mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Riesel Prime Search

Old 2008-07-04, 01:36   #1
Kosmaj

Nov 2003

2×1,811 Posts
Default LLR on G5 Mac

Got access to a dual 1.8GHz G5 Mac running OS-10.3. Can LLR or any other prime search related software run on it? I tried a LLR version from
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/llr371cmac.zip

but it exits with a "bad CPU type" error. I think Bliss sieved on Macs but don't know were they G4/G5 or Intel ones. Will update the OS to 10.5 soon if that's of any importance...
Kosmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 04:10   #2
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×32×353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmaj View Post
Got access to a dual 1.8GHz G5 Mac running OS-10.3. Can LLR or any other prime search related software run on it? I tried a LLR version from
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/llr371cmac.zip

but it exits with a "bad CPU type" error. I think Bliss sieved on Macs but don't know were they G4/G5 or Intel ones. Will update the OS to 10.5 soon if that's of any importance...
llr371cmac.zip is for Intel Macs.

Beyond that, it depends upon what you want to do. Jean has been working on a version of LLR for PPC that can handle k*2^n+/-1. It's slower than the x86 version, but does work (from the testing I have done). For k*b^n+-/1 for b != 2^m for an integer m, then use phrot.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 04:19   #3
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

32·541 Posts

Sheep sieved on server-class PowerPC cores. Geoff's SR series is compiled (or compilable) for PowerPCs, I believe including Macs.

-Curtis
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 12:26   #4
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·32·353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
llr371cmac.zip is for Intel Macs.

Beyond that, it depends upon what you want to do. Jean has been working on a version of LLR for PPC that can handle k*2^n+/-1. It's slower than the x86 version, but does work (from the testing I have done). For k*b^n+-/1 for b != 2^m for an integer m, then use phrot.
I forgot to mention that phrot works on PPC and Intel.
Old 2008-07-04, 13:19   #5
Kosmaj

Nov 2003

2×1,811 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I know there are not many apps running on Mac, so I'll be happy with whatever is availble. phrot sound good, I still have a number of b>2 candidates waiting to be processed. Can you kindly provide a link to the exe file. I visited several related threads but couldn't find it. I found the source code but I cannot try to compile it before later next week.
Kosmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 14:54   #6
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×32×353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmaj View Post
Thanks for all the info. I know there are not many apps running on Mac, so I'll be happy with whatever is availble. phrot sound good, I still have a number of b>2 candidates waiting to be processed. Can you kindly provide a link to the exe file. I visited several related threads but couldn't find it. I found the source code but I cannot try to compile it before later next week.
I have one, but I don't recall if the libraries are dynamicly or staticly linked. PM me your e-mail and I will send a G5 version it to you.