mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Closed Thread

Old 2020-03-18, 21:18   #12
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

7×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirther View Post
Its a slow progress. The setup for win64 AMD / Nvidia apps are done. Linux and Mac will follow. I hope I can start testing on weekend after I have all server daemons and work scripts up.
No worries, if succesful, this will in no doubt be worth the wait and then Ben Delo can't catch up on the trial factoring ... that might change in the future, when people starts to reach those batches they hunt for. I will still for testing purpose, suggest that you follow the small test from n>250M. Once they are complete and BOINC goes from testing to productivity mode, then go to GPU72 or reserve at mersenne.org the lowest possible candidates to factor Still very nice work. Stay safe!
Old 2020-03-18, 21:49   #13
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,519 Posts

Quote:
I hope I can start testing on weekend after I have all server daemons and work scripts up.
Yes... Testing would be a /really/ good idea, as I've said to you both privately many times.

There is a /tonne/ of details still to work out. Such as, how does the work get credited to the GPU72 / Primenet users? How does your system and GPU72 / Primenet communicate?

Frankly, I'm a little annoyed this has been announced so prematurely.
Old 2020-03-19, 15:50   #14
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

25×3×52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Yes... Testing would be a /really/ good idea, as I've said to you both privately many times.

There is a /tonne/ of details still to work out. Such as, how does the work get credited to the GPU72 / Primenet users? How does your system and GPU72 / Primenet communicate?

Frankly, I'm a little annoyed this has been announced so prematurely.

I will create only one account for SRBase to report all the stuff there. Manual reservation and reporting.
Old 2020-03-19, 16:02   #15
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,519 Posts

Quote:
I will create only one account for SRBase to report all the stuff there. Manual reservation and reporting.
And how, exactly, is a Primenet / GPU72 user going to be getting the credit for the work done via their BOINC clients? Have you established an interface with the Primenet API? It's non-trivial work.

Could a supermod please move these BOINC messages into a separate thread under the "GPU to 72" subforum? Based on past interactions, there's going to be a great deal of noise which I don't want polluting the main status thread.
Old 2020-03-19, 16:19   #16
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

825010 Posts

Quote:
Could a supermod please move these BOINC messages into a separate thread under the "GPU to 72" subforum? Based on past interactions, there's going to be a great deal of noise which I don't want polluting the main status thread.
I also grabbed a couple from late 2019. I left those from much earlier.
Old 2020-03-19, 16:22   #17
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I also grabbed a couple from late 2019. I left those from much earlier.
Thank you.

I think a BOINC solution space would be a /really/ good idea. But there's a lot of details to work out, many of which haven't even been discussed yet.
Old 2020-03-19, 16:41   #18
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

25·3·52 Posts

Quote:
And how, exactly, is a Primenet / GPU72 user going to be getting the credit for the work done via their BOINC clients? Have you established an interface with the Primenet API? It's non-trivial work.

I have no Primenet interface and its not planned. All the credits should go to SRBase under one account, easier to manage. If you have a Primenet account do your own work.
Old 2020-03-19, 21:20   #19
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

234E16 Posts

Quote:
I have no Primenet interface and its not planned. All the credits should go to SRBase under one account, easier to manage. If you have a Primenet account do your own work.
This is antithetical to the GPU72 position that all work is credited to the individual user, both on GPU72 and Primenet.

Please remove the reference to GPU72 at srbase.my-firewall.org, since GPU72 clearly will not be involved.
Old 2020-03-20, 12:11   #20
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

7·131 Posts

Quote:
This is antithetical to the GPU72 position that all work is credited to the individual user, both on GPU72 and Primenet.

Please remove the reference to GPU72 at srbase.my-firewall.org, since GPU72 clearly will not be involved.
I sure hope that someone someday will teach you to control your inner R. D. Silverman. Just because of your lack of willingness to understand how BOINC works, you have wasted a lot of Rebirthers time, for no sense at all.

What you ask for Rebirther to do, requires not only a ton of work for Rebirther, it simply does not make sense in a BOINC way at all. Sorry that I suggested this initially, I just really thought that the "hate" and disregard towards BOINC like we have seen it in many projects that had almost come to a standstill - like sr5.

There comes a time where a clever solution like GPU72 is just no longer enough and at that time, no matter what used to be the culture or the ethics of a project, those ethics and morals has to align them self for what is being offered.

Time is not really there anymore, where GPU72 can call out guidance lines towards BOINC, BOINC could have been a major contribution towards the wavefront and GIMPs in general. It will no longer be, because of a lack of respect for other users time and work.

I feel sorry that Rebirther has wasted this load of time and that the progress he made is no longer going to be used to ALL users benefit

For the future, please stop your complaining about lack of ressources in public, since you obviously doesn't desire the much needed offer for help you actually gets.

Take care and stay safe.

Last fiddled with by KEP on 2020-03-20 at 12:19
Old 2020-03-20, 13:37   #21
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
I feel sorry that Rebirther has wasted this load of time and that the progress he made is no longer going to be used to ALL users benefit.
I feel it is /my/ time that has been wasted, answering the same questions over and over again via PM. Never did he tell me "I can't do what you envision" when I repeatedly asked about IPC between the systems.

His time isn't wasted, if he wants to continue. He can get blocks of assignments for BOINC clients to work directly from Primenet, just like GPU72 does. And I hope he does.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2020-03-20 at 13:37
Old 2020-03-20, 15:57   #22
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

692010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
I feel sorry that Rebirther has wasted this load of time and that the progress he made is no longer going to be used to ALL users benefit
It is not hard for me to modify the get GPU TF assignments web page to accomodate a BOINC server. From PrimeNet's perspective it is much easier with all BOINC results reported as one user.
Closed Thread