mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-09-12, 04:55   #1
factorer
 
Sep 2018

210 Posts
Default PFGW for Windows 98

I have a desktop computer that runs Windows 98, and I would like to run PFGW on it. The latest version on SourceForge is 3.8.3, and it won't run - it suggests I update my version of Windows (as if that was an option).


I could not find previous versions of PFGW anywhere - all roads seem to lead to SourceForge, which has only the latest version.


There is an old version of PFGW already on the machine (Version 1.1), but it doesn't support the Linear() command in the ABC2 input file. The numbers I am trying to factor are the Pell numbers, which I input as Linear(0,1,2,5,$a).


Thank you!
factorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 12:28   #2
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

23·5·173 Posts
Default

Did you try the command line version?

Assuming you did or that fails too, your best bet is to install Linux alongside Windows and run the latest PFGW.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 13:06   #3
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

10110101101112 Posts
Default

As the maintainer of pfgw, I have no intention of providing a build that runs on such an ancient OS. For years I have only supported 64-bit releases of the software.

As George states, install Linux and run it on that. If the CPU is ancient, it is probably not even worth your time to run pfgw on it.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 04:02   #4
factorer
 
Sep 2018

2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
As the maintainer of pfgw, I have no intention of providing a build that runs on such an ancient OS. For years I have only supported 64-bit releases of the software.
I didn't expect you to do anything like that - I'm sorry if my post implied otherwise. Thank you for suggesting a possible solution.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Did you try the command line version?

Assuming you did or that fails too, your best bet is to install Linux alongside Windows and run the latest PFGW.


The command line version didn't work either. Probably because pfgw is a 64-bit program and my system is 32-bit. Wouldn't that also be a problem if I installed Linux?


Thank you both for your help!
factorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 05:03   #5
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

23×5×173 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorer View Post
Probably because pfgw is a 64-bit program and my system is 32-bit. Wouldn't that also be a problem if I installed Linux?\
Yes it would.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 13:42   #6
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

581510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Yes it would.
I don't recall if the Linux distribution on sourceforge includes a 32-bit executable. If you are familiar with writing and building software, you can build a 32-bit executable for Linux. It would require the installation of some 3rd party libraries and a change to the makefile.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 16:26   #7
GP2
 
GP2's Avatar
 
Sep 2003

2,579 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I don't recall if the Linux distribution on sourceforge includes a 32-bit executable. If you are familiar with writing and building software, you can build a 32-bit executable for Linux. It would require the installation of some 3rd party libraries and a change to the makefile.
There is a distribution of Linux for old 32-bit machines called Elive. It just received a major update in the past week: Elive 3.0

https://www.elivecd.org/download/stable/

But of course you have to ask yourself, after all the trouble of getting the program running, how well would it perform on an old machine?
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 13:43   #8
GP2
 
GP2's Avatar
 
Sep 2003

50238 Posts
Default

From another thread, apparently someone has a 32-bit PFGW (version 3.7.7) for all platforms including Windows:

https://mersenneforum.org/showthread...&postcount=317
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 13:53   #9
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

129316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
From another thread, apparently someone has a 32-bit PFGW (version 3.7.7) for all platforms including Windows:

https://mersenneforum.org/showthread...&postcount=317
ET_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-18, 00:59   #10
Citrix
 
Citrix's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

155310 Posts
Default

I have attached version 1.3 32 bit. This should work on windows 98. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pfgw.zip (574.0 KB, 52 views)
Citrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using PFGW and NewPGen robert44444uk Prime Gap Searches 34 2018-06-06 14:37
Multithreaded PFGW IBethune Software 5 2018-03-16 17:52
PFGW GUI vs CMD houding Software 1 2016-06-20 12:11
PFGW 3.3.6 or PFGW 3.4.2 Please update now! Joe O Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 5 2010-09-30 14:07
Windows 7 Windows Update & Prime95 issue!!! Unregistered Information & Answers 14 2010-04-10 21:47

All times are UTC. The time now is 18:21.

Wed Jul 15 18:21:00 UTC 2020 up 112 days, 15:54, 1 user, load averages: 1.33, 1.89, 2.06

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.