mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2011-05-19, 14:12   #1
dmoran

Jan 2009

3 Posts
Default Went from 8 workers to 4 workers on v26.6 upgrade

I upgraded a Windows 7 x64 system with Intel 2600K CPU(4 CPU w hyperthreading). It had been running 8 workers. After the upgrade to v26.6, from v25.11, it is only running 4 workers, each with 2 CPUs. It complains of "too many sections in worktodo.txt", which I assume is for the worker 5-8 sections. Is there any way to recover the orphaned worker 5-8 work-in-progress?
dmoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 17:56   #2
patrik

"Patrik Johansson"
Aug 2002
Uppsala, Sweden

1101010002 Posts

You can stop and exit Prime95, then edit worktodo.txt: Move the lines under [Worker #5]--[Worker #8] to [Worker #1]--[Worker #4]. Also delete the headers [Worker #5] to [Worker #8] if you don't want to see the error message about too many worker windows. Save worktodo.txt. Then start the client again. The work from old 5-8 will be started (from where you left off) when the current work from 1-4 finishes. (If it is scheduled to finish in more than 30 days you might want to insert the line UnreserveDays=90 or something like that into prime.txt before you restart, to prevent it from being unreserved.)

Or you could change under Test->Worker windows to 8 workers again, but that might be less efficient than running only four.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 19:14   #3
Freightyard

Nov 2008
San Luis Obispo CA

27 Posts

I experienced the same issue using ntprime64 on a dual quad-core Xeon (not hyper-threaded). I ran Prime95 and changed from 4 to 8 workers, then restarted the ntprime service. All is well now.

I believe the equivalent action is to stop ntprime (or prime95) and add "WorkerThreads=8" into the local.txt file.

Last fiddled with by Freightyard on 2011-05-19 at 19:16
Freightyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 19:59   #4
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

43×67 Posts

If you have a non-trivial worktodo.txt file (more than a few lines), you can use the tool here to re-balance the work between a different number of workers, and/or make sure that each worker has a roughly equal amount of work (which is less easy to tell at a glanced with mixed assignment types):
http://mersenne-aries.sili.net/balance.php
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 20:15   #5
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
If you have a non-trivial worktodo.txt file (more than a few lines), you can use the tool here to re-balance the work between a different number of workers, and/or make sure that each worker has a roughly equal amount of work (which is less easy to tell at a glanced with mixed assignment types):
http://mersenne-aries.sili.net/balance.php
I keep forgetting about those great tools, and there are more now than I recall.

I suggest a sticky thread somewhere that lists Mersenne-aries tools and a link to wherever they're discussed in a forum.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2011-05-22 at 20:16
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 21:00   #6
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

43×67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
link to wherever they're discussed in a forum.
As far as documentation goes, the most complete is the article in the wiki:
http://www.mersennewiki.org/index.ph...aries.sili.net
You can start a discussion thread if you want, I'm always happy to hear suggestions for new tools, or ways to improve the existing ones.
Old 2011-05-22, 22:28   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

23·52·41 Posts

Quote:
you can use the tool here to re-balance the work between a different number of workershttp://mersenne-aries.sili.net/balance.php
Feature request, make a "smallest first" type option. As I get new self-assigned exponents, many of them are smaller than those that are in the current queue. If I could grab them, get a assignment key, and then have your app set them so that the smallest are run first and spread across the workers, that would be cool.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 22:41   #8
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

43·67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Feature request, make a "smallest first" type option.
... smallest are run first and spread across the workers
Maybe I don't understand your question, but if you set:
Distribute work as: Evenly across all workers
Within each worker, sort work as: Easiest assignments first

won't that give the result you're looking for? If not, please describe how it should distribute it differently?
Old 2011-05-23, 02:19   #9
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

200108 Posts

Quote:
Maybe I don't understand your question, but if you set:
Distribute work as: Evenly across all workers
Within each worker, sort work as: Easiest assignments first

won't that give the result you're looking for? If not, please describe how it should distribute it differently?
That didn't work. What I am looking at is the lowest exponent first (this is assuming all TF's). I want the smallest exponent first, not the fastest test. The faster test is the higher exponent within the same bit depth, which is backward from smallest expo first. If there is a test from 71 to 74, and the exponent is the smallest, it should sort before a larger exponent that is only from 73 to 74.

This would also be useful for those that want to work clean up assignments (helping out the milestones).

Another neat help (not for me) would sort by assignment type first and then by something else.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 02:43   #10
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

43·67 Posts

Quote:
I want the smallest exponent first, not the fastest test.
The easy (if less elegant) solution for that is I've put a selection to define "easy" -- default is "fastest test", but if you switch to "smallest exponent" then you should get the result you seek.

Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to make the code more extensible for more sorting options (originally I hadn't planned any sorting options, it just kind of grew). The idea to sort by assignment type first doesn't flow nicely in the code right now, so I'll hold off on that until either someone else seconds the request or I feel up for a small challenge.
Old 2011-05-23, 04:47   #11
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts

Quote:
Feature request, make a "smallest first" type option. As I get new self-assigned exponents, many of them are smaller than those that are in the current queue. If I could grab them, get a assignment key, and then have your app set them so that the smallest are run first and spread across the workers, that would be cool.
Did you try "hardest assignments first"? That wouldn't necessarily put smallest TF exponents first (because bit levels matter, too), but might it come close enough?

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2011-05-23 at 04:51
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote