Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2021-05-12, 18:17   #1
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

642210 Posts
Default Keeping Win10 laptop running flat-out

I have disabled 'turn off screen' and 'sleep' in the performance control panel, which seemed the only thing I could disable.

Nonetheless my laptop iteration times go up by about a factor two after I've been away from the keyboard for ten minutes

Is there a way actually to turn off power reduction and run the processor as fast as the fan can cool it whenever the laptop is plugged in?

Is there a way to turn off the screen, so I don't have a large white lamp in the corner of the room I sleep in, while keeping the processor running flat-out?
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-12, 18:40   #2
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

635410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
I have disabled 'turn off screen' and 'sleep' in the performance control panel, which seemed the only thing I could disable.

Nonetheless my laptop iteration times go up by about a factor two after I've been away from the keyboard for ten minutes

Is there a way actually to turn off power reduction and run the processor as fast as the fan can cool it whenever the laptop is plugged in?

Is there a way to turn off the screen, so I don't have a large white lamp in the corner of the room I sleep in, while keeping the processor running flat-out?
You should be able to prevent the drive from going to sleep when you are away. My laptop is only configured to go to sleep when the lid is closed. The screen goes blank after 10 minutes of inactivity. The only downside is the fan so it is in another room.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-12, 19:07   #3
Viliam Furik

"Viliam Furík"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

26416 Posts

My recommendations are to set the power plan of the computer in windows settings. See this link. It should contain all you need.

As for the light, I attached 1920 by 1080 picture of pure and distilled darkness, i.e. 2073600 black pixels. Just open it with the Windows default picture viewer, set it to fullscreen, and sing "Hello darkness my old friend...". However, the fan will not fit the "sound of silence".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black.png
Views:	28
Size:	397 Bytes
ID:	24878  
Viliam Furik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-12, 19:32   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

72×127 Posts

I remember Windows has various display settings. Like turning off after X minutes. Under the power settings somewhere IIRC.

And other settings to tell it what to do when the lid is closed. Like take no action when closed instead of standby.

And other things like a "dark" key chord (fn+end or similar) to immediately turn off the display when you press it.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-12, 20:00   #5
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

2·1,579 Posts

Quote:
Yes, it is called ThrottleStop:
https://www.techpowerup.com/download...-throttlestop/

But be careful at first and test what multiplier you can use without overheating it.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-12, 20:08   #6
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

61268 Posts

Quote:
You should be able to have "Turn off display" on 10 minutes or whatever without loosing performance, especially if you are running ThrottleStop.

But you can always use the "corny" old school way and display a big all black image in like mspaint and then hit F11 for full screen. It is not as black as turning the monitor off, but it is pretty dark.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-31, 16:12   #7
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

32×47 Posts

I would have thought that doing GIMPS on a laptop is asking to destroy your laptop. The heat will certainly have an adverse effect on the battery life. The fact the fan runs at full speed might not do such a small fan any good - I don't claim to know about fans

Dave
drkirkby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-31, 16:24   #8
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

23·67 Posts

A laptop I got maybe around 2012 was happily crunching until 2015, when the fan died. It was replaced under warranty. Since then, it ran for a lot longer time than before 2015 (but still not 24/7) and the fan is not making any problems at all.

Regarding the battery, I usually charge it to about 50-70 % and then remove it until the next time I need to use my laptop somewhere else, while the it is running on wall power.
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-31, 16:44   #9
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

1101001112 Posts

Okay. Most modern laptops can’t have the battery removed easily.
Electrolytic capacitors have a lifetime which is very temperature dependant. IMHO, a desktop computer is more suitable for CPU intensive tasks.
drkirkby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-31, 16:47   #10
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

124508 Posts

I have multiple laptops running GIMPS apps 24/7. The newer ones whose batteries still function are completely unruffled by the occasional short power outage. It is necessary on both laptops and other gear to revise the Windows power settings to avoid a large performance drop or hibernation during periods of no keyboard or mouse activity. SOP, all systems. A visit to the BIOS settings could also be useful. (Miners turn off bits of the hardware that won't be used, for greater power efficiency.)
Batteries vary in response to being able to charge at any time.

I have a Dell laptop,~1.5 years old, still under extended warranty, whose fan howls sometimes and keyboard became bad in about a year. That may be because it has an internal GPU that helps heat the keyboard, and I run mfaktc or gpuowl on it 24/7 along with prime95 on the cpu.
Another Dell had its cpu fan fail entirely in the first year. The HD went after warranty expired. No separate GPU in that one.
For the newer lighter weight laptops, in most cases, battery removal is a service technician type task requiring special tools, which I have acquired.

A ten year old HP laptop is still on its first battery and has lost ~20% of capacity, and its keyboard is still one of the best reliability and feel in the building, despite the letters and position bumps wearing off somewhat from high and long-term use. It has insufficient cooling design, so has prime95 throttle set, and needs the dust blown out again. The battery is very easily removable on that one, but generally unnecessary to remove.
My oldest slowest laptops only run on small tasks, when space heating is a side benefit.

Laptops can be power-efficient and cost-efficient ways of doing GIMPS computations. And the builtin UPS (battery) is handy.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-05-31 at 17:01
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-31, 16:47   #11
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

23×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkirkby View Post
Okay. Most modern laptops can’t have the battery removed easily.
Electrolytic capacitors have a lifetime which is very temperature dependant. IMHO, a desktop computer is more suitable for CPU intensive tasks.
People use the hardware they have access to. It's pointless and counterproductive to tell people they should have better hardware than they do.

There are a lot of laptops running GIMPS software.

Last fiddled with by slandrum on 2021-05-31 at 16:48
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote