mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2021-09-15, 19:13   #78
lavalamp

Oct 2007
Manchester, UK

137010 Posts

The oldest drive I have in use right now is a 2TB Hitatchi (before they renamed to HGST) with 86000 hours on it and not a single error. I did retire it, but then I un-retired it for Chia.
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-16, 03:28   #79
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

7×1,423 Posts

Usually the contrarian, haha...
I really do like Seagate portable drives (like the Slim, and the series). The main reason I like them better than their competitors (like Toshiba or the locally made WD which had a lot of advertising in the past years since they opened the factory in Bangkok), is the fact that they contain a "normal format" disk inside. Yeah, I know this is quite "geeky" and not the thing normal user looks for, but I "randomly" bought few portable disks some years ago and found out some of them (different brands) are "beating" (in speed, transfer rate, etc) the usb adapters our factory was producing at the time (for a third party customer; we do not make HDDs, but recently we started making SSDs for industrial use, again, not our design), so I was curious what ICs they use and how they made the USB interface, therefore I opened them. Then I found out that, as opposite to WD's Passport line and few others, which have a single PCB on which the HDD and all circuitry is attached (i.e. they created an "all in one", "custom" hard disk effectively, obviously for miniaturization reasons), the Seagate was using just a normal, internal HDD, and had a USB-to-SATA adapter, separate, on a very small PCB.

Guess what? I bough few more Slims, and ever since, the HDDs and the adapters live separate lives. The HDDs were inserted into different computers and laptops around the house, to be used as backup disks, or even as system disk, while the adapters, few were destroyed in the "investigation process" , but I still keep few, which work extremely well as usb-to-sata adaptors for any other disks that I happen to need to plug into the computer without turning it off. They even work with 3.5 inch disks (which require more power, but still in the USB 3.0 limit).

If I remember in the evening when I reach home, I will put a photo or two.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2021-09-16 at 03:50
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-28, 02:05   #80
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

2·19·59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post

If I remember in the evening when I reach home, I will put a photo or two.
Looks like you forgot.
:
Talking about disk shortages, perhaps this will help from 1981:

https://devrant.com/rants/160116/har...sement-in-1981

For the record, prices did fall shortly after. I distinctly recall buying my 1st PC, 2 or 3 years later for a mere $2k+. It had a 10 MB Hard-disk.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-16, 15:04   #81
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

2×1,051 Posts

Crypto has tanked considerably in recent weeks, especially space-based like Chia. There are lots of drives available on eBay for relatively low prices compared to what they were. Some are selling them in lots instead of individually.

I am wondering how many hours run time some of these have on them. From what I can find, the Chia blockchain began on 5/30/2021. 231 days ago, according to M$ Windows Calculator Date function. If any of them were ran continuously, they would have 5,500 hours on them, more or less. There are also read/write cycles to consider. How many and how long. It is my understand that space-based "farming" does intermittent short read cycles. Write cycles are heavy until drives are filled with plots.

All I would say is that any seller must accept returns as part of the deal. Refusing is a red flag as far as I am concerned.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-16, 16:25   #82
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

145058 Posts

Drive lives vary considerably. Cases in point:
In an HP G72-B60-US laptop, 9.5 years x 24/7 ~ 83,000 hours. This is the one that took several unplanned dives off the arm of the couch onto the carpet, severe enough that eventually the clamshell hinge mounting in the screen portion broke. That system is approaching 12 years IIRC, 10 of it as my everyday all day main PC, and still has the best keyboard reliability here. (Quite a contrast to a 2-year keyboard failure on another.)

In a Dell laptop, 4 years. This one led an easy life. It was a crap design overall. FIVE components failed within 4 years: CD/DVD, touchscreen, HD, battery, power adapter as I recall. When I'd forget the DVD drive was broken, disassembly was necessary to recover a DVD from it. The HD failure was shortly after leaving it to play wildlife videos for the viewing pleasure of a housecat for a couple days.

Years ago in a nearby university small department, stretching its IT hardware budget very thin, the lone support person would routinely run equipment until it failed, repair, and repeat. HD lives to failure of 9-12 years were common. He would revive ostensibly dead hard drives by swapping electronics boards, cycling drives in and out of a refrigerator or freezer, shaking or tapping the cases to loosen stuck heads, and various other approximately last-resort measures.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-01-16 at 16:26
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-16, 16:39   #83
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

32·5·251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Drive lives vary considerably.
The drives in my Dell workstation have been running reliably 24/7 for 10 years now.

Not sure how long the "model name : AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor" machine has lasted but again, 24/7. It now lives upside down or the cpu fan gets stuck so the bearings must be wearing out.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-16, 17:47   #84
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

7·19·31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
The drives in my Dell workstation have been running reliably 24/7 for 10 years now.

Not sure how long the "model name : AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor" machine has lasted but again, 24/7. It now lives upside down or the cpu fan gets stuck so the bearings must be wearing out.
I guess it is an after market fan because the originals scream a bit under full load. Have you considered replacing the fan component?
paulunderwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 18:33   #85
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

2×1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Drive lives vary considerably. Cases in point:
In an HP G72-B60-US laptop, 9.5 years x 24/7 ~ 83,000 hours....
83,000 hours is quite remarkable. Do you recall the capacity?

The longest life on a drive I have had was in the area of 56,000 hours. It was a 250 GB WD, and in a HP workstation I bought back in 2016. It was blank. I had a pair of identical Seagate 500's from 2008. One gave up and 28,000 hours and the other at 42,000.

I thought I had really stepped in it yesterday evening. I have a WD 1TB 2.5" external portable. I had it laying on top of a case and connected. It kept wanting to slide and eventually did making a perfect pendulum into a wall. It was powered on. I figured that was the end of it. I connected it to my primary system and it powered up and initialized without incident. I scanned it with HDDScan. No issues. The only thing I can figure is it must have been "asleep." It's tougher than I gave it credit for. I had been handling it like an egg.
Old 2022-01-17, 18:48   #86
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

5·17·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
. . .
I thought I had really stepped in it yesterday evening. I have a WD 1TB 2.5" external portable. I had it laying on top of a case and connected. It kept wanting to slide and eventually did making a perfect pendulum into a wall. It was powered on. I figured that was the end of it. I connected it to my primary system and it powered up and initialized without incident. I scanned it with HDDScan. No issues. The only thing I can figure is it must have been "asleep." It's tougher than I gave it credit for. I had been handling it like an egg.
I would still back up all important files from it. I once was using a laptop and got to the top of a staircase with it on and open, when it contacted the banister and took a trip down the stairs and out onto a hardwood floor, shedding the battery as it traveled. Much to my delight and surprise, when reassembled, it powered up perfectly. However, it totally failed a few weeks later.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 18:57   #87
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

2×1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
I would still back up all important files from it. I once was using a laptop and got to the top of a staircase with it on and open, when it contacted the banister and took a trip down the stairs and out onto a hardwood floor, shedding the battery as it traveled. Much to my delight and surprise, when reassembled, it powered up perfectly. However, it totally failed a few weeks later.
I had already planned to move some archives from it as soon as I can find a new home for them About 85 GB in all. The remainder is hard drive image backups. If it fails with just those, then it is not a major loss. I can simply recreate them. Sometimes I may go a month or more without using it. Last night was one of those time I did.
Old 2022-01-17, 22:20   #88
PhilF

"6800 descendent"
Feb 2005
Colorado

701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
83,000 hours is quite remarkable. Do you recall the capacity?
Actually, the Mean Time Before Failure these days is over 1 million hours. That means by the time 1,000,000 power-on hours is reached, half the drives are expected to have failed.

I found this page very interesting, since it relates to hard drive reliability by brand:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backb...stats-q2-2020/

Last fiddled with by PhilF on 2022-01-17 at 22:20
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote