Old 2015-08-01, 09:20   #89
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7·467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Cow View Post
[...]Putting the label “gay” in front of “adult”, of course, puts a sharp highlight on the person’s sexual orientation only, so one tends to think of that person in a sexual light, forgetting all the other characteristics that may apply, whether it be religious orientation, education, parental skills, training, etc. etc. [...]
Your whole posting is very astute and has made me think. And with this sentence I think you quite possibly identify the crux of the reason why LGB people meet with such vilification everywhere, or at least one of the main reasons.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 18:59   #90
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

3×7×389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta-Flux View Post
I do not know how often 18 year-olds serve as scoutmasters or assistant scoutmasters.
Scoutmasters have to be at least 21. Assistant Scoutmasters have to be at least 18. (The ASM position is the only "adult" position that we can think of that a Scout can hold.)
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 23:52   #91
Spherical Cow

Nov 2004

22·33·5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Your whole posting is very astute and has made me think. And with this sentence I think you quite possibly identify the crux of the reason why LGB people meet with such vilification everywhere, or at least one of the main reasons.
Yes- its curious how some labels completely dominate the thought process. To many people, for some reason, its as if a "Gay Scoutmaster" has the word SEX! stamped all over him, and that's all they see, and they assume that's all he thinks about. But if the label "Dentist!" is used, no one finds themselves worrying that this guy can't control his dental urges, and he's going to sneak into a scout's tent and do a root canal on some poor kid.

Haven't figured out why some labels are so dominating. Its similar, but it seems to go beyond simple stereotyping. Maybe its changing for "Gay" though, and we'll get to the point where that label won't be so overpowering.

Norm
Spherical Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-03, 16:40   #92
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22×17×139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Cow View Post
That’s true; ...
nice saying!

(to avoid further discussion, no, I am not gay)
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 20:37   #93
Spherical Cow

Nov 2004

22×33×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
nice saying!

(to avoid further discussion, no, I am not gay)
Thanks- Sometimes I make sense, perhaps. Other times, when I try to explain my opinion on something, I'm met with blank stares, and I wonder if I'm even speaking the right language. That happens particularly often with my family...

And, No, I am not gay either. I am also not a dentist.

Norm
Spherical Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-27, 21:37   #94
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7·467 Posts

An 8-year-old boy has been told he is no longer welcome in his Boy Scouts group after having been a member for a month. He is transgender and apparently some parents have found that a reason to complain about his membership.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/e...outs/95518824/

I'm sure plenty of others here will be extremely angry about this.
Old 2016-12-28, 01:51   #95
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

2×7×89 Posts

As a long time Scout leader (20+ years), all I can say is that this would never happen with Scout units in our town. I too find this outrageous, Brian.
richs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 18:34   #96
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
An 8-year-old boy has been told he is no longer welcome in his Boy Scouts group after having been a member for a month. He is transgender and apparently some parents have found that a reason to complain about his membership.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/e...outs/95518824/

I'm sure plenty of others here will be extremely angry about this.
It is shameful.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-05, 11:04   #97
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts
Thumbs up A result

http://www.northjersey.com/story/new...pack/98665342/

Quote:
The Northern New Jersey Council of the Boy Scouts of America has agreed to pay $18,000 and issue an apology to a 9-year-old transgender boy from Secaucus who was thrown out of a Cub Scout pack last year, according to administrative court documents.
Joe Maldonado was allowed back into Scouting earlier this year when the national office of the Boy Scouts issued a statement saying it would begin accepting transgender children. [...]
Old 2017-10-12, 10:03   #98
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2×1,877 Posts

Boy Scouts of America to become fully inclusive for girls
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-12, 13:59   #99
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

29·157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
Hmm, BSA has been in the news this year, hasn't it. Among other things, Il Duce's speech before the organization back in July so infuriated former BSA head Rex Tillerson, he threatened to quit as Secretary of State.

It is arguable that allowing girls in would go against the very name Boy Scouts. But I suppose it could be argued that it would merely require a re-interpretaion, in the sense of the new group of members perhaps scouting for boys. The idea is not new. The following was on the record Songs by Tom Lehrer, released in 1953:

Be Prepared
Quote:
If you're looking for adventure of a new and different kind
And you come across a Girl Scout who is similarly inclined
Don't be nervous, don't be flustered, don't be scared,
Be prepared
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote