Old 2012-08-03, 20:34   #67
Richard Cameron

Mar 2005

2×5×17 Posts
Default hair splitting records

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Trivia:

London is the first city to have hosted three "Olympic Games", but not the first to host three official Olympic events.

Innsbruck, Austria, had that honor when it hosted the 2012 Winter Youth Olympic Games earlier this year. (www.innsbruck2012.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Winter_Youth_Olympics)
Even that is not neccesarily true, depending on how you define "Olympic Games".

Athens has held Olympic Games in 1896, 1906 and 2004. (wow three centuries!). The 1906 games weren't numbered and are no longer recognised by the IOC, but they were officially sanctioned at the time.

Richard
Richard Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 20:42   #68
10metreh

Nov 2008

2×33×43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cameron View Post
Even that is not neccesarily true, depending on how you define "Olympic Games".

Athens has held Olympic Games in 1896, 1906 and 2004. (wow three centuries!). The 1906 games weren't numbered and are no longer recognised by the IOC, but they were officially sanctioned at the time.

Richard
Well if you count the original classical Olympic Games, Athens has held the Olympics hundreds of times and in 15 different centuries.

Last fiddled with by 10metreh on 2012-08-03 at 20:43
10metreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 21:52   #69
bcp19

Oct 2011

67910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Best camera work of last night for me was the underwater cam tracking one of the men's 50m freestyle finalists, showing that he swam the entire distance without taking a breath.
50m is not a great distance to hold you breath on. When I used to swim competition, I'd perform the 200M Individual Medley, but I was very bad at Butterfly (couldn't get my head out to breathe without almost stopping), so I would always swim the first length (butterfly) without taking a breath. Since the next length is back stroke, I had plenty of time to get my breath back for the remainder of the swim.
bcp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 22:14   #70
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

5×17×137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
That's usual, all Top guys don't breathe at all, that's 21-22 secs. It's the same as the 100 m in athletics (9-10 secs).
Presumably athletes in both events are putting out the maximum wattage they can sustain for the duration of the race, so the 200m sprint seems the better analogy. Try holding your breath while running that.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 22:22   #71
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

19·433 Posts

Since our motorcycle helmet does not have a "recirculate interior air" function, sometimes when there is a dead skunk by the side of the road we hold our breath for maybe 10 to 15 seconds. At 140 70 miles per hour that is almost a quarter mile.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 22:41   #72
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

5×17×137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Since our motorcycle helmet does not have a "recirculate interior air" function, sometimes when there is a dead skunk by the side of the road we hold our breath for maybe 10 to 15 seconds. At 140 70 miles per hour that is almost a quarter mile.

If you and your propulsion-producer (the choppah) were *both* breath-holding for that length of time and managed to keep moving at high speed, I'd be impressed. (Assuming your bike is gas-powered - no electric-motor cheating is allowed in Olympic Dead Skunk Choppering events).
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 22:56   #73
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×17×97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp19 View Post
50m is not a great distance to hold you breath on. When I used to swim competition, I'd perform the 200M Individual Medley, but I was very bad at Butterfly (couldn't get my head out to breathe without almost stopping), so I would always swim the first length (butterfly) without taking a breath. Since the next length is back stroke, I had plenty of time to get my breath back for the remainder of the swim.
The 200 Meters Butterfly was my speciality. Do you remember Dennis Pankratov (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp2NTFjeXQQ)? My Russian coach was from Volga team, the team of Dennis, Popov, Selkov, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Presumably athletes in both events are putting out the maximum wattage they can sustain for the duration of the race, so the 200m sprint seems the better analogy. Try holding your breath while running that.
I can't comment on a 200 m sprint but on swimming they lose time just by breathing. Usually, mainly on a 100 meters freestyle, they breathe each 4 strokes.

Last fiddled with by pinhodecarlos on 2012-08-03 at 23:03
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 23:45   #74
bcp19

Oct 2011

7·97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
The 200 Meters Butterfly was my speciality. Do you remember Dennis Pankratov (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp2NTFjeXQQ)? My Russian coach was from Volga team, the team of Dennis, Popov, Selkov, etc.

I can't comment on a 200 m sprint but on swimming they lose time just by breathing. Usually, mainly on a 100 meters freestyle, they breathe each 4 strokes.
I was in the Navy for the 96 Olympics, so I missed watching that one. Most of the events I remember were with Mark Spitz during his 7 medal run. The video was very interesting, I never did the underwater dolphin swim, and I swear it looks like he is taking breaths like a freestyler (turning head instead of raising it).

On the 100M freestyle breathing you mention, is each arm considered a stroke or each 'revolution' considered a stroke?
bcp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 04:34   #75
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

160658 Posts

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/tr...-london-080212

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/tr...reality-080212
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 04:51   #76
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

26·32·17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
A quindecathlon that includes:
  1. judo, boxing, or wrestling (decided on the day by random draw)
  2. 3 different gymnastic events (scored as a single event, which 3 decided by random draw)
  3. 800m medley swim
  4. 15km steeplechase biathlon
  5. dressage archery
  6. 40km cycling
  7. a rowing event (type determined on the day by random draw)
  8. 100m
  9. hammer throw
  10. triple jump
  11. high jump
  12. 400m hurdles
  13. javelin
  14. BMX
  15. Farmer's walk
The reasoning behind the increased number and broader range of events (compared to the decathlon) and the selection of certain non traditional events is to crown a true "world's greatest athlete". It also would make an event that would be hard to duplicate outside of the O Games (because of the diversity of types of venues needed, also it would be longer than most 'track and field' meets [likely 5 days or more]). So, this would be a signature event and unique to the O Games.

It neither focuses on the imagined military man that the pentathlon does, nor does it focus on the 'pure traditional' athletics that the decathlon does. The random draw of the combat sport, gymnastics, and rowing prevents specialization ahead of time. The athlete needs to be broadly skilled. The steeplechase biathlon is designed to reflect the winter biathlon and its challenges. There are some strength events, but not a focus on strength. There is a bias toward longer events for endurance. BMX is a very non-traditional sport and brings in direct competition with a field. Rowing also is another sport that is diverse from the traditional -athlon sports.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 12:08   #77
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×17×97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp19 View Post
I was in the Navy for the 96 Olympics, so I missed watching that one. Most of the events I remember were with Mark Spitz during his 7 medal run. The video was very interesting, I never did the underwater dolphin swim, and I swear it looks like he is taking breaths like a freestyler (turning head instead of raising it).

On the 100M freestyle breathing you mention, is each arm considered a stroke or each 'revolution' considered a stroke?
It's was because of Denis Pankratov underwater swim that after the jump the swimmers now have 15 meters limit to emerge (new rule since those Olympics). If you notice when he jumped he went deeper than the others, with full underwater speed he was able, with help of impulse force and slowing increasing inclination to the horizontal (with power increase), to swim faster below water than others above.
Each arm is considered a stroke.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote