mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Old 2010-04-27, 07:59   #67
DigiK-oz

Jul 2008

2410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiK-oz View Post
There's a .BAT file supplied in the download that starts 1,2,4 or 8 clients. It basically changes to a directory and executes prpclient.exe using the "START" command. I observe the same behaviour however when starting by double-cliocking prpclient.exe.

Client version 3.2.4? Will see if I can find that and re-test. Does that client work with the 2.4.7 server?

EDIT : Well, I found the 3.2.4 client (alpha version), still seeing the same behaviour :(
Well, it seems to do some checkpointing now (any idea how often?). Will investigate further.
DigiK-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 12:54   #68
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

23×3×52×11 Posts

Quote:
Well, it seems to do some checkpointing now (any idea how often?). Will investigate further.
The PRPNet client does not tell LLR when to write its checkpoint. The client knows if the PRP test is running, but not its progress.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 15:13   #69
DigiK-oz

Jul 2008

23×3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
The PRPNet client does not tell LLR when to write its checkpoint. The client knows if the PRP test is running, but not its progress.
I understand, but any idea what the checkpoint frequency of LLR is? I may have been waiting for too short a period during testing.

So, when shutdown gracefully, a checkpoint appears to be written at time of shutdown (by both llr AND prpclient?). On forcefull shutdown, no checkpoint is written.

So, when a client is started, it falls back to the last checkpoint, which will be either very recent (if it has been shutdown gracefully) or further back (if not stopped cleanly). In the latter case, it simply depends on when the last regular checkpoint was. Could be seconds ago, or up to the checkpoint interval (of LLR in my case).

So, anyone know the interval at which LLR checkpoints?

Why all the questions? I am trying to write a (windows) wrapper app around the prpclient, and sending ctrl-c to the client is...well....a pain in da butt :)

Last fiddled with by DigiK-oz on 2010-04-27 at 15:23
Old 2010-04-27, 15:27   #70
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Quote:
Why all the questions? I am trying to write a (windows) wrapper app around the prpclient, and sending ctrl-c to the client is...well....a pain in da butt :)
Just curious, what's the wrapper for? Depending on its application, it may be more appropriate to just wrap LLR directly rather than prpclient.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 15:29   #71
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

23×3×52×11 Posts

I don't know the logic LLR uses for creating checkpoints.
Old 2010-04-27, 15:31   #72
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I don't know the logic LLR uses for creating checkpoints.
I believe it creates checkpoints every 30 minutes unless specified otherwise in llr.ini; since PRPnet doesn't specify this, that means 30 minutes. It also checkpoints when it receives a SIGINT (Ctrl-C) or SIGTERM (it probably responds to more signals but I can't recall any for sure off the top of my head).
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 16:29   #73
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

23·3·52·11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
I believe it creates checkpoints every 30 minutes unless specified otherwise in llr.ini; since PRPnet doesn't specify this, that means 30 minutes. It also checkpoints when it receives a SIGINT (Ctrl-C) or SIGTERM (it probably responds to more signals but I can't recall any for sure off the top of my head).
If that is the case, then I'm suspecting that a hard crash (or close of the DOS window) does not send the signal to LLR.
Old 2010-04-27, 17:42   #74
DigiK-oz

Jul 2008

23×3 Posts

Quote:
Just curious, what's the wrapper for? Depending on its application, it may be more appropriate to just wrap LLR directly rather than prpclient.
Well, I hate having 8 cmd windows in my taskbar. So I spawn the prpclient from my wrapper, hiding the cmd windows and capturing stdout and stderr to fetch the % completed into 8 progressbars. This works just fine. However, on exiting the wrapper, I would like to stop the prpclient processes cleanly, to avoid losing any work processed.

I tried simply killing the process, but that loses the work done since last checkpoint (or, apparently, even loses more work in early versions of prpclient).

SO, still hunting for a way to send ctrl-C to the clients. Tried several things already, but still no luck. I still have about a gazillion possibilities to explore, however :-)
Old 2010-04-27, 17:53   #75
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

23·3·52·11 Posts

Quote:
Well, I hate having 8 cmd windows in my taskbar. So I spawn the prpclient from my wrapper, hiding the cmd windows and capturing stdout and stderr to fetch the % completed into 8 progressbars. This works just fine. However, on exiting the wrapper, I would like to stop the prpclient processes cleanly, to avoid losing any work processed.

I tried simply killing the process, but that loses the work done since last checkpoint (or, apparently, even loses more work in early versions of prpclient).

SO, still hunting for a way to send ctrl-C to the clients. Tried several things already, but still no luck. I still have about a gazillion possibilities to explore, however :-)
I use software called Console2. It runs the console from a tab within the application. This way you have one item in your task bar which corresponds to a single window with 8 tabs (or however many you want).

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2010-04-27 at 17:53
Old 2010-04-27, 19:22   #76
opyrt

Apr 2008
Oslo, Norway

7×31 Posts

Quote:
I believe it creates checkpoints every 30 minutes unless specified otherwise in llr.ini; since PRPnet doesn't specify this, that means 30 minutes.
From the cllr.exe readme:
Quote:
DiskWriteTime=<number> : Time elapsed between disk savings (def. 30mn.).
You can alter it in llr.ini if you want to set it lower.
When it comes to ways of having llr exit gracefully, I suggest you ask Jean Penné: http://jpenne.free.fr/index2.html

opyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 20:22   #77
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

23·3·52·11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyrt View Post
From the cllr.exe readme:

You can alter it in llr.ini if you want to set it lower.
When it comes to ways of having llr exit gracefully, I suggest you ask Jean Penné: http://jpenne.free.fr/index2.html

I could modify the PRPNet client to set this to a lower value, such as 5 minutes or so. More frequently would probably create too much I/O. Less frequently doesn't save you much.