Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2013-11-17, 08:31   #1
Richard Cameron

Mar 2005

AA16 Posts
Default whoops!

OK newbie question:

I wanted to stop and restart prime95.
I thoughtlessly hit exit instead of stop.

What have I lost? "Everything" appears to be the answer: I would consult the help file but its not there any more.

cheers
Richard - the oldest newbie crunching
Richard Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 09:18   #2
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cameron View Post
OK newbie question:

I wanted to stop and restart prime95.
I thoughtlessly hit exit instead of stop.

What have I lost? "Everything" appears to be the answer: I would consult the help file but its not there any more.

cheers
Richard - the oldest newbie crunching
You should not really have lost anything. The program tidies up its information before it exits. What you describe is a normal part of P95's existence. If there is a power failure or other catastrophic crash, you would loose the work after the last save file.....EDIT: ....which the program should be storing so that it can perform useful tricks like restarting an assignment from where it left off. These save files also give the program a place to fall back to if it detects an error.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2013-11-17 at 09:21
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 09:29   #3
Richard Cameron

Mar 2005

2·5·17 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks

I've found everything and restarted.
Panic over.

Richard
Richard Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 18:17   #4
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11·157 Posts

Also, as far as I believe, hitting Exit does not make the program quit without saving its progress. I usually hit stop and then exit for extra assurance but I can't imagine Exit being that forceful.

The default checkpoint time is 30 minutes, so at most your are losing 29 minutes of work if there is a catastrophic crash (like unplugging your entire power bar accidentally when trying to remove one particularly committed cell phone charger ) and at the very least, you lose nothing if the save happened just before the failure.

I believe you can change this, but the program does stop running while writing the (many megabyte) files to the hard drive, so don't go too crazy.

The other nifty thing is if your CPU for some reason is destabilizing and is leading to a complete computer crash, the possibly erroneous calculations will likely be forgotten as the computer will crash before the files are saved.

Last fiddled with by TheMawn on 2013-11-17 at 18:18
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote