mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2011-11-25, 15:41   #1
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

71×127 Posts
Default Call for reliable LL and DC workers...

As some of you might know, several GPU workers are using a new system called GPU to 72 to coordinate the trial factoring of low Mersenne Prime candidates to higher levels than CPUs can efficiently do. Currently we are taking LL candidates up to 72 "bits" and DC candidates up to 69.

The result of this system and work is several low candidates are released back to PrimeNet for general distribution daily (not to mention the candidates being eliminated because factors are found). However, we have also set up an option for high-throughput LL and DC workers to request low candidates directly.

Please see the Possible extension to the "GPU to 72 Tool" project? thread for background.

This has now been tested by several workers, and is ready for general usage. If you produce a large amount of LL and/or DC work, please consider joining. Importantly, you officially take over ownership of the candidates (as in, they show up in your PrimeNet assignments), and you get all the CPU credit for the work done.

You benefit by getting the lowest available candidates trial factored to higher than normal levels. GIMPS benefits by having more candidates at the low-end of the "wave fronts" tested by people who are likely to complete the work in a reasonable time.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2011-11-25 at 17:46 Reason: Title: s/high-throughput/reliable/
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 17:20   #2
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

111000000112 Posts

What's your idea of a "high throughput worker"? I have P4's that turn in LL-Ds once a month, a more recent machine that turns in an LL-D every two weeks, and a GPU that I think can do one in 3 days, but I haven't gotten to it for a month. I think a 50M LL-D was done in just a few days when someone erroneously got zeros in their residue recently.

OTOH, I understand that the single LL test controlling the next milestone has been worked on for a year or more....and it's been a month or two since davieddy has asked me to do a high TF on his favorite 45-50M exponent....the one he's LL'ing with crossed fingers....
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 17:27   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·17·241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
What's your idea of a "high throughput worker"? I have P4's that turn in LL-Ds once a month, a more recent machine that turns in an LL-D every two weeks, and a GPU that I think can do one in 3 days,
I think that the latter 2 are high throughput. If you you keep the first tightly controlled (don't have more than 40 days work queued up), I think that it would be welcome.
(I would suggest that the GPU do TF.)
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 17:28   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

71×127 Posts

Quote:
What's your idea of a "high throughput worker"? I have P4's that turn in LL-Ds once a month, a more recent machine that turns in an LL-D every two weeks, and a GPU that I think can do one in 3 days, but I haven't gotten to it for a month. I think a 50M LL-D was done in just a few days when someone erroneously got zeros in their residue recently.
Basically, anyone who regularly turns in LL and/or DC results, and isn't "Anonymous"....
Old 2011-11-25, 17:33   #5
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

63028 Posts

So contributors who are reliable but very clearly low-throughput are also welcome?
I am in this category, being a low-throughput but (since 2007) consistent contributor to GIMPS. Currently I work solely on DCs and I steadily turn in about one every two months. I believe there must be many hundreds like me.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 17:44   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

71·127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
So contributors who are reliable but very clearly low-throughput are also welcome?
I am in this category, being a low-throughput but (since 2007) consistent contributor to GIMPS. Currently I work solely on DCs and I steadily turn in about one every two months. I believe there must be many hundreds like me.
You would be most welcome. I guess the title of this thread should really have been "Call for reliable LL and DC workers..."

What we are trying to avoid is having these low candidates be assigned to Anonymous accounts which never turn in the results, and they languish for six months or so before being re-released and then re-assigned (possibly to another Anonymous account)...

But, any candidates which are not claimed by "reliable" workers are returned to PrimeNet, so some will be so assigned (unless, of course, we get enough LL/DC fire-power (hint, hint... )).
Old 2011-11-25, 17:46   #7
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2×23×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
You would be most welcome. [...]
Thanks, I'll register then.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 19:37   #8
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

71×127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Thanks, I'll register then.
Thanks for registering. And for taking an assignment.
Old 2011-11-25, 21:47   #9
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

10000110110002 Posts

Great news...I just computed that if I assign my entire farm (ok maybe small acreage) to DC I can complete the current DC backlog in only 400 years...OK maybe I need just a teeny bit of help.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 02:44   #10
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Do we still need to PM you to gain access to these tools?
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 03:00   #11
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

194A16 Posts
Default Eric dearest..

Quote:
...and it's been a month or two since davieddy has asked me to do a high TF on his favorite 45-50M exponent....the one he's LL'ing with crossed fingers....
I haven't forgotten you.
My latest love letter should be in your in tray.

I just thought that since my latest 45M expo was TFed to 71
courtesy of GPU to 72(sic) I would let you get on
with work more profitable to the project as a hole.

David
x

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2011-11-26 at 03:01
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote