mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2018-03-19, 07:40   #1
qqlovekerry

Mar 2018

23 Posts
Default How to control the temperature of the cores?

Dear everyone,
I am trying to use Prime95 on Windows7 or mPrime on Ubuntu. However, I found that the temperature of the cores of my laptop is very high when the software works, which is around 95 degrees Celsius. I think this situation is too harsh for my laptop to run 24 hours a day, so I am wondering whether I can configure the software in order to lower the temperature.
In my case, I have a nearly completely idle laptop, so I want it to run at an average stress level all day up. But I hope the temperature can be adjusted to below 80 degrees Celsius or ever lower, otherwise, there would be too much noise when the software runs. The CPU of my laptop is i7-5500U, it has 2 cores and 4 threads.

My current settings are: "Number of work windows to" is set to be 1 and "CPU cores to use (multithreading)" is set to be 1. It shows that the percentage of the CPU usage is only about 30%, but the temperature is somehow very high. Could you please tell me which options can be used to adjust the usage of the CPUs?
BTW, I installed both Windows7 and Ubuntu14.04 on my laptop, I am curious that which platform is more efficient on the same computer? It seems Prime95 on Windows has a GUI and is more convenient to change the settings.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Image already added
qqlovekerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-19, 20:27   #2
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

5,279 Posts

When I had a laptop with some extra dust in the fans, my CPU temps got over 70C. I used the windows utilities for power management to reduce max clock speed to a level that kept peak temps below 70C; I never noticed a change in responsiveness from 2.0Ghz to 1.6Ghz, but with lower clockspeed comes lower CPU-voltage, so heat generation was much better than the 20% reduction in clockspeed indicates. I found what setting to use by experimentation; there was no obvious "here, choose this setting for that speed for safe temp."

I don't know what similar utility exists for ubuntu, but your BIOS may also have settings for max clockspeed or throttling-by-temperature.

You also might try de-dusting the machine, though it may be intimidating to remove the proper screws to access the fans/vents. I did so annually on a gaming laptop with CPU fan and GPU fan, with 8-10C reductions in temps every time I did so.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-19, 23:57   #3
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

3,313 Posts

You can use this ThrottleStop to lower the frequency the cpu is running on by lowering the multiplier:
https://www.techpowerup.com/download...-throttlestop/
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-20, 01:07   #4
qqlovekerry

Mar 2018

23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
When I had a laptop with some extra dust in the fans, my CPU temps got over 70C. I used the windows utilities for power management to reduce max clock speed to a level that kept peak temps below 70C; I never noticed a change in responsiveness from 2.0Ghz to 1.6Ghz, but with lower clockspeed comes lower CPU-voltage, so heat generation was much better than the 20% reduction in clockspeed indicates. I found what setting to use by experimentation; there was no obvious "here, choose this setting for that speed for safe temp."

I don't know what similar utility exists for ubuntu, but your BIOS may also have settings for max clockspeed or throttling-by-temperature.

You also might try de-dusting the machine, though it may be intimidating to remove the proper screws to access the fans/vents. I did so annually on a gaming laptop with CPU fan and GPU fan, with 8-10C reductions in temps every time I did so.
Thanks very much for your answer! It seems it is easier to control the speed of CPU on windows, so I will use Prime95 on Windows7. Could you please tell me what is the name of the utility you are using? And I will clean the dust some time later.
And I have one more question, since my laptop is nearly idle all the time, and it has two cores. what are the good settings for me to use? How should I choose the number of workers, cores and the RAM to be used? Please advise me.
Thanks in advance!
Old 2018-03-20, 01:10   #5
qqlovekerry

Mar 2018

23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
You can use this ThrottleStop to lower the frequency the cpu is running on by lowering the multiplier:
https://www.techpowerup.com/download...-throttlestop/
Thanks very much for your sharing! I will try that.
Could you please see my previous message to VBCurtis in this post and give me some suggestions on the settings of workers, cores and RAM?
Thanks in advance!
Old 2018-03-20, 05:40   #6
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

5,279 Posts

I used the windows built-in power management utility, one of the control panel nuggets.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-21, 00:59   #7
qqlovekerry

Mar 2018

816 Posts

Thanks very much! I've found the power management in the control panel. The frequency of the CPUs can be tuned by adjust the maximum percentage of the CPU performance.
Image already added
Old 2018-03-21, 01:34   #8
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

2·19·59 Posts

Personally I have never owned a laptop which did not have an overheating problem except for the very latest one that I currently have. If the CPU overheats high enough and long enough, it's semiconductors will degrade/denature and the overheating will occur at lower and lower CPU clock speeds.
The main issue with this is that there is a retarded only 1 mm clearance beneath the laptop for air circulation. I never understood why all the heat generating components are not designed to be housed on the lid/cover. They would occupy the same overall space and the heating could be ventilated much more efficiently. There has actually been deaths resulting from laptops catching fire. You should never leave a laptop unattended and never rest it on soft surfaces such as carpets or sofas.
I personally always leave my laptop with the lid partially open and resting on the lid or on the non ventilating side.

Another thing to consider if you are going to run the laptop 24/7 (I don't think it was designed for that) is that if you can't remove or run it without a battery then charging it continuously will inevitably make it lose chemicals and will make your battery useless in very short time. That is unless you can set the battery charging percentage. One of my laptops had a setting that would prevent the battery from charging more than 50%. A rare but very intelligent feature.
My 2¢ worth.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2018-03-21 at 02:19
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote