mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2017-04-19, 21:05   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts
Default Astrology question

Ultimately, this is intended to be an astronomy question thread but, full disclosure, it's connected to Christian prophecy. Or, if you reject Christianity and want to be pedantic, claimed Christian prophecy.

If we end up arguing about the prophecy, please split this thread up and put the philosophical part in the Soap Box. I wish to have the technical aspect here, so more people see it, but I'll respect any decision made...But I might politely contest it. :)

Anyway, this is connected to events on two dates, maybe 3. The first 2 dates are December 23rd, 2016 and September 23rd 2017. The third possible date(not in chronological order) is September 23rd, 1917.

I don't have the original quote at this particular moment, but basically, among the 12 astrological signs(Christianity doesn't use astrology, but it is believed God sometimes uses pagan concepts to communicate His intentions) there's one that represents a woman, Virgo. So the prediction is that (1) The sun will be above her hand, relative to the orientation of the stars; the moon will be at her feet, again relative to the stars and...a planet, representing a fetus, will enter where the abdomen would be(has entered, if this stuff is true), circle around in there(from our reference point on the moving earth) and exit through her legs. The entry is predicted to have happened on December 23rd, 2016, and the exit is said to be September 23rd, 2017.

I haven't Googled to try to find simulation software, maybe this is dead easy to do and I simply have a poor 40-somethings faith in the power of the Internet. But I feel like this would be a good forum to start with, since I don't like to come up with passwords for stuff I'm going to post to and then walk away from a week later.

This is the website I got the info from, but it appears this interpretation of the prophecy is reasonably common among Christians. If any of my fellow Christians think there's a better link to use, they can feel free to post it. :)

I'm going to ignore the red dragon part, since I don't think that's going to be an astronomy thing(I honestly have no idea, but there's a lot of "red stuff" in the planets, so maybe I'm wrong)

https://remnantnewspaper.com/web/ind...in-the-heavens

Edit: Hmmmm, this one has a different date, November 20 2016.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2017-04-19 at 21:11
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-19, 21:28   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

958310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
there's one that represents a woman, Virgo. So the prediction is that (1) The sun will be above her hand, relative to the orientation of the stars; the moon will be at her feet, again relative to the stars and...a planet, representing a fetus, will enter where the abdomen would be(has entered, if this stuff is true), circle around in there(from our reference point on the moving earth) and exit through her legs.
You are looking at Revelation. In Revelation sun, moon, and stars are all symbolic. The symbolic nature of these symbols reach back to Genesis (read chapter 37). Don't look to the position of the actual sun and moon to predict events like the return of Jesus. I could point you to some books that cover Revelation. BTW, it is mainly a continuous unfolding prophecy (it does not jump back and forth in time.)
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 02:54   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

350710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
You are looking at Revelation. In Revelation sun, moon, and stars are all symbolic. The symbolic nature of these symbols reach back to Genesis (read chapter 37). Don't look to the position of the actual sun and moon to predict events like the return of Jesus. I could point you to some books that cover Revelation. BTW, it is mainly a continuous unfolding prophecy (it does not jump back and forth in time.)
Supposedly, something is supposed to happen on September 23rd of this year.

The reason I posted it is that if the astronomical events are crap, then it follows the predictions are as well. I can imagine a situation where these things are supposedly happening in the sky, relative to the Earth, when they're actually not. If the astronomical stuff isn't true, that's 100% reason to reject it all in one fell swoop. Hence, why I'm here asking a lot of non-Christians for help. With the way a lot of people on here are, they won't lie, but they're definitely eager to disprove Christian-based stuff. Good combination for my question.
Old 2017-04-21, 02:58   #4
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

Damn, mistyped.

...Tthis is connected to events on two dates, maybe 3. The first 2 dates are December 23rd, 2016 and September 23rd 2017. The third possible date(not in chronological order) is September 23rd, 1917.

I don't have the original quote at this particular moment, but basically, among the 12 astrological signs(Christianity doesn't use astrology, but it is believed God sometimes uses pagan concepts to communicate His intentions) there's one that represents a woman, Virgo. So the prediction is that (1) The sun will be above her head(corrected from hand), relative to the orientation of the stars; the moon will be at her feet, again relative to the stars and...a planet, representing a fetus, will enter where the abdomen would be(has entered, if this stuff is true), circle around in there(from our reference point on the moving earth) and exit through her legs. The entry is predicted to have happened on December 23rd, 2016, and the exit is said to be September 23rd, 2017.

Edit: I didn't put this here to discuss prophecy, I just figure someone might be willing to check things if they have the software. The thing to check for is, on December 23rd, 2016, treating Virgo as if it's physically a woman, is the sun above her head(nearby, not across the sky), is the moon below her feet(again nearby), and, if you think of her as upright, is Jupiter entering her abdomen from the right? Then, does Jupiter circle around in her abdomen, relatively speaking, then exit through the legs on September 23rd, 2017?

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2017-04-21 at 03:15
Old 2017-04-21, 04:04   #5
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

8,167 Posts

Are you using the same calendar that the people who made these predictions used?

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 15:15   #6
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×2,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Ultimately, this is intended to be an astronomy question thread but, full disclosure, it's connected to Christian prophecy. Or, if you reject Christianity and want to be pedantic, claimed Christian prophecy.

If we end up arguing about the prophecy, please split this thread up and put the philosophical part in the Soap Box. I wish to have the technical aspect here, so more people see it, but I'll respect any decision made...But I might politely contest it. :)

Anyway, this is connected to events on two dates, maybe 3. The first 2 dates are December 23rd, 2016 and September 23rd 2017.
From the Vatican Observatory Foundation blog, we have Biblical Signs in the Sky? September 23, 2017
Quote:
So the sun in Virgo, the moon at Virgo’s “feet”, and Jupiter in the constellation are regular occurrences. This leaves the planets at the “head” (the number depending on the number of stars granted to Leo) as the determining factor in making a “momentous” celestial arrangement. Indeed, while various Internet sources speak of the specific celestial arrangement here as being “unique in human history” or “once in 7000 years”, in fact it is not unique to September 23, 2017. This basic arrangement happened before—in September 1827, in September 1483, in September 1293, and in September 1056. These are all shown at the end of this post. I only searched back one thousand years, from 2017 to 1017—there are undoubtedly other examples outside of that time period, and probably a couple examples that I missed within that time period.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2017-04-21 at 15:17
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 02:56   #7
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
From the Vatican Observatory Foundation blog, we have Biblical Signs in the Sky? September 23, 2017
You forgot about Jupiter entering from the right. Is Jupiter entering from the right? And circling for 9 months, from December 23rd, 2016 to September 23, 2017?
Old 2017-04-22, 03:05   #8
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Are you using the same calendar that the people who made these predictions used?

The following is wrong, I'll but dashed lines at the beginning and end of the wrong stuff, so people can manage their time on here better :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They specifically said those dates, yes. Also, though I guess this would tie into the religious aspect, I've heard the Jewish year 6000 "happens" in 2017. I put the quotes because I don't know how the Jewish calendar works. If "a day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as a day" then it might be dawn on the Jewish holy day of Saturday starting in 2017.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say dawn because Jews in Jesus time, if not now, thought of dawn as the official beginning of the day. I, myself, think of midnight to 5am as times that need to be clarified, if ever talked about, rather than simply saying last night or tonight, simply because most people tend to be asleep. In their local timezone, of course.

I think it would be interesting to research the Holy Day habits of Jews of this time and Jesus time, especially early morning stuff, and compare them to a "1000-year day."

Edit: Turns out that I'm wrong about the Jewish year, the year 6000 for Jews won't happen until around 2239 AD. Kinda makes me want to move onto other stuff now, lol. Though I'm still curious about Jupiter.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2017-04-22 at 03:27
Old 2017-04-22, 04:17   #9
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts

Quote:
Though I'm still curious about Jupiter.
Jupiter "circling" might refer to one of the planet's retrograde periods. That is, moving backward from an Earth viewpoint. Read "ephemeris" on Wikipedia. You can find the digital version at many sites online. Such calculations (of apparent planetary motion) can be projected backward or forward to any desired date. By this, you could see what was going on in the sky at various times.

As to calendars, the count of days and years, and the planetary/stellar positions are independent of any particular system of organization, i. e.: calendars.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 09:57   #10
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

23×3×72 Posts

I recommend you give Stellarium a try it's a open source planetarium.

Last couple of days Jupiter has been very bright as it is near opposition.
Code:
2017-04-21 00:00:00, 2457864.41667,   13h02m44.9s, -4°59'08.3", -2.20
Attached a plot of Jupiters position in the night sky (at 00:00 local time) from
2016-10-01 00:00:00 to 2017-09-30 00:00:00

BTW, I think the ancient astronomers were on drugs or had a lot of imagination, the constellation is supposed to be representing a Virgin (Virgo). I see a trapezium with a few lines attached .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stellarium-jupiter-2017-04-21-0000.png
Views:	83
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	15966  
Attached Files
File Type: csv Jupiter.csv (25.6 KB, 69 views)
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 13:32   #11
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

350710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
I recommend you give Stellarium a try it's a open source planetarium.

Last couple of days Jupiter has been very bright as it is near opposition.
Code:
2017-04-21 00:00:00, 2457864.41667,   13h02m44.9s, -4°59'08.3", -2.20
Attached a plot of Jupiters position in the night sky (at 00:00 local time) from
2016-10-01 00:00:00 to 2017-09-30 00:00:00

BTW, I think the ancient astronomers were on drugs or had a lot of imagination, the constellation is supposed to be representing a Virgin (Virgo). I see a trapezium with a few lines attached .
Thanks for the coordinates, that does appear to be Virgo's abdomen. As to the virgin aspect, there's a reference to a virgin in a certain book, though that woman's been long dead. :)

And, yes, drugs might easily have been a part of what made the constellations the constellations in people's minds. A lot of drugs occur naturally in the environment, and I think it's mostly the concentration of these drugs(like in a crack rock) that makes them truly dangerous.