Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2007-10-06, 18:12   #1
Sounder

Oct 2007
Germany, near Cologne...

102 Posts
Default Give back a work?

Hello at all,
a few days ago I started with my prime-calculations on one computer. After hours of reading in this forum I was thinking about the unused CPU-times of my other computers and now there are four assignt to my account. While configuring one of them I made a mistake: I received a work to do for a computer witch will never been finished. If I understood it right this work is now reserved for me, right? Is it possible "to give this work back to the server" so anyone else can receive it? I cannot find an answer to that question in the forum. Also I'm not shure if it's the right place to ask my question.
I hope my English is not too bad and someone can give me a short answer.

Thank's for helping.

Sounder
Sounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 21:24   #2
Mr. P-1

Jun 2003

7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounder View Post
Hello at all,
a few days ago I started with my prime-calculations on one computer. After hours of reading in this forum I was thinking about the unused CPU-times of my other computers and now there are four assignt to my account. While configuring one of them I made a mistake: I received a work to do for a computer witch will never been finished. If I understood it right this work is now reserved for me, right?
Probably.

You can check which exponents have been assigned to you from this page: http://mersenne.org/ips/accounts.html. Just enter your account name and password.

Quote:
Is it possible "to give this work back to the server" so anyone else can receive it?
Yes. Choose "Unreserve Exponent" under the "Advanced" menu. The assignment will be returned to the server when you next communicate.

Quote:
I cannot find an answer to that question in the forum. Also I'm not shure if it's the right place to ask my question.
As good a place as any.

Quote:
I hope my English is not too bad
It's certainly better than my ability in whatever your native language is.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 16:49   #3
Sounder

Oct 2007
Germany, near Cologne...

2 Posts

Hello Mr. P-1,

thank you for your answer, it resolved my problem. In this context another question: What about exponents which where no longer calculated, for example by users who left primenet? Is there somthing like "self-healing" after some time, so the exponents are assignable to other users? If so, how long does it take?

Greats

Sounder
Sounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 00:41   #4
Kevin

Aug 2002
Ann Arbor, MI

1101100012 Posts

When you look at your stats, the number in the column "exp" tells you how many days until the server considers that work assignment to be forgotten, and can reassign it. It's set up so that a work assignment expires after 60 days without communication to the server. You are able to manually extend assignments if you're on vacation for an extended period, or you know that work is being done a computer with no internet connection.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote