mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2010-03-29, 04:11   #1
esqrkim

Mar 2010
California, USA

2·13 Posts
Default Editing computer info in My Account

I am trying to correct the computer info in My Account, but there doesn't seem to be any way to edit or delete computers. Can you help?

Thanks.
esqrkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 06:24   #2
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Re: deleting a computer

How much poking around the CPU (AKA "Computers") page, which I recommended earlier in another thread, did you do before you posted this?

Login at http://mersenne.org/

Click on the "Computers" heading link on your summary page. It'll take you to

http://mersenne.org/cpus/

Beneath the table is a checkbox beside a button labeled "Drop checked CPUs". Did you try that, but it didn't work?

You have to check both the box beside the computer you want to drop, in the column headed "Name", and the checkbox under the table, to the left of the "Drop checked CPUs" button, then click on the "Drop checked CPUs" button. (This two-checkbox requirement is to avoid accidental deletions.)

Did you try clicking on that button, but not after having checked the two boxes specified in the preceding paragraph?

Or were you unable to find your way to that page (http://mersenne.org/cpus/), by clicking on the "Computers" heading link on your summary page, while you were logged in at http://mersenne.org/ ?

Perhaps my earlier "look around the CPUs page -- there's something for deleting" advice was too vague?

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2010-03-29 at 06:37
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 06:41   #3
esqrkim

Mar 2010
California, USA

2×13 Posts
Smile

Cheesehead, you sound a little sarcastic, but sarcasms sometimes don't come through too well in writing, so I'd appreciate it if you could hold off on unnecessary comments and just provide some useful information.

FYI, I decided to start a separate post becuase I did not want to steal the thread from the originator. I believe it's called courtesy.

Actually, your information was a little vague. I went into my account and could not get to the page you were describing. Whenever i click on the "Computer" link, the website just threw me back to a logon page. So, after going around the circle a few times, and seeing you didn't provide much info in the other thread, I decided to give someone else a try.

I'll follow through with your added informtion and see where I get. I'll keep you posted if you promise to be a little patient.

Last fiddled with by esqrkim on 2010-03-30 at 06:54
Old 2010-03-30, 06:47   #4
esqrkim

Mar 2010
California, USA

328 Posts

I am back .... I followed through, but it takes me to the same logon page as shown in the attachment.

What am i missing here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	4934  
Old 2010-03-30, 11:49   #5
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

2×5×167 Posts

Like Cheesehead said (not very explicitely) you must be logged on on the site (using your GIMPS user ID and password.) Since you receive a logon prompt that is not the case. Of course, logically, the site should not show the "My Account" and "My Team" menu items unless you are logged in. On the other hand, how could a site determine who wants to access "My CPU's" if that someone does not identify her or himself ?

Jacob
S485122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 18:48   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Also, your browser must accept cookies in order for you to login. (The login page ought to have that information added. But it's a fairly common requirement at every, or almost every, web site at which users can log in.)

As for my supposedly not having explicitly said eskrqim must be logged in: Note the second paragraph of post #2:

"Login at http://mersenne.org/"

Not just "go to the login page at ..." with no instruction as to what to do when one arrived there, but the simple directive "Login at http://mersenne.org/".

I did specifically direct esqrkim to log in.

- - -

esqrkim,

I was not being sarcastic when I wrote post #2. (Perhaps that's why the supposed "sarcasm" didn't come across well!)

I was upset that you seemingly disregarded my previous advice (you made no mention of attempting to access the CPU/Computers page in your post #1), but also I was simply trying to be more explicit in order not to omit necessary instructions for your navigation.

I asked you all those questions in post #2 so I could determine where you got lost! (You hadn't posted any account of what steps you had tried and what you hadn't, in post #1.)

I didn't make any unnecessary comments; every one I made was necessary for some part of (a) directing you to the proper place, and/or (b) determining what you had tried and what you hadn't tried, so I could provide better help. (Maybe you didn't see the reason for some of them, but I did have a reason for every one.) I did provide useful information.

If your post #1 had included the information that's in paragraph 3 of post #3, about what you had already tried, I wouldn't have needed to ask so many questions or make as many comments as I did in post #2. I would have had a much more specific idea of what had gone wrong, so I wouldn't have had to write a lot of stuff that you possibly might not have done.

I don't criticize you for having started a new thread; there are good reasons both for and against continuing what you perceived as "steal the thread from the originator".

Examples:

If you had made your post in that other thread, where we'd both previously posted, I wouldn't have wondered so much whether you'd overlooked or ignored my previous advice. Referencing our previous posts in that thread would've been simpler. It would've been more obvious that your new post was intended to be a continuation of what we'd been discussing there.

OTOH, starting a new thread in order to continue a discussion you considered off-topic in the old thread was, indeed, courteous to the originator of the old thread. It would also have been courteous to have included, in this thread's original post, a link back to the other thread for easy reference.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2010-03-30 at 19:27
Old 2010-03-31, 03:14   #7
esqrkim

Mar 2010
California, USA

2610 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Cheesehead.

I actually did log into my account and saw the "Computers" link. This is what I've been pressing when I kept getting sent back to the screenshot I uploaded.

Now, I do know that my browser is pretty strict about cookies. I will try turning off the firewall to see if that helps.

Thanks.
Old 2010-03-31, 03:25   #8
esqrkim

Mar 2010
California, USA

1A16 Posts

Cheesehead:

The problem was the cookie blocker. I allowed cookies and now things are working like you're describing.

Thanks for the help.
Old 2010-03-31, 07:08   #9
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqrkim View Post
The problem was the cookie blocker. I allowed cookies and now things are working like you're describing.
Often, browsers can allow a list of specific sites to set cookies; you don't have to turn cookies on or off for all sites just to get them from one site.