mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2011-04-27, 07:58   #45
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

2·7·47 Posts

The NPLB unplanned outRage was in the network.
Server uptime is currently 60 days 9 hours 24 mins which is how long ago the last planned outage was for software updates. (see previous posts in this thread)
For the parts that we have control of we are doing pretty well, IMO.

Last fiddled with by AMDave on 2011-04-27 at 08:27 Reason: R
AMDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 08:40   #46
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

53028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
It would suck to have a hard drive crash and lose all of the LLR residues.
Those ~25 Mio residues are also hold on different drives at Gary and me, too.
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 08:43   #47
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22×7×359 Posts

Sorry all. Strange thing happened. After losing internet access on my laptop, I went to inspect things. Apparently the cleaning lady bumped the router while cleaning it and the internet chord came partially out. I plugged it back in and the internet came back up on my laptop so I went on my marry way. Alas, after many hours I found out that the server machine still didn't have internet access. I then disconnected and reconnected the internet chord from the back and that did the trick.

Stupid cleaning ladies have messed me up more than once now. Sorry about the problems.

To all concerned: As David alluded to, we have a very detailed and frequent backup process in place.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 09:13   #48
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

12228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
...bumped the router while cleaning it...
On the upside:
The router is now clean and won't have to be bumped for months
Old 2011-04-27, 16:05   #49
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

130108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Sorry all. Strange thing happened. After losing internet access on my laptop, I went to inspect things. Apparently the cleaning lady bumped the router while cleaning it and the internet chord came partially out. I plugged it back in and the internet came back up on my laptop so I went on my marry way. Alas, after many hours I found out that the server machine still didn't have internet access. I then disconnected and reconnected the internet chord from the back and that did the trick.

Stupid cleaning ladies have messed me up more than once now. Sorry about the problems.

To all concerned: As David alluded to, we have a very detailed and frequent backup process in place.
If you ever need another person for backup of NPLB/CRUS/etc data then I would be happy to donate some disk space. I have unlimited downloads at home so I don't need to worry about downloading huge files.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 23:05   #50
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

275410 Posts

And again the servers are not reachable.

Max knows about it and I hope he can fix it as fast as possible.
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 23:18   #51
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

2·7·47 Posts

I can tell you that the server is still up and running.
I am logged into it.
The web server is also still running.
So are the ports.

The DDNS link still works: http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org/stats/

It seems we have a problem with the DNS translation of www.nopimeleftbehind.net

Over to Max and Gary.
Old 2011-04-28, 23:24   #52
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

2×7×47 Posts

ip traceroute shows that www.noprimeleftbehind.net is pointing to 74.62.165.120

that's wrong

it should be pointing to 173.197.48.155

Gary / Max will need to update the IP in the easyDNS manager

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2011-05-04 at 05:15
Old 2011-04-28, 23:42   #53
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
ip traceroute shows that www.noprimeleftbehind.net is pointing to 74.62.165.120

that's wrong

it should be pointing to 173.197.48.155

Gary / Max will need to update the IP in the easyDNS manager
Hmm...looks like Gary got a new dynamic IP address. We never did get the static IP thing set up--for some reason it never worked very well with his router, so we just left it on dynamic, which essentially never changed once he was on the business class service and its separate IP pool. However, it seems to have finally decided to change now, for reasons only the ISP knows. Hopefully this one will last a good long time like the last did...

To resolve the problem, I need to log into the control panel at EasyDNS (the domain registrar) and change the DNS record to point to the new IP. That done, the problem should be cleared up within an hour or so. However, I cannot for the life of me find Gary's EasyDNS password in my email archives; I could have sworn that he'd sent it to me at some point, but at any rate it's not there. Gary, could you send that to me as soon as you get the chance? Thanks.

Meanwhile, for all others: we should be able to get everything working again at the usual noprimeleftbehind.net sometime later today, but in the meantime, you can point your clients to nplb-gb1.no-ip.org (the old server address, which has continued to work all along and, because it's a dynamic instead of static DNS record, still works despite noprimeleftbehind.net being out of commission).

@Chris: IIRC, you had the IP address hardcoded into the PRPnet clients on your new i7 because it wasn't working with the regular domain name. (Or it could have been LLRnet clients...my memory fails me. ) If you're still doing that, you'll need to change it to the new IP, 173.197.48.155, to get your clients back online. My apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 05:41   #54
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22·7·359 Posts

Max,

Your text was extremely misleading. I was out and had no idea that the servers were not accessable. When you said, "Oops, scratch that, it appears DNS related", I assumed that you just needed to fix some DNS stuff so that I could remotely access my machines. I had no idea that that was related to the accessability of the servers. Please do not alert me and then make it seem unimportant with the next text. I can't even upload CRUS pages updates now. I was busy at the time but could have texted you back with the password if I thought it was any kind of big deal. Anyway, I just now Emailed the password. Hopefully it is correct.

Sheesh, what a friggin pain this stuff is.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2011-04-29 at 05:44
Old 2011-04-29, 06:05   #55
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22·7·359 Posts

OK, I just now got on the EasyDNS page. I confirmed that the password that I sent to Max is correct. After browsing it for 15 mins. for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to change the IP address to the correct one.

Dave, I've sent you my EasyDNS ID and password. If you get this before Max does, perhaps you can correct it. Thanks.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2011-04-29 at 06:11