retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

3·19·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Edit: if you do that (i.e. sorting sowpods in excel), be careful of this: <snip>
Same is true for dates and leading zeros in phone numbers.

Always import in text format. Don't let it auto detect (or whatever it calls it) the contents.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-13, 06:36   #24
MattcAnderson

"Matthew Anderson"
Dec 2010
Oregon, USA

3×367 Posts
Default Wordle game

From January 9th 2022
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

to quote tServo -
An interesting game.
Kinda like "Mastermind" with letters.

Hi all,
I won a game in 5 guesses.
Might try again. It is fun.
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wordle game.png
Views:	45
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	26408  
MattcAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-13, 14:50   #25
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

3×31×113 Posts

Quote:
We got the one today quite right from 4 trials (the fact that it started with A helped, hehe)
Today's word demonstrated that I made an incorrect assumption: words can repeat letters. I assumed otherwise.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-13, 15:05   #26
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

2×52×132 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wordle.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	26415  
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-13, 15:11   #27
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2×5×1,129 Posts

Got it in three today.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-13, 16:23   #28
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2·3·11·43 Posts

for some reason I always forget the Y is widely used in english
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-13, 19:10   #29
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

3×31×113 Posts

Just a note for those playing along at home. It appears to me that it is using your local midnight as the reset time. So be considerate of those in Hawai'i and spoilerize anything that points to answers. Also, be cautious with your images.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-14, 07:27   #30
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

7×1,423 Posts

Did not get it today.
I reached as far as "taffy" in 5, and eliminated most of the other letters, but there were still plenty of choices after, like taggy, tarry, tammy, tanky, etc, I tried tawny and it gave me the n on the wrong place, so I assume it was tanky or tangy

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2022-01-14 at 07:29
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-14, 15:07   #31
masser

Jul 2003
Behind BB

188110 Posts

Quote:
Did not get it today.
I reached as far as "taffy" in 5, and eliminated most of the other letters, but there were still plenty of choices after, like taggy, tarry, tammy, tanky, etc, I tried tawny and it gave me the n on the wrong place, so I assume it was tanky or tangy
Nearly the same for me. One of those final two is much more commonly used, so I went with it and was correct.
masser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-14, 15:33   #32
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2×2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Today's word demonstrated that I made an incorrect assumption: words can repeat letters. I assumed otherwise.
This caught me also yesterday. I suspected it due to running out of potentials, but I didn't have time to verify and had to forego solving it yesterday.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-14, 16:35   #33
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×17×113 Posts

I'm not much on this sort of thing, but I did have a go at it on Monday January 10th. My thought processes were significantly impeded by fever and other cold symptoms. My concentration was shot. But I was curious as to whether I could actually solve the puzzle.

I reckoned the thing to do was to identify the vowels in the word, and try to avoid repeating letters, at least at first.

I was lucky on my first guess, got a vowel that was in the word. I was even luckier on the second guess - I got the letter at the end of the word. But by then I couldn't remember which color square meant "letter in word but not in this position" and which meant "letter in this position in word." After blearing at the screen for a while, I figured out where to click to bring that up.

At some point I also had a consonant in the word, which I was able to place by a subsequent guess.

After five guesses, I had ?U?RY and knew that (at least) one of the ?'s was E. The answer should have been obvious, but I simply stared stupidly at the screen. I couldn't even remember a device I had previously used to construct words with known letters in unknown positions - simply put the known letter in one of the positions, and try filling in the remaining position(s). And in the present instance, there were plenty of gray squares in my guesses, so there weren't many unused letters left. But my mind absolutely refused to function.

So, I resorted to a mindless approach - I tried an online search for five-letter words ending in RY. That yielded a fairly short list, but it was still too much for me to plow through. I did a text search for U. Boom! The word QUERY practically jumped off the screen.

I typed it in as my sixth guess. The letters turned green and danced. A screen with statistics came up. I stared at it uncomprehendingly and then quit.

Can I do this? Yes. Curiosity satisfied. Do I want to? Not especially.

FWIW ideas that popped into my mind while I was playing actually lingered long enough for me to put them into words. One was, in initial guesses, try words with commonly used consonants. If they're not in the word, it probably helps narrow the possibilities significantly.

It also occurred to me that if you know a letter is in the word, but not where, you can use a subsequent guess to try to place it in the word. Even if you don't succeed, you have eliminated more places to put it.

It also occurred to me that the answer was probably a common word. I had actually found EUERY as an archaic rendering of EVERY. I had tentatively rejected it because it seemed awfully obscure, and I didn't know repeated letters were possible. This kept me looking until I found a common word that fit.

I also note that you can't simply enter things like "AEIOU" to find the vowels in a word, or "EEEEE" to find where the letter "E" occurs if you know it's somewhere in the word

So it seems to me that the game has a word list of its own, which it refers to in deciding whether guesses are acceptable. And that would be the word list to use if you want to "optimize" your guesses.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote