mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Gap Searches

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-12-20, 21:52   #12
mart_r
 
mart_r's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
you know...around...

22×5×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert44444uk View Post
Checked up to p=1001200549 and a second run of 15 found but no run of 16 yet.

Because the median merit following a prime is only about 0.7 merit - i.e. 0.7*g/ln(p) - there may be a case for saying that arbitrarily long runs of gaps with merit >1 do not occur. Interest to hear from others.

Well you already found 46318910903 (length 16), 103947089669 (17 and 18), and 184722051989 (19 and 20, the latter almost being of length 23), from your data in the OP at x=30. And those are probably not minimal, the columns for x=22..28 are missing - with log(184722051889) = 25.942..., x=26 would suffice here.

I do expect arbitrarily long runs of gaps with merit larger than a given value. It has long been proven that the merit of a gap between two primes can become arbitrarily large, so I would expect the same to be true for a series of consecutive gaps with at least a given merit each.
mart_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-21, 09:39   #13
robert44444uk
 
robert44444uk's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

2,039 Posts
Default

Here is an interesting pair of graphs - they shows he median gap of a range of all gaps for primes 2 to x, with x up to 999983. The second graph ignores the results up to x=4409 so as to see the fine detail of the later ranges.

I plan to carry the range up to prime range from 2 to 1e7, although the work is relatively intensive on resources it does look as if the median gap is on the rise again at 1e6 and it is worth looking at this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GraphE.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	26269   Click image for larger version

Name:	GraphF.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	26270  

Last fiddled with by robert44444uk on 2021-12-21 at 09:42
robert44444uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-21, 09:40   #14
robert44444uk
 
robert44444uk's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

2,039 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart_r View Post
Well you already found 46318910903 (length 16), 103947089669 (17 and 18), and 184722051989 (19 and 20, the latter almost being of length 23), from your data in the OP at x=30. And those are probably not minimal, the columns for x=22..28 are missing - with log(184722051889) = 25.942..., x=26 would suffice here.

I do expect arbitrarily long runs of gaps with merit larger than a given value. It has long been proven that the merit of a gap between two primes can become arbitrarily large, so I would expect the same to be true for a series of consecutive gaps with at least a given merit each.
That does rather look like the case - I retract my earlier statement.
robert44444uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-21, 14:46   #15
robert44444uk
 
robert44444uk's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

2,039 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert44444uk View Post
Here is an interesting pair of graphs - they shows he median gap of a range of all gaps for primes 2 to x, with x up to 999983. The second graph ignores the results up to x=4409 so as to see the fine detail of the later ranges.

I plan to carry the range up to prime range from 2 to 1e7, although the work is relatively intensive on resources it does look as if the median gap is on the rise again at 1e6 and it is worth looking at this.
Please use the thread "Median Gaps" for further postings on this theme.
robert44444uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-23, 18:38   #16
Bobby Jacobs
 
Bobby Jacobs's Avatar
 
May 2018

25810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert44444uk View Post
Min merit >5

Code:
Min	merit:	5	Run	of	merits:	2	Initial	prime:	10938023	Following	gaps:	102	96		Merits:	6.293287056	5.923090292	
Min	merit:	5	Run	of	merits:	3	Initial	prime:	1440754039	Following	gaps:	122	130	108	Merits:	5.785162115	6.164516983	5.12129101
A gap of 102 after 10938023 would make the next prime 10938125. That is obviously not prime.
Bobby Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-23, 22:43   #17
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

5·1,153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Jacobs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert44444uk View Post
Min merit >5

Code:
Min	merit:	5	Run	of	merits:	2	Initial	prime:	10938023	Following	gaps:	102	96		Merits:	6.293287056	5.923090292	
Min	merit:	5	Run	of	merits:	3	Initial	prime:	1440754039	Following	gaps:	122	130	108	Merits:	5.785162115	6.164516983	5.12129101
A gap of 102 after 10938023 would make the next prime 10938125. That is obviously not prime.
Gotta be a minor oopsadaisy. Let's see here... Ahh, here we go!
Code:
? precprime(10938023-1)
%1 = 10937921
? nextprime(10938023+1)
%2 = 10938119
?
So, 10938023 is 102 more than the preceding prime, and 96 less than the next prime.
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-24, 08:40   #18
robert44444uk
 
robert44444uk's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

2,039 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Gotta be a minor oopsadaisy. Let's see here... Ahh, here we go!
Code:
? precprime(10938023-1)
%1 = 10937921
? nextprime(10938023+1)
%2 = 10938119
?
So, 10938023 is 102 more than the preceding prime, and 96 less than the next prime.
I'm no programmer, Sorry for this. What is wrong therefore is the statement "Initial prime is". As the same program is used for all examples, perhaps what we could say is that the stated prime is part of a sequence with consecutive gaps of the stated size.
robert44444uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-19, 23:46   #19
Bobby Jacobs
 
Bobby Jacobs's Avatar
 
May 2018

2·3·43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert44444uk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert44444uk View Post
Here is an interesting pair of graphs - they shows he median gap of a range of all gaps for primes 2 to x, with x up to 999983. The second graph ignores the results up to x=4409 so as to see the fine detail of the later ranges.

I plan to carry the range up to prime range from 2 to 1e7, although the work is relatively intensive on resources it does look as if the median gap is on the rise again at 1e6 and it is worth looking at this.
Please use the thread "Median Gaps" for further postings on this theme.
Did you tell yourself which thread to use? Weird.
Bobby Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gaps between maximal prime gaps Bobby Jacobs Prime Gap Searches 52 2020-08-22 15:20
Using long long's in Mingw with 32-bit Windows XP grandpascorpion Programming 7 2009-10-04 12:13
I think it's gonna be a long, long time panic Hardware 9 2009-09-11 05:11
Gaps and more gaps on <300 site gd_barnes Riesel Prime Search 11 2007-06-27 04:12
2003 Oct 31: P-1: a set of 17 larger exponents GP2 Completed Missions 2 2003-11-03 15:34

All times are UTC. The time now is 14:28.


Tue May 17 14:28:26 UTC 2022 up 33 days, 12:29, 1 user, load averages: 2.02, 1.48, 1.38

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔