mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Closed Thread

Old 2020-03-23, 19:47   #45
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Thanks for your offer of help EDIT: And there is work loaded
I have always been more than willing to help. And I see that 1,000 WUs are now loaded (with 17 in progress).

Perhaps it was a language barrier issue, but the PM exchanges (often CC'ed with you) were very frustrating. He never seemed to parse my answers, but instead simply asked the same questions again (and again, and again...).

Three quick points:

1. Rather than running from 72 to 73, why not simply run straight up to 77 bits?

2. With regards to credit, GIMPS uses GHzD done, and GHzD saved (when a factor is found). Does this map in any way to BOINC?

3. If Reb created an account at GPU72 (as I suggested ***multiple*** times), he could reserve work to then hand out to his clients. This would eliminate the need for GPU72 un-reserving candidates only for Reb to then reserve (with the risk of a LL'er being assigned the candidate during that window).

Very, very cool to see this progress!
Old 2020-03-23, 19:53   #46
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

25·3·52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I have always been more than willing to help. And I see that 1,000 WUs are now loaded (with 17 in progress).

Perhaps it was a language barrier issue, but the PM exchanges (often CC'ed with you) were very frustrating. He never seemed to parse my answers, but instead simply asked the same questions again (and again, and again...).

Three quick points:

1. Rather than running from 72 to 73, why not simply run straight up to 77 bits?

2. With regards to credit, GIMPS uses GHzD done, and GHzD saved (when a factor is found). Does this map in any way to BOINC?

3. If Reb created an account at GPU72 (as I suggested ***multiple*** times), he could reserve work to then hand out to his clients. This would eliminate the need for GPU72 un-reserving candidates only for Reb to then reserve (with the risk of a LL'er being assigned the candidate during that window).

-yes we can do that later.

-there are fixed credits for an amount of time. If a factor was found, the credits are the same so a bonus.

-created an account at mersenne.org named SRBase
Old 2020-03-23, 20:02   #47
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirther View Post
-created an account at mersenne.org named SRBase
***Please*** create an account at GPU72.

There's a reason I've asked you to do this. Multiple times.
Old 2020-03-23, 20:04   #48
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

7×131 Posts

Quote:

Three quick points:

It most likely were a language barrier and maybe I should have intervened and maybe I should have been the middle man. English is not the majority of peoples first language. Reb is german and in germany they are not as exposed to the english language as we are in Denmark, not because they don't watch foreign movies, but because the movies are dubbed in german I must also appologize, I was a too hard on you the other day, you frankly did not deserve that harsh a reply. Sorry

In regards to 1, I suggested that to Reb. It is possible to do, but the problem really comes when a user finds a factor, then the user will get a lot of free credit. It is (at least to my knowledge) not possible to make a creditsolution in BOINC that takes into account if a workunit is complete after just 50% or less, because a factor is found. It may though end up being such, that we go from 72 to 77 bit, once we get a feeling of the speed we can accumulate. That decision is ultimately Rebs, however we can try to affect his stand

In regards to 2, I don't really think it does. There is a fixed credit for the workunit, wether it saves 1 or 2 tests. The credit is also the same for a full aswell a partial run. Did I understand your question right?

In regards to 3, that sounds doable, as long as everyone is saved the trouble Does he has to report the work at GPU72 or is it okay to just report at mersenne.org?

It appears we have already 11 results complete and maybe as much as 60 users running GPU72
Old 2020-03-23, 20:17   #49
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,519 Posts

Quote:
I must also appologize, I was a too hard on you the other day, you frankly did not deserve that harsh a reply. Sorry
Thank you for that. We're cool.

To share, I have a lot of trouble even speaking English to other humans, but it's the only human language I know...

Quote:
In regards to 3, that sounds doable, as long as everyone is saved the trouble Does he has to report the work at GPU72 or is it okay to just report at mersenne.org?
Just report the results back to Primenet. GPU72 will "observe" the submissions, and update the "situational awareness".

Despite the initial tensions, this is ***really*** cool to see!!!
Old 2020-03-23, 20:21   #50
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

7×131 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for that. We're cool.

To share, I have a lot of trouble even speaking English to other humans, but it's the only human language I know...

Just report the results back to Primenet. GPU72 will "observe" the submissions, and update the "situational awareness".

Phew glad to hear that

Just a question from Reb, is reservationmethod the same at GPU72 as on this page: https://www.mersenne.org/manual_gpu_assignment/ ?
Old 2020-03-23, 20:26   #51
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,519 Posts

Quote:
Just a question from Reb, is reservationmethod the same at GPU72 as on this page: https://www.mersenne.org/manual_gpu_assignment/ ?
Very similar. It's just code; both George and I can adapt to whatever's needed.

Quick question back: is Reb running Windows or Linux for his back-end? Please see this link for historical IPC work done. Further customization is always an option.
Old 2020-03-23, 20:30   #52
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

203B16 Posts

Quote:
Thus the ellipses in the thread title.
Old 2020-03-23, 20:38   #53
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

39516 Posts

Quote:
Very similar. It's just code; both George and I can adapt to whatever's needed.

Quick question back: is Reb running Windows or Linux for his back-end? Please see this link for historical IPC work done. Further customization is always an option.
My memory makes me believe it very well could be a virtual machine running Linux. I don't know BOINC enough to see if that is usefull on the backend. It sure does look interesting though.
Old 2020-03-23, 20:50   #54
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

234E16 Posts

Quote:
***Please*** create an account at GPU72.
Excellent.

I see your account creation, and I have raised your "trust" level. You can now reserve up to 1,000 assignments at a time through the assignment form.
Old 2020-03-23, 20:54   #55
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

7·131 Posts

Quote:
Excellent.

I see your account creation, and I have raised your "trust" level. You can now reserve up to 1,000 assignments at a time through the assignment form.
Great
Closed Thread