mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2005-02-03, 09:42   #1
Asian-American

Feb 2005

268 Posts
Default Why America Really Invaded Iraq

Greetings,

I thought I would share with you two interesting articles on why the American government really invaded Iraq:

http://www.amconmag.com/03_24_03/cover.html

and

http://www.vdare.com/misc/macdonald_neoconservatism.htm

Regards.
Asian-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-08, 03:27   #2
outlnder

Aug 2002

2×3×53 Posts

The Americans really invaded Iraq because Hussein was interferring with our access to Iraqi oil. Since the USA contracted with Iraq to get their oil, the USA has every right to get it when it is not delivered as contracted.

This is as good a reason to go to war as any.

Much better than whose god is a better god, IMHO.
outlnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-08, 03:59   #3
philmoore

"Phil"
Sep 2002
Tracktown, U.S.A.

3×373 Posts

Uh, let me get this straight, Outlnder - Suppose I go on vacation and my neighbor agrees to mow my lawn for $25 each mowing. I come back and find that he has broken the contract, i.e., not mowed my lawn even once. So since he has broken the contract, I am entitled to shoot him (which is the civil equivalent of going to war)? Or maybe I deliver an ultimatum and he still won't mow my lawn, so now I shoot him. Surely your posting was tongue-in-cheek?
philmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-09, 13:27   #4
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

22·691 Posts

AFAIK, the US did not have any contracts to get Iraqi oil so Saddam could not have broken them.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-13, 19:55   #5
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

All I've got to say about the article is that what some people think of as horse crap others think of as healthy fertilizer. Jews dominate our politics because the Judeo-Christian God is showing them favor at the moment.

Side with them, or don't side with them, as long as we don't directly oppose Israel and don't forget our God we will stay the economic and military power that we are. It's when we forget our roots and the Christianity based morality of this country's forefathers that we will be destroyed. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when, and I hope I'm dead by then.

My biggest concern is the fact that George Bush won't own up to what's going on. Shouldn't these policies be publicly acknowledged as the result of righteous inquirement? It doesn't make any sense to me.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-14, 22:02   #6
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

I'd like to add an aside to this(off-topic warning): I know I sound like an ass when I post these things, but I really am I nice guy. There are a lot of people who claim to be Christians and/or righteous but simply have a goal of tearing things up.

I learned a long time ago that non-Christians behave on a different premise and I'm either out of their understanding or a hypocrite. This goes for everything from the Michael Jackson case to the displaying of the Ten Commandments issue.

I think a friend of mine indirectly summed it up best, in this case we were talking about homosexuality, but it applies in other areas as well:

"What he said made perfect sense, IF you assume that Jesus didn't rise from the dead."

That's the entire crux of the matter, whether or not there is a God. And if there is, is he fair and loving?

George Bush is lying about why he invaded Iraq, but I don't think there has EVER been a major editorial that stated the real reason, that the Iraqi people were being abused by a small minority and he wanted to incorporate permanent change according to what the Iraqis wanted for themselves, whatever that may be. Those people needed help, and the fact that that involves military action is unfortunate and sad. But if you think of an Iraqi as being just as valuable as an American, it's a no-brainer.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-15, 12:32   #7
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

142528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong
George Bush is lying about why he invaded Iraq, but I don't think there has EVER been a major editorial that stated the real reason, that the Iraqi people were being abused by a small minority and he wanted to incorporate permanent change according to what the Iraqis wanted for themselves, whatever that may be. Those people needed help, and the fact that that involves military action is unfortunate and sad. But if you think of an Iraqi as being just as valuable as an American, it's a no-brainer.
I don't think it is quite that easy. There has been a lot of FUD thrown around by the various sides of the debate. It is nearly impossible to pull the truth out from it. Many people I know believe that Bush has a Messiah complex with a need to free the oppressed world. Others think that even if his religious conviction was part of his reason to invade that he was right to do it.

We can believe that a vast majority of Iraqi's wanted Saddam to be overthrown, beyond that we can only guess. Some want a democracy like the U.S. Others want a theocracy like Iran. Imagine if 75% of American were members of the Christian Coalition. Fortunate for us, there are thousands of Christian denominations in the U.S. each with their own set of beliefs which prevents the Christian right from infusing their will on the population. Iraq is different. There aren't hundreds of variations of Islam. There are two and they are not that different. While in the U.S. many Christians are somewhat liberal in their interpretation of the Bible, in Islam that is not the case with the Quran. There are no liberal interpretations of the Quran, at least not what we would call liberal in the U.S.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Our constitution guarantees us certain freedoms, one being freedom of religion. The separation of church and state prevents our government from forcing us to live our lives as Christian, as Jews, as Muslims, etc. Our democracy thrives on our differences. Because the differences aren't as pronounced in Iraq, I don't believe that it can sustain a democracy. I expect it to become a theocracy, a dictatorship, or whatever you want to call Pakistan within a generation if it doesn't fall into a civil war before then. A civil war in Iraq would have frightening consequences for the rest of the Middle East if not the world.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-17, 12:34   #8
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

22·691 Posts

f every Iraqi was as valuable as an American then why did the US military take a very public decision not to count Iraqi war causaulties. And why does it keep killing innocent Iraqi civilians at checkpoints? Can you imagine the furore if Amrican soldiers sprayed a car full of American civilians (including children) with bullets killing all of them?

Let's be honest. From the US military and government's point of view an Iraqi's life is not the same as that of an American. To even pretend otherwise is hypocritical.
Old 2005-05-19, 08:03   #9
Euler1973

Mar 2003

3 Posts

My theory is a lot simpler ; after 9/11, Bush went for the Taliban in Afghanistan - failed to capture bin Laden and realising that he had an election to prepare for, needed to save face. He looked for the nearest piece of unfinished business and that was Hussein...
Euler1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-20, 14:48   #10
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

53148 Posts

That's an interesting theory Euler1973 except that records show that the Iraq invasion was being planned as soon as Bush entered office and way before Sep 11.

What is not in doubt however is the large scale of killing and torture happening in those countries and the response of the US administration and the top military brass. The article below is an in-depth investigation into one of many situations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/20/in...a/20abuse.html

(You'll need to register on the NYT site for this )
Old 2005-05-20, 16:30   #11
outlnder

Aug 2002

13E16 Posts

Garo, the US military has plans for the invasion or defense of every possible country or region. This is called "preparedness". If you look closely at other country's militaries, they also have such plans.

I am sorry to hear that you actually believe the media in matters of world information.
outlnder is offline   Reply With Quote