mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2009-11-29, 03:56   #78
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Ah, I see where the confusion's coming from. That's PRPnet's built-in stats, which are NOT official NPLB stats. When we get DB import turned on for PRPnet servers, the results will be imported and the stats will be calculated according to the same formula we've always used for LLRnet.

Note the disclaimer I put in our PRPnet servers thread (which has actually been there from the beginning):
Quote:
*User stats are calculated directly by the server, and may not match up with our official stats at http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/. These stats are primarily useful for comparing different users on that specific server, and use a completely different formula for calculating score. They are provided for informational purposes only.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 07:50   #79
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

26·3·53 Posts

People will be hounding us pretty fast on this Max: Can you give us an approximate time frame on when the results and primes scores will be interfaced with the main NPLB scores? People aren't going to want to go very long waiting for that. Thanks.

Thanks for the calculations Tim. For everyone's reference, Tim's multiplier for the difference between PRPnet scores and official NPLB scores is for "entertainment" only. In no way will the score calculated by the server be used for the official NPLB score. At this moment, nothing found on a PRPnet server is reflected on the pages.

Gary
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 14:29   #80
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
People will be hounding us pretty fast on this Max: Can you give us an approximate time frame on when the results and primes scores will be interfaced with the main NPLB scores? People aren't going to want to go very long waiting for that. Thanks.
I'm not sure. Currently I'm waiting to hear back from Dave; I'm wondering if he's away for Thanksgiving or something. (Do they do Thanksgiving in Australia? )
Old 2009-11-29, 18:17   #81
Brucifer

Dec 2005

31310 Posts

Well at any rate, thanks to all for your explanations!!!
Brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 19:18   #82
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

Problems cropping up. On port 7000, my clients are intermittantly handing up when trying to send results to the server, and they just hang forever. This started showing up yesterday, and has been pretty heavy today so far. So I have cut back on the number of clients hitting 7000 and have put a bunch onto the prpnet server. So will see how that goes. ???????
Old 2009-12-01, 00:55   #83
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Problems cropping up. On port 7000, my clients are intermittantly handing up when trying to send results to the server, and they just hang forever. This started showing up yesterday, and has been pretty heavy today so far. So I have cut back on the number of clients hitting 7000 and have put a bunch onto the prpnet server. So will see how that goes. ???????
Hmm...strange. I don't see anything in the log files indicating that the server crashed and had to be restarted. However, I do see that there are a bunch of rejected results that showed up today, from about 1:45 to 2:00 AM server time (CST).

Hey, wait a minute...I just had a thought. Gary, when did you do the UPS run-down test? Was that by chance around 1:45 AM?
Old 2009-12-01, 05:06   #84
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

26×3×53 Posts

That's exactly when I did it. I restarted it with that same command that you recommended when I changed the servers over to another machine. Why would it cause Bruce to have problems?
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 08:30   #85
Brucifer

Dec 2005

31310 Posts

I don't know what has happened with the port 7000 stuff. I have quit running it. I'd go checking my systems and on a quad, 3 out 4 cores would be locked up at the point of trying to send to the server OR sucking down new work.... ????? Really has me buffaloed as I have done nothing to these systems and they were all working just fine for days before. And they work just fine on the prpnet server. Ya got me! ????
Old 2009-12-01, 16:05   #86
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
That's exactly when I did it. I restarted it with that same command that you recommended when I changed the servers over to another machine. Why would it cause Bruce to have problems?
The rejected results would be explained by the fact that the server "forgot" everything that happened since it last saved jobList.txt (which is saved every 5 minutes), due to the abrupt shutdown. I still don't see how that could cause Bruce's problems, though. Most likely they're unrelated.
Quote:
I don't know what has happened with the port 7000 stuff. I have quit running it. I'd go checking my systems and on a quad, 3 out 4 cores would be locked up at the point of trying to send to the server OR sucking down new work.... ????? Really has me buffaloed as I have done nothing to these systems and they were all working just fine for days before. And they work just fine on the prpnet server. Ya got me! ????
I'm not sure what's causing these problems. Do you by chance know when this first started happening? If it started around 1:45-2 AM CST on 11/30, then there might be some connection to the restart. Otherwise, though, I have absolutely no idea.

If it did start around the restart, then it could just be that the clients goofed because they couldn't connect to the server (or, in some cases, may have been cut off in the middle of talking to the server, which can cause all sorts of crazy problems). My internet connection cuts out on a regular basis and as such I've seen similar issues with my own clients. They'd hang if they were interrupted in the middle of a communication.
Old 2009-12-01, 17:32   #87
Brucifer

Dec 2005

13916 Posts

This stuff all started after the last batch of pairs was loaded in. Prior to that point in time things were running along just fine. Then I notice hangups starting, few at first, but growing progressively worse. I also noticed that there was a rejected pairs list growing on the server that hadn't happened before. Then we had the UPS event, and then things just reached the point that I'd have to spend all my time going back and re-starting systems. And that's when I just said heck with it and put it all on prpnet and some other stuff and quite the 7000 altogether.

Another thought Max, would be for you to set up a linux prpnet server for 7000, load it up with a huge load of stuff, tar it up so I could suck it down and run it here at home on my net, and then when it goes dry, tar it up and give it back to you.
Old 2009-12-01, 17:58   #88
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
This stuff all started after the last batch of pairs was loaded in. Prior to that point in time things were running along just fine. Then I notice hangups starting, few at first, but growing progressively worse. I also noticed that there was a rejected pairs list growing on the server that hadn't happened before. Then we had the UPS event, and then things just reached the point that I'd have to spend all my time going back and re-starting systems. And that's when I just said heck with it and put it all on prpnet and some other stuff and quite the 7000 altogether.

Another thought Max, would be for you to set up a linux prpnet server for 7000, load it up with a huge load of stuff, tar it up so I could suck it down and run it here at home on my net, and then when it goes dry, tar it up and give it back to you.
If we were going to do that, we might as well just make it into a public PRPnet server to replace the current G7000. Since this one's doing non-top-5000 work, not having the email notification working isn't particularly crucial, and as such, it would work out OK to switch it to PRPnet now.