mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2004-04-24, 13:50   #1
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

756010 Posts
Exclamation Google Ads...

This is just a request for comments... Please read all of this before you post!

In the past I have stated multiple times that we would never put ads on the forum pages... However, we have been presented with an opportunity to put Google ads here... Apparently they are targeted to the topic of the page and the geographical location of the viewer... From what I have seen, they pay out pretty well too...

I was thinking this would be a good way to pay for the server the forums are hosted on, and to provide extra money to the project for stuff like hardware if George needs it, or whatever we need... It wouldn't be to get rich, that's for certain!

If we put the ads up, they would be in an identical color scheme to what we have now, and they would appear at the *bottom* of each page, not the top or the side... There would be no pop up ads, interstitials, flash animations or anything weird... Just basic ads...

I need to know your thoughts about this... On one hand I like it here without ads... It is one of the few places I visit on the Internet that is ad free... On the other hand, we have the potential to generate maybe $100 a month in revenue here... Are we missing out on an obvious opportunity?

Please chime in with your thoughts... If you don't want to post your opinion, please email me...

Here are some links that describe how everything works:

https://www.google.com/adsense/
https://www.google.com/adsense/faq

If it is decided that we should do this, I would fully disclose the budget and other financial data periodically...

To be honest, keeping with the system we have now is, for me, the easiest approach... However, I'd hate to think that we are missing out on a way to generate revenue that is pretty painless and not intrusive... That said, the cost of running this forum is really not a problem, because it is shared with other sites that I run... Also, George has never put ads on the main mersenne.org pages or the PrimeNet pages, so that is something to consider, too...

In the end, it is up to you all, the forum members... I didn't make this a poll on purpose... I need reasons and opinions, not just blind votes...

Please help by posting your thoughts...

Thanks!

Mike (Xyzzy)
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 14:40   #2
dsouza123

Sep 2002

2·331 Posts

Text ads don't bother me, just blinking/flashing images and popups/new browser windows.
dsouza123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 14:42   #3
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2·33·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouza123
Text ads don't bother me, just blinking/flashing images and popups/new browser windows.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
PrimeCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 15:54   #4
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

3·5·317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeCruncher
You took the words right out of my mouth.
agree
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 20:46   #5
Prime Monster

Aug 2002

4048 Posts

Agree
Prime Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 03:04   #6
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

2×32×131 Posts

I assume we are talking about ads similar to the targetted ads that show on Google search pages. I think these are great - they are unobtrusive most of the time and they are a great convenience occasionally. I have my doubts about the success of finding things that will sell here, and it doesn't sound like very much money even if successful. But some spare change for some unobtrusive ads sounds like a good tradeoff to me.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 06:48   #7
Maybeso

Aug 2002
Portland, OR USA

2·137 Posts

S'okay.

Mike, you could put an "Enable/disable Gooogle ads" option in our profiles! Yea, that shouldn't be tooo hard to implement and support, right? And Gooogle would still pay out the same amount, they're an understanding org, right? lol.
Maybeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 07:20   #8
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp
I assume we are talking about ads similar to the targetted ads that show on Google search pages. I think these are great - they are unobtrusive most of the time and they are a great convenience occasionally. I have my doubts about the success of finding things that will sell here, and it doesn't sound like very much money even if successful. But some spare change for some unobtrusive ads sounds like a good tradeoff to me.
I agree with this. If they are roughly the same level of unobtrusiveness as those on Google search pages then I am for it.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 09:22   #9
koekie

Dec 2002
Amsterdam, Netherlands

22×19 Posts

Just the simple text-adds are no problem for me also
koekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 15:24   #10
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

23×33×5×7 Posts

Maybe we'll do a test run sometime next week to make sure they don't interfere too much...

Please continue to post comments and suggestions... Thanks for the help thus far...
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 15:40   #11
asdf

Sep 2002

22×3×5 Posts

Text ads are awesome.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote