling without too much roiling:
  1. Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others.[1]
  2. Be kind to humans because sometimes you're human too.[2]
  3. When we produce sharp criticism, make explicit that we are criticizing someone's idea-of-the-moment, and not attacking them personally.[3]
References:
[1] Robustness Principle - Wikipedia
[2] Reciprocity - Wikipedia.
[3] Avoid Misunderstandings
"Be excellent to each other! Party on dudes!" - Bill & Ted

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2016-09-16 at 15:58 Reason: Added third guideline
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-19, 11:54   #2
axn

Jun 2003

2·3·827 Posts

To which I might add Hanlon's razor (s/stupidity/ignorance)
axn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 21:40   #3
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
To which I might add Hanlon's razor (s/stupidity/ignorance)
This is a good guideline for when perplexing disconnects occur: assume good intentions.

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2015-01-21 at 22:41
Old 2015-02-06, 06:50   #4
davar55

May 2004
New York City

3×17×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
"Anyways, since we feel this way, we just follow some simple "rules":

"Be nice. Be respectful. Be positive. Be supportive. Don't lie."

"We would like to think that we do all of that because deep down we are all sugar and spice,
but in reality we act this way for selfish reasons.
When we follow "the rules" people are (for the most part) nice to us, and we like that."

IOW Xyzzy believes in the Golden Rule: Do not do unto others what you wouldn't have
others do unto you. And that this is practical, and practicable for selfish reasons.

I agree.
Just want to reiterate Xyzzy's respect for reciprocity, the golden rule.
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-22, 23:27   #5
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts

Speaking of Discussions, is anyone aware of a Soapbox thread concerning the "Drug War" and all its ugly manifestations? I have a piece on Mexico I'd like to post, but I'd like to put it with related material, if such exists. Otherwise, I'm happy to start a thread.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-25, 01:23   #6
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

1110101010102 Posts

In my opinion, Zeta-Flux's posts are welcome and an asset. I find his point of view to be interesting and appreciate that he articulates his reasons beyond merely stating them. I haven't been paying particular attention but in general have felt his posts have also been well-mannered.

When I put my stamp on this forum, I added specific permissiveness of forming or defying a consensus here or with the internet at large. One of the reasons I have been a wet blanket on direct profanity beyond what is generally necessary among adults is because it is all too easy to turn that profanity on a forum participant. This is a simple way to make it easier for me to quell many personal attacks. It is actually personal attacks and labeling individuals with negative attributes that I am most interested in preventing.

I am repeating the first post of the Soap Box sticky thread guidelines here for your convenience and will be copying this current message to that thread. From the time that I have been granted the courtesy of lower moderation abilities for this this forum, my task has been made very easy by the reasoned and polite discourse of all parties communicating here and I thank everyone for that restraint. The high signal-to-noise ratio of the intelligent messages here is also nice.

TLDR; the rest of this post is merely a repeat of the first post of Soap Box guidelines and then a showcase of some of the smilies for the forum that involve cats. I adore cats and want use some of them in the future. They seem very cute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
Need to discuss current events, form or defy a consensus, or just unwind?
Is someone wrong on the internet? [1]
Then you might be in the right place.

To keep things rolling without too much roiling:
"Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others." [2]
Be kind to humans because sometimes you're human too. [3]

[1] Duty Calls - xkcd
[2] Robustness Principle - Wikipedia
[3] Reciprocity - Wikipedia.
"Be excellent to each other! Party on dudes!" - Bill & Ted

Old 2015-07-13, 03:21   #7
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2×1,877 Posts

I've received a complaint about a post in this a thread

I'm a junior newbie mod and I've never locked a thread nor have I deleted any posts other than copies of a few posts that I made and then deleted when I found a way to mess-up splitting a thread. All of the original posts remained intact. And I reverted my own accidental double post to a single post.

Quite recently I added a few sentences into someone else's post and changed a verb into plural form for grammatical correctness after the insertion of the word snakes. I must say that when I did this I felt that I had overreached but also felt undoing the changes as if I had never done them in first place would be a greater error.

So now I find myself reluctantly considering these stonger moderation methods. My thinking is everyone here is honestly saying what they believe which is a valuable thing. On the other hand I try to steer things away from being too personal nor do I want to dismiss feelings of posters or inhibit their willingness to post in the future.

On a personal note I have felt that the Soapbox has been very quiet recently and some of my actions have aimed at letting letting people be less inhibited in speaking their minds. I've been encouraging a more open freedom strictly for the Soapbox than would be wise for the internet at large or for many other forums. Many of the people here are professional people who do not deserve the barroom chatter that I encourage here be considered a reflection of character outside of the Soapbox.

I'm going to copy this message into Soapbox Discussions thread where anyone can speak their thoughts to this message or to Soapbox Discussions in general.

As for my actions on this thread I am going to do nothing. I think very highly of all of you and do not want to be too intrusive. I'll come back in a little while and if this thread seems too heated or personal I may lock the thread for a short time to cool it down.

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2015-07-13 at 03:40 Reason: copied from the right to marry thread.
Old 2015-07-13, 05:01   #8
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

32068 Posts

Quote:
I think very highly of all of you and do not want to be too intrusive. I'll come back in a little while and if this thread seems too heated or personal I may lock the thread for a short time to cool it down.
I think that as a participant in the discussion with a very firm opinion, you should, at least, consult other moderators before such an intervention as the lock down of thread.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 05:51   #9
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2×1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
I think that as a participant in the discussion with a very firm opinion, you should, at least, consult other moderators before such an intervention as the lock down of thread.

Jacob
I am the lowest moderator in the authority chain for the forum. My job as I see it is to not bother them with communication about every action. A mechanism has already informed them about a problem in the thread. They may accept my actions, preempt my actions with actions of their own, or override my actions after the fact. What I am least inclined to do is ask permission or advice prior to doing moderation. If I don't have enough of a opinion of what moderation I should do before the fact, then I am not doing a good job of offloading general work from them and onto my shoulders.

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2015-07-13 at 05:57
Old 2015-07-13, 08:30   #10
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

2×5×167 Posts

Quote:
I am the lowest moderator in the authority chain for the forum. My job as I see it is to not bother them with communication about every action. A mechanism has already informed them about a problem in the thread. They may accept my actions, preempt my actions with actions of their own, or override my actions after the fact. What I am least inclined to do is ask permission or advice prior to doing moderation. If I don't have enough of a opinion of what moderation I should do before the fact, then I am not doing a good job of offloading general work from them and onto my shoulders.
Sorry, I mixed up. I retract my remark

Jacob

Last fiddled with by S485122 on 2015-07-13 at 08:31 Reason: caps lock => "?" instead of ","
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 08:46   #11
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

375410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Sorry, I mixed up. I retract my remark

Jacob
You had a valid point that I had expressed strong opinions in the thread that might bias my actions. I thank you for ensuring that I consider that. That's something that I should always consider and well worth bringing to my attention.