mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-05, 13:42   #1
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

23·52·29 Posts
Default Perpetual I'm pi**ed off thread

I'm in a bad mood today after reading the paper. I'm so pi**ed off over so many things that I cannot contain myself. I am sure to be a frequent contributor. I'll start the thread with this article on Ted Stevens and his conviction that was just thrown out this week. I'm hazarding a wild guess that the Justice Department deliberately withheld evidence knowing the conviction would get thrown out because of it. I'm also hazarding a guess that the former administration was involved. Call me cynic, but this one reeks of impropriety from above.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 17:23   #2
garo
 
garo's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

1010110000012 Posts
Angry

Yup! Pissed me off too when I read about it Friday. And then you have idiotic articles like this one: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123879993742688425.html
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 17:57   #3
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2·5·691 Posts
Default

I'm PO'ed about new Freddie Mac bonuses: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090403/...giants_bonuses

I'd say "Go ahead and quit. Good luck finding a new job!". These screwups got nice bonuses when things were going well under the theory of "Our great ideas are causing these fat profits" and now they think they deserve bonuses because "We need an incentive to stay here in these tough times". Classic "heads I win, tails you lose" logic.

On second thought, if an employee came to me and said they wanted a raise/bonus or they'll quit, I'd say: "Go ahead and quit. Good luck finding a new job!" and if they don't quit then I'd fire their disloyal asses.

Last fiddled with by Prime95 on 2009-04-05 at 17:58
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 18:24   #4
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

23×52×29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
On second thought, if an employee came to me and said they wanted a raise/bonus or they'll quit, I'd say: "Go ahead and quit. Good luck finding a new job!" and if they don't quit then I'd fire their disloyal asses.
Or as a some like to say, "Don't let the door hit in the ass on the way out."

One of my other items raising my ire today was the killings in Pittsburgh. The offender, who unfortunately did not kill himself or get killed, clearly has been following Rush Limbaugh and the NRA for a little too long. I've tried to debate some NRA members in the past about their idea that the government (or specifically the president) will revoke the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution which will immediately result in the feds pounding on their doors to take their guns away. I've had threats of physical violence made against me because I've tried to explain that no individual branch of government (or the branches in unison) can revoke a Constitutional amendment. It requires 2/3's of the states as well. Anyways, if they search this guy's house and find some of this NRA propaganda, I hope that the families of the slain sues the dickens out of the NRA and win. I have the fortune that my best friend was once a member of the NRA and that my pointing out of simple facts to combat their fallacies has convinced him that they are fear-mongeringers. He still owns guns and uses them (at shooting ranges as he is not a hunter), but disavows their crap.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 02:49   #5
AES
 
Jul 2007
Tennessee

25×19 Posts
Default

Do you honestly believe that a windbag and an association that's over 130 years old drove that young man to murder the LEOs?
AES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 12:34   #6
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

23×52×29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES View Post
Do you honestly believe that a windbag and an association that's over 130 years old drove that young man to murder the LEOs?
I don't know. If you have ever heard any of the die-hard NRA members speak, you will see that they are terrified that the second amendment will be repealed. I already mentioned that I have been threatened with physical violence by such people just because I disagree with their assessment. Maybe the people I've run into are at the fringe, but they seem more the norm for the group than the exception. If anyone disagrees (not violently of course) with me on this, I would like to have an idea regarding the percentage of NRA members who are not as radical as the ones I've experienced.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 18:17   #7
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

3×53×71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
On second thought, if an employee came to me and said they wanted a raise/bonus or they'll quit, I'd say: "Go ahead and quit. Good luck finding a new job!" and if they don't quit then I'd fire their disloyal asses.
I'd take it one step further and fire the disloyal rest of them, as well.

Oh wait, forgot that attempts at humor - however feeble - are likely not apropos in an I'm-POed-at-the-and-I-m-not-gonna-take-it-anymore thread. So, getting into the spirit of things: What is up with sending the North Koreans more aid every time they threaten to burn the Korean peninsula and sell WMDs to rogue states? I say, sic the NRA on 'em, goldurnit!
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 20:42   #8
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

132508 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I'd take it one step further and fire the disloyal rest of them, as well.

Oh wait, forgot that attempts at humor - however feeble - are likely not apropos in an I'm-POed-at-the-and-I-m-not-gonna-take-it-anymore thread. So, getting into the spirit of things: What is up with sending the North Koreans more aid every time they threaten to burn the Korean peninsula and sell WMDs to rogue states? I say, sic the NRA on 'em, goldurnit!


Then I had better start running...
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 20:49   #9
cheesehead
 
cheesehead's Avatar
 
"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
What is up with sending the North Koreans more aid every time they threaten to burn the Korean peninsula and sell WMDs to rogue states? I say, sic the NRA on 'em, goldurnit!
Reminds me of a comment from a young right-winger in another forum in December 2000. Jubilant about the election of Bush, he predicted something like: "Yeehah! Here we go bombing North Korea!"

He was only about a quarter-hemisphere off.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2009-04-07 at 20:51
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 12:38   #10
__HRB__
 
__HRB__'s Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Boycotting the Soapbox

24×32×5 Posts
Default Pi sucks donkey ass

I'm p'p'd off about the definition of Pi. It should be defined as the circumference/radius, not circumference/diameter, since most important formulas involving Pi have the factor 2 in front of it. The period of sine/cosine sould be Pi, unit roots should be fractions of Pi, h-bar should be h/Pi, ...

It would also mean that the area of a circle would be 1/2*pi*r^2 so the 1/2 tells us that we've integrated something to get the r^2, and it would look more like 1/2*m*v^2, 1/2*a*t^2, etc.
__HRB__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 07:11   #11
CADavis
 
CADavis's Avatar
 
Jul 2005
Des Moines, Iowa, USA

101010102 Posts
Default

yeah... my brother is taking geometry right now and asked me the formula for surface area of a cylinder.. I was like ummm isn't it circumfrence times height, and add the area of the top and bottom circles? Then he said "circumference is pi times diameter right?" and I said "well it's 2pi*r so yeah.."
CADavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perpetual benchmark thread... Xyzzy Hardware 813 2020-05-07 17:00
Perpetual "interesting video" thread... Xyzzy Lounge 9 2006-12-24 20:06
Perpetual autostereogram thread... Xyzzy Lounge 10 2006-09-28 00:36
Perpetual ECM factoring challenge thread... Xyzzy Factoring 65 2005-09-05 08:16
Deutscher Thread (german thread) TauCeti NFSNET Discussion 0 2003-12-11 22:12

All times are UTC. The time now is 02:56.

Thu Jul 9 02:56:49 UTC 2020 up 106 days, 29 mins, 0 users, load averages: 0.99, 1.44, 1.62

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.