mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-10-06, 18:12   #1
Sounder
 
Oct 2007
Germany, near Cologne...

102 Posts
Default Give back a work?

Hello at all,
a few days ago I started with my prime-calculations on one computer. After hours of reading in this forum I was thinking about the unused CPU-times of my other computers and now there are four assignt to my account. While configuring one of them I made a mistake: I received a work to do for a computer witch will never been finished. If I understood it right this work is now reserved for me, right? Is it possible "to give this work back to the server" so anyone else can receive it? I cannot find an answer to that question in the forum. Also I'm not shure if it's the right place to ask my question.
I hope my English is not too bad and someone can give me a short answer.

Thank's for helping.

Sounder
Sounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 21:24   #2
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7·167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounder View Post
Hello at all,
a few days ago I started with my prime-calculations on one computer. After hours of reading in this forum I was thinking about the unused CPU-times of my other computers and now there are four assignt to my account. While configuring one of them I made a mistake: I received a work to do for a computer witch will never been finished. If I understood it right this work is now reserved for me, right?
Probably.

You can check which exponents have been assigned to you from this page: http://mersenne.org/ips/accounts.html. Just enter your account name and password.

Quote:
Is it possible "to give this work back to the server" so anyone else can receive it?
Yes. Choose "Unreserve Exponent" under the "Advanced" menu. The assignment will be returned to the server when you next communicate.

Quote:
I cannot find an answer to that question in the forum. Also I'm not shure if it's the right place to ask my question.
As good a place as any.

Quote:
I hope my English is not too bad
It's certainly better than my ability in whatever your native language is.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 16:49   #3
Sounder
 
Oct 2007
Germany, near Cologne...

2 Posts
Default

Hello Mr. P-1,

thank you for your answer, it resolved my problem. In this context another question: What about exponents which where no longer calculated, for example by users who left primenet? Is there somthing like "self-healing" after some time, so the exponents are assignable to other users? If so, how long does it take?

Greats

Sounder
Sounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 00:41   #4
Kevin
 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Ann Arbor, MI

1101100012 Posts
Default

When you look at your stats, the number in the column "exp" tells you how many days until the server considers that work assignment to be forgotten, and can reassign it. It's set up so that a work assignment expires after 60 days without communication to the server. You are able to manually extend assignments if you're on vacation for an extended period, or you know that work is being done a computer with no internet connection.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who can give me a proof ? aaa120 Miscellaneous Math 4 2019-03-09 16:46
l'├ętat, c'est moi. Give me what I want, and give it now!!! Stargate38 Lounge 7 2014-06-07 14:33
How to go back to work? Nipal Information & Answers 3 2013-09-04 18:20
time to give up on oil ? science_man_88 Science & Technology 7 2010-07-29 13:13
Oh give me a clone xilman Soap Box 5 2004-02-15 00:38

All times are UTC. The time now is 13:35.

Fri May 7 13:35:59 UTC 2021 up 29 days, 8:16, 0 users, load averages: 2.93, 2.53, 2.46

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.