Go Back > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Thread Tools
Old 2020-09-12, 16:39   #1
Random Account
storm5510's Avatar
Aug 2009

195610 Posts
Default Upgrade under consideration.

I am seriously considering upgrading my GPU to a RTX 2080. If this happens, then my GTX 1080 would go back into its box. I might be willing to part with the 1080 if I could get a little bit out of it. It's never been overclocked and I never allowed it's temperature to exceed 75°C.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 17:10   #2
moebius's Avatar
Jul 2009

607 Posts

Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I am seriously considering upgrading my GPU to a RTX 2080.
Look at the values ​​for a 2080 Ti, even those aren't great, only slightly faster than a Ryzen 7 3700x processor in LL DC.
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 18:05   #3
firejuggler's Avatar
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2·1,303 Posts

Nvidia might produce a 26xx series (like the 1660 ti) in a few months. So maybe wait a bit?
firejuggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 23:40   #4
Random Account
storm5510's Avatar
Aug 2009

22×3×163 Posts

I just ordered this from a seller on eBay, so there was not much time for waiting. I grilled the seller about the authenticity. He assures me it is the genuine item and sent GPU-Z screenshots. He's based in Connecticut and has a 100% approval rating. I look at these things closely before I step into something like this. So, I'm not too much worried.

I had considered building an entirely new rig around a 12-core Ryzen 9 CPU. However, I run GPU programs over 90% of the time. This made less and less sense as I thought about it. I would have still been using the 1080. The majority of the work I run is P-1. With the size of the exponents ever increasing, it was time for an update.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-13, 16:37   #5
kracker's Avatar
"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

1000011110002 Posts

I would suggest waiting for Ampere or even RDNA2 to drop - even if you don't get those cards I suspect the second-hand older gen cards will drop in price.
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPU upgrade chris2be8 GPU Computing 8 2015-11-14 17:05
Everything will be down for server upgrade Joe O Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 2 2010-12-05 15:14
How would you upgrade this? jasong Factoring 5 2005-09-09 19:26
ga-7dx upgrade crash893 Hardware 4 2002-09-26 06:27
Upgrade and XP now crashes!!!! johnymccarthy Software 13 2002-09-26 05:08

All times are UTC. The time now is 17:10.

Sun Aug 1 17:10:11 UTC 2021 up 9 days, 11:39, 0 users, load averages: 1.19, 1.13, 1.20

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.